Metallica become first metal band to play Glastonbury

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Californian heavy metal band Metallica shook the genteel English countryside (and a few middle-aged hippies and a lot of left-wing, middle-class, BBC-type snobs) last night when they became the first metal band ever to play Glastonbury, the world's biggest music festival, since its inception in 1970.

The band took to the famous Pyramid Stage at the festival at Worthy Farm near Pilton, Somerset, in the shadow of Glastonbury Tor, at 10.09 pm in front of a vast crowd and played some of their most famous songs in a performance that lasted just over 90 minutes, which was also shown live on BBC2.

Afterwards, the band said how grateful they were to perform at the world's greatest music festival.

Drummer Lars Ulrich said: "That was sensational. I don't remember much of it... the energy was fantastic."

Speaking to the BBC's Jo Whiley backstage after their set, Ulrich said he had been at Glastonbury since Friday and wanted to immerse himself in the experience.

"We have one shot, you never know if you'll be invited back," he said.

"I want to soak up every second of this thing. We would love to come back."

Metallica: Glastonbury experience was 'sensational'

By Mark Savage
BBC News entertainment reporter
29 June 2014

Metallica on stage at Glastonbury last night

There have been mixed reactions to headline act Metallica at the Glastonbury Festival, as Lizo Mzimba reports

Heavy metal band Metallica won over new fans as they headlined on Glastonbury's famous Pyramid Stage on Saturday.

The band played for 90 minutes, with highlights including One, Cyanide and an extended version of Master Of Puppets.

The quartet are the first metal act to headline the festival since its inception in 1970.

Drummer Lars Ulrich said: "That was sensational. I don't remember much of it... the energy was fantastic."

Speaking to the BBC's Jo Whiley backstage after their set, Ulrich said he had been at Glastonbury since Friday and wanted to immerse himself in the experience.

"We have one shot, you never know if you'll be invited back," he said.

Metallica opened their Glastonbury set with Creeping Death

"I want to soak up every second of this thing. We would love to come back."

He added that he was looking forward to Sunday's acts, including Dolly Parton and Kasabian.

"I'll be the last one (here)... the one walking round with a garbage bag on Tuesday."

Asked to describe his Glastonbury experience in one sentence, Ulrich simply said: "Other-worldly."

Even the band's detractors would have been hard-pushed to deny their musicianship.

Fans and supporters lined the back of the stage as they ended the main set with Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman.

"Metallica. Glastonbury. Together at last," declared songwriter James Hetfield. "That felt good."

Returning for an encore of Whiskey in the Jar and Seek and Destroy, the band launched dozens of black Metallica-branded weather balloons into the audience, triggering a giant game of dodgeball between the audience and security guards.

Lars Ulrich told the BBC that headlining the festival was "the biggest honour"

The band played an encore of Whiskey in the Jar and Seek and Destroy

"Metallica loves you, Glastonbury," said Hetfield as the band took their final bow.

"You made us feel so good. Thank you for having us."

Taking the microphone, Ulrich added: "There's no place on this earth like this beautiful Glastonbury Festival. Thank you for letting us be part of your experience and we hope to see you one more time."

Formed 33 years ago, the group's best-known songs include Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters and Master of Puppets.

Prior to their arrival on the Pyramid Stage, the band played a clip of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, in tribute to actor Eli Wallach, who died this week.

Ennio Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold, which features in the classic Western, has been Metallica's introduction music for many years.

The band also addressed criticism of Hetfield's involvement with pro-hunting groups head-on, showing an extended clip of an English fox hunt, soundtracked by Sweet's glam rock classic Fox on the Run.

At the climax of the hunt, four men in bear costumes shot the riders from their horses.

The bear's heads were removed to reveal the four grinning members of Metallica.

Watch last night's performance:

Metallica :Live At Glastonbury 2014 BBC [Full Concert] - YouTube

In the field

Metallica rocked Glastonbury with a strange mix of arrogance and humility.

Metallica set list

Creeping Death
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Wherever I May Roam
Sad But True
Fade to Black
Cyanide
The Unforgiven
The Memory Remains
One
Master of Puppets
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

Encore:

Whiskey in the Jar
Seek and Destroy

Speaking to the crowd 15 minutes into the set, Hetfield said: "Glasto - Metallica is grateful to be invited to such an event."

They knew they had something to prove - but they were also representing a genre of music that, they feel, has been unfairly maligned.

"We're very proud to be representing the heavier side of music," said Hetfield, dedicating a song to "all the UK bands dreaming of playing this stage" and uttering the cry: "Do you want heavy?'"

The answer was a definitive "yes".

The band didn't hold back, delivering a sensory assault of punchy power riffs from the outset.

But it wasn't just, as one critic suggested, "loud one, loud one, loud one, encore" - with moments of acoustic reflection and supple musicianship amidst the double kick drums.

In the end, Metallica did what they came to do - win over new fans.

And for metalheads, the show will have been much more resonant than the Rolling Stones' headline set was for their audience last year.

The 2014 Glastonbury Festival has taken place at the weekend

Jack White played the famous Pyramid Stage

The Manic Street Preachers performed as part of Saturday's line-up

Lana Del Ray was also a highlight of the second day of the festival

Former Led Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant played a set inspired by folk songs and world music

Kelis was performing at her third Glastonbury

Crowds endured heavy showers throughout Saturday with parts of Worthy Farm becoming a swamp

BBC News - Metallica: Glastonbury experience was 'sensational'

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
metallica sucks

but hey, dolly parton just finished her set so all is not lost

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just listened to Sabbath's latest - 13. Congrats to Ozzie for taking them from God-like status to worn-out has-been in wimpy and weak vocal tracks. All-ll right

And yet the album reached No1 globally.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The name still sells.

Because they make great music.

Great bed tracks.
Great album (which reached No1 worldwide, including Canada). Great songs. I could have it blasting out of the stereo all day.

Looking forward to Sabbath performing in Hyde Park on Friday.

Too bad Ozzie's weak imitation of Sabbath couldn't be overdubbed out
Ozzie imitating Sabbath? What are you on about?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Because they make great music.

Great album (which reached No1 worldwide, including Canada). Great songs. I could have it blasting out of the stereo all day.

Looking forward to Sabbath performing in Hyde Park on Friday.

Ozzie imitating Sabbath? What are you on about?

You, being the self-appointed expert on everything, can only comprehend the parts from which you can glean insult. Screw off and allow me my opinion. Ozzie WAS great. He's a doped-out has-been with a weak old voice trying to be the Ozzie of yore now. You're right. Sabbath itself (sans Ward, who hates Ozzie's control freak attitude) make a great sound. Unfortunately, Ozzy's not completely covered.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Seems rather ironic that Sabbath isn't the first metal at Glastonbury

There are lots of metal bands, but only one of them can be the first. It could have been Sabbath; it could have been Priest; it could have been Maiden; it could have been Led Zep; it could have been Megadeth; it could have been Slipknot; it could have been Venom; it could have been Witchfinder General; it could have been Saxon; it could have been Angel Witch. In the end it was Metallica whom Michael Eavis eventually got.

'cuz tapping that end with the sword is considered an insult
Rubbish. A campaign is currently underway by fans to have Ozzy knighted.

"I've heard about that. Getting knighted? I can't imagine anything better," he told Time Out. "And my wife [Sharon] would become a Lady, which would be pretty cool. But I'm not gonna get upset if it doesn't happen. I never thought I'd get further than Aston [in Birmingham, England, where he was born]."

Read more at Ozzy Osbourne: ?Knighthood would be great? | News | NME.COM

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Man, you like to make a lot about nothing. Hasn't changed my opinion, in the least, that I think Sweet Leaf or Paranoid were sung by a much better instrument than, even, No More Tears was

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Man, you like to make a lot about nothing. Hasn't changed my opinion, in the least, that I think Sweet Leaf or Paranoid were sung by a much better instrument than, even, No More Tears was

I've never listened to No More Tears, but there's nothing wrong with Ozzy's vocals on 13. Not in my opinion and in the opinions of many others.

The Glastonbury crowd is always thrilled, no matter who they're watching. I've never yet seen a Glastonbury crowd boo or walk away from a performance they were watching.

I watched a bit of Dolly Parton last night on the BBC's Glastonbury highlights programme, and it was boring. Country music isn't my cup of tea. Basically it consists of one single melody all the way through (like much of North American music) and lyrics about rolling around in the hay and shagging Fanny Mae in the barn. I think someone once described it as "bad rock with a fiddle."

Leicester indie/psychedelic/electronic rockers Kasabian closed 2014's Glastonbury last night with a stomping performance on the Pyramid Stage in front of another vast crowd and an audience watching live on BBC2. It was not their first performance at Glastonbury but their first there on the famous Pyramid Stage.

Kasabian rocked Glastonbury last night

The boys - vocalist Tom Meighan, guitarist and vocalist Sergio Pizzorno, bassist Chris Edwards and drummer Ian Matthews - took to the stage around 10pm last night and performed for almost an hour and forty minutes.

A career in music that started 10 years ago with their eponymous album spurned the deep and brooding Club Foot, and led them to an Other Stage appearance at Glastonbury in 2005. Numerous awards followed, including Best British Group at the 2010 BRITS and Best Live Act award at the 2007 NME Awards, plus celebrated headline sets at Reading and Leeds and T in the Park.

The new album, 48:13

However, Serge and Tom believe that this next album, 48:13, is the one to get excited about, claiming in the NME that "everything has been training to this point."

New single EEZ-EH certainly marks a return to the tripped-out sounds of 2004, taking you on a rollercoaster ride through dirty disco with monkey cackles and apocalyptic warnings about Google peppered throughout.

Drawing on 5 albums worth of tracks characterised by explosive drops and herculean guitar riffs, these hirsute rock stars cannot fail to echo and shake the rolling Somerset hills. Ear-bleeding in a good way, their closing set on the Pyramid Stage is the perfect time to send away the battle-weary Pilton warriors in a burst of sweaty and frenzied rock 'n' roll.

Watch Kasabian performing at Glastonbury last night to close the 2014 festival: BBC - Glastonbury - 2014 - Acts - Kasabian

Last edited:

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Or, as I like to call them ever since their disasterous cover of Whiskey in the Jar and Napster hissy fit, "The Band Formerly Known as Metallica."