Bill Shatner reviews the The Force Awakens trailer

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
sorry, too many fukkin' youtubes ads I'm afraid. I think I'm going mental.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What is a bit trying is that we are getting trailers for a movie we won't see for another year. If it's a year away...Who cares..:roll:.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Basically, it looks like just about every other Star Wars film that's been released. And of those six previous films, only two of them were any good. So this film will likely be crap as well.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
What is a bit trying is that we are getting trailers for a movie we won't see for another year. If it's a year away...Who cares..:roll:.

Not exactly new. The others got a lot of publicity over a year out and given all the attention its getting it would seem a lot care.

Basically, it looks like just about every other Star Wars film that's been released. And of those six previous films, only two of them were any good. So this film will likely be crap as well.

Quite possible but even the worst one made over a billion dollars at the box office. Over 200 million of that came in a re release over ten years later well after everyone knew it was the worst. Bad or not, there is going to be a lot of people and a lot of money going to it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
sorry, too many fukkin' youtubes ads I'm afraid. I think I'm going mental.

What pisses me off is when a freaking ad starts up in the middle of a 6 minute video! Are you kidding me? You had a damned ad at the start of it, let me watch the damned SIX MINUTE video without another damned ad!!!!

The main difference is that Lucas will have nothing to do with this movie.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
as they might say on 4chan, you know you're an oldfag if you remember youtube without the ads. :lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
as they might say on 4chan, you know you're an oldfag if you remember youtube without the ads. :lol:

I've never really watched Youtube much until recently. I wanted to watch some Doom Let's Plays.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Comedian Phill Jupitus, a star of Never Mind the Buzzcocks and QI, is a bit of a fan of Star Wars, yet he can't bring himself to watch the latest film's trailer.

The 52-year old, who can be seen in Urinetown at London's Apollo Theatre until 10 January, last week told the BBC's Neil Smith why he is holding out.

Phill Jupitus: Why I'm avoiding Star Wars trailer

BBC News
9 December 2014

Phill Jupitus as he appears in his role as Urinetown's Caldwell B Cladwell

Star Wars fans across the globe rejoiced last month when the first teaser trailer for JJ Abrams' keenly anticipated continuation of the saga was unveiled.

Yet comedian Phill Jupitus, star of TV shows including QI and Never Mind the Buzzcocks - and a one-time aficionado of George Lucas's intergalactic saga - was pointedly not one of them.

Jupitus, who is currently playing a villainous tycoon in West End musical Urinetown, used to perform a stand-up show in which he talked about the series and performed a spot-on impression of Chewbacca the Wookiee.

So far, though, the 52-year-old has yet to watch the 88-second trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Last week he told the BBC's Neil Smith why he is holding out.

I can't bring myself to watch it. I've not seen it, in a very deliberate way. It was on in the dressing room the other night and I had to leave - I walked out the room.

People have described it to me, the Millennium Falcon doing that [makes 'schhh' noise] and I can see it in my head. But I'm just avoiding it.

Why? Because Episodes I, II and III [The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith] were so disappointing.

I, II and III to me was like watching someone play [computer game] World of Warcraft. It was too CG; there was not enough real world.

The Millennium Falcon spaceship appears at the end of the Star Wars teaser

You could smell the green screen in every scene, in every amazing vista of Coruscant. It was like watching Finding Nemo for me; there was no joy in it.

What was brilliant about the first Star Wars film was the grubbiness of it: rusty robots, dirty transporters, second-hand rockets, things that broke. That was a real world.

Carrie Fisher [Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy] came to a QI [recording] one night and I could barely move - I was just rigid.

But the films they made afterwards were so shiny, so full of big, clever, computer-generated monsters, that with each one it was really a law of diminishing returns.

I genuinely can't watch it. I've been burned too badly.

Star Wars to me is like an old girlfriend who I chucked ages ago, who if I met now it would be really awkward. I'd be like, 'I'm watching different films now; I'm seeing someone else.'

It's a bit too much. I'd invested too much in IV, V and VI [A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi].

Jupitus has been a team captain on BBC Two pop quiz Never Mind The Buzzcocks since its inception in 1996

What would I like to see? A return to the values that were established in the first three films... I sound like I'm at a Conservative party conference now.

I want [a return to] the simplicity of it. Practical things in your hand have a physicality and a weight, even if they're lasers.

I met an effects bloke in Essex, he drinks in my local coffee shop. He said [the makers of the new film] bought every gas-bottled air gun in England when they arrived because they wanted the Stormtroopers' guns to have a kick when they fired them. You don't have to fake it; it looks real.

It's like the show I'm doing now, which is beautifully grubby. [Urinetown is a musical satire set in a future where a water shortage has led to a ban on all private toilets.] It reminded me a lot of [Terry Gilliam film] Brazil when I first saw it, a modern world entrenched in a 30s aesthetic.

It's an odd mix between the quirky and the dark, like late Monty Python.

But I think film-making is going back that way anyway. We've had all the fun and games of these computer effects films and people are a bit sick of it - we're blase about that now.

Phill Jupitus can be seen in Urinetown at London's Apollo Theatre until 10 January. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is released in December 2015.

BBC News - Phill Jupitus: Why I'm avoiding Star Wars trailer

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Aaron Paul in talks for ‘Star Wars’ spin-off role: report
WENN.com
First posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 08:50 AM EST | Updated: Monday, December 29, 2014 09:03 AM EST
Actor Aaron Paul is reportedly in talks to lead the cast of the first Star Wars spin-off film.
The former Breaking Bad star is set to sign up for a role in the as-yet-untitled movie centering around a young Han Solo, according to Star Wars news website Making Star Wars.
While it is unclear what part Paul would potentially play, many fans have suggested he bears a striking resemblance to Harrison Ford, who played Solo in the original film trilogy.
The project will be helmed by Godzilla director Gareth Edwards, and slated for release in December, 2016, a year after Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens hits cinemas.
The casting news comes after Paul took on the role of Luke Skywalker in a live reading of Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back earlier this month.
Aaron Paul. (Brian To/WENN.COM)

Aaron Paul in talks for ‘Star Wars’ spin-off role: report | Movies | Entertainme
he looks nothing like harrison ford. :roll: