Doctor Who fans around the world await 50th anniversary special

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
On what is the sci-fi show's 50th birthday, millions of Doctor Who fans around the world are awaiting the special episode to mark the occasion.

The episode, called The Day of the Doctor is to be broadcast in 90 countries simultaneously at 7.50pm UK time in what is likely to be the largest simulcast of a TV drama in history.

The episode - which will feature Zygons, Elizabeth I and THREE Doctors - will also be screened in 3D in more than 1,500 cinemas across the world, including Australia, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Ecuador, Spain, Sweden, Norway and Iceland.

Also appearing in the episode are what are probably the world's most famous sci-fi baddies - the evil Daleks. It will be the 98th episode in which the Doctor's greatest foes have appeared.

Fans around the world should expect an "emotional wallop" at the end of the episode, says the show's boss Steven Moffat.

The story involves a mystery at London's National Gallery in the present day, as well as "a murderous plot" in Elizabethan England in 1562.

Guest stars include Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart and Joanna Page as Elizabeth I.

Doctor Who fans around the world await 50th anniversary special

By Tim Masters Entertainment and arts correspondent
BBC News
23 November 2013

The three Doctors: Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt in the 50th anniversary episode

Doctor Who fans around the world should expect an "emotional wallop" at the end of the 50th anniversary episode, says the show's boss Steven Moffat.

"It's the most ambitious episode we've ever done," he said.

The episode, The Day of the Doctor, will be broadcast in more than 90 countries at the same time as it airs on BBC One on Saturday night.

The BBC says it is likely to be the largest simulcast of a TV drama in history.

"This event means it is a worldwide show not simply a British phenomenon," Moffat said.

The episode will also be screened in 3D in more than 1,500 cinemas across the world, including Australia, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Ecuador, Spain, Sweden, Norway and Iceland.

The 50th anniversary adventure stars Matt Smith (the current Eleventh Doctor), David Tennant (the Tenth Doctor) and John Hurt (as the War Doctor, a previously unknown incarnation of the Doctor) as different incarnations of the Doctor.

John Hurt's version of the Doctor was first introduced at the end of the episode, The Name of the Doctor, broadcast in May.

Jenna Coleman plays companion Clara, while Billie Piper returns as Rose, the Tenth Doctor's companion.

The episode will also feature the Daleks and the return of shape-shifting aliens the Zygons, who first appeared in 1975.

The story involves a mystery at London's National Gallery in the present day, as well as "a murderous plot" in Elizabethan England in 1562.

Guest stars include Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart and Joanna Page as Elizabeth I.

The Zygons, not seen since the mid-70s, make a return in the anniversary special

Evil: The Daleks make an appearance in tonight's episode. It will be the 98th episode which they have appeared in

Steven Moffat, Doctor Who's lead writer and executive producer, admitted he was "nervous" about the special episode finally being seen around the world.

"I'm glad we don't do it every time, but it's very exciting to do it once," he told the BBC News website.

He added he hoped fans would be "very happy" with the 75-minute special. "It's got a big emotional wallop at the end, I think they'll be cheering."

Moffat, along with Matt Smith and Jenna Colman, attended the official Doctor Who anniversary celebration at London's ExCel on Friday.

The three-day event, which is being attended by 8,000 fans a day, features appearances from Doctor Who stars from all eras of the series.

Smith told fans during a question and answer session that Steven Moffat's anniversary story "added to the mythology" of Doctor Who.

Moffat described the first ever Doctor Who episode, An Unearthly Child, broadcast on 23 November 1963, as "one of the very best episodes of Doctor Who ever made".

The anniversary episode also sees the return of Billie Piper as Rose

"All the ideas come from there," he said. "The music, the name, the Tardis, the police box bigger on the inside... in terms of brand new ideas that's a rollercoaster of 25 minutes."

Among fans attending the event was Taylor, 13, from London, a fan since the show was revived in 2005.

"It's a big point in Doctor Who history," she said. "I hope it lives up to the fans' expectations. They'll be expecting a big climax."

American Richard LeCour said he made a special trip from his home in California because Doctor Who had been "part of my life for 40 years".

He said he was "very excited" to see how the story would handle the introduction of John Hurt's Doctor.

Reuben Mount, a Matt Smith fan from Brighton, admitted the episode The Name of the Doctor left him "in tears". He added: "I want to know how John Hurt fits into all of it, I want to know the answers."

His friend, Adam Highway, also from Brighton, predicted that Doctor Who had a long future ahead of it.

"It'll go on as long as it keeps that balance of appealing to people who don't know the history, but respects the history for those who give a damn about it. It think Steven Moffat's got it spot on."

The anniversary story is Smith's penultimate outing, before he regenerates at Christmas into a new Doctor (the Twelfth), played by Peter Capaldi.

DALEKS FACTFILE

The Daleks first appeared in the 1963 episode The Daleks.

They were conceived by sci-fi writer Terry Nation and designed by Raymond Cusick.

Nation grew up during World War II. He spent a lot of time in air raid shelters during the Blitz and remembered the fear caused by German bombings. He consciously based the Daleks on the Nazis, conceiving the species as faceless, authoritarian figures dedicated to conquest and complete conformity. Their catchphrase "Exterminate!" has obvious WWII connotations.

The origin of the word Dalek is uncertain. In 1964 Nation told a Daily Mirror reporter that the Dalek name came from a dictionary or encyclopaedia volume, the spine of which read "Dal – Lek". He later admitted that this book and the origin of the Dalek name was completely fictitious, and that anyone bothering to check out his story would have found him out. The name had in reality simply rolled off his typewriter. Later, Nation was pleasantly surprised to discover that in Serbo-Croatian the word "dalek" means "far",or "distant".

For many years it was assumed that, due to their design and gliding motion, Daleks were unable to climb stairs, and that this was a simple way of escaping them. A well known cartoon from Punch pictured a group of Daleks at the foot of a flight of stairs with the caption, "Well, this certainly buggers our plan to conquer the Universe". In a scene from the serial Destiny of the Daleks, the Doctor and companions escape from Dalek pursuers by climbing into a ceiling duct. The Fourth Doctor calls down, "If you're supposed to be the superior race of the universe, why don't you try climbing after us?" The Daleks generally make up for their general lack of mobility with overwhelming firepower; a joke among Doctor Who fans goes, "Real Daleks don't climb stairs; they level the building." However, there have been one or two episode in recent series showing Daleks hovering up flights of stairs (scary!).

The Daleks are descendants of the Dals, who mutated after a nuclear war between the Dal and Thal races on the planet Skaro 500 years ago. The ugly, mutant creatures are encased within a tank-like, robotic, mechanical shell.

The Daleks have become as synonymous with Doctor Who as the Doctor himself, and their behaviour and catchphrases are now part of British popular culture. "Hiding behind the sofa whenever the Daleks appear" has been cited as an element of British cultural identity;and a 2008 survey indicated that nine out of 10 British children were able to identify a Dalek correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRy2N2CMhQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7z6FMCqYrBo

BBC News - Doctor Who fans around the world await 50th anniversary special

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A whopping 10.61 million people in Britain alone last night watched the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who, the world's greatest and longest-running sci-fi series.

The Day of the Doctor was broadcast in 94 countries at the same time as it aired on BBC One on Saturday night - earning it a Guinness World Record as "the world's largest ever simulcast of a TV drama".

Featuring three Doctors - Matt Smith (the current 11th Doctor), David Tennant (the 10th Doctor) and John Hurt (a previously unknown Doctor) - it delved deep into the character's psyche over 75 minutes.

Billie Piper also returned last night but not, this time, as the Ninth Doctor's companion Rose Tyler but as the operating system of a WMD.

Amid the special effects and multiple time zones, critics were particularly impressed with the interplay between the actors.

The Telegraph's Ben Lawrence wrote: "Tennant is edgy and mercurial, likely to turn on a pin. Smith is gentler, with a boyish eccentricity and other-worldly strangeness. They sparred terrifically with a fair amount of trademark humour.

"Smith's Doctor teased Tennant's about his 'sand shoes' and his weight. 'Ooh. That is proper skinny. Hello matchstick man!'

"And yet they were both skilled enough to convince the viewer that they were one and the same person, both sharing a compassion, an acute intelligence and a formidable nose for danger."

Opening with the show's original credit sequence from 1963, and an opening scene featuring a policeman and Coal Hill School, which Doctor Who fans know both featured at the beginning of the very first episode of Doctor Who on 23rd November 1963 (Coal Hill School has also featured in some other episodes), the special featured the Daleks and the return of rubber suited, shape-shifting aliens the Zygons, who first appeared in 1975, one of which disguised itself as Queen Elizabeth I in 1562.

But the principal villain was potentially the Doctor himself.

Moffat's story played with the idea, introduced when the science-fiction show re-launched in 2005, that the Doctor was the "last of the Time Lords".

It transpired that Hurt's version of the Doctor had committed mass genocide in order to halt a "Great Time War" - and the 75-minute episode saw him fighting to come to terms with that decision, aided by two future versions of himself.

There were also cameos from former star Tom Baker, and Peter Capaldi, who replaces Smith later this year.

The global broadcast included 3D screenings in more than 1,500 cinemas in 94 countries - from Russia to Ethiopia.

They attracted hundreds of fans in fancy dress, including bow ties, fezzes (which the current Doctor has worn several times since he appeared in 2010, including in this special episode) and Dalek outfits.

A gala event at the BFI in London was attended by Smith, Hurt, Moffat and their co-star Jenna Coleman.

They received a huge cheer as the end credits rolled, while Tom Baker's surprise cameo also received a large round of applause.

Millions tune in for Doctor Who 50th anniversary show

BBC News
24 November 2013

The anniversary episode came 50 years to the day since William Hartnell first appeared in the TARDIS

More than 10 million people tuned in to see the special 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who in the UK, according to overnight viewing figures.

At its peak, the show was watched by 10.61 million viewers, with an average of 10.2 million across the 75-minute running time.

It comfortably beat X Factor on ITV, which was seen by 7.7 million people.

But Strictly Come Dancing was Saturday night's most popular show, peaking at 11.7 million viewers (10.6m average).

'Beautiful reinvention'

The Day of the Doctor was broadcast in 94 countries at the same time as it aired on BBC One on Saturday night - earning it a Guinness World Record as "the world's largest ever simulcast of a TV drama".

Featuring three Doctors - Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt - it delved deep into the character's psyche over 75 minutes.

Amid the special effects and multiple time zones, critics were particularly impressed with the interplay between the actors.

The Telegraph's Ben Lawrence wrote: "Tennant is edgy and mercurial, likely to turn on a pin. Smith is gentler, with a boyish eccentricity and other-worldly strangeness. They sparred terrifically with a fair amount of trademark humour.

"Smith's Doctor teased Tennant's about his 'sand shoes' and his weight. 'Ooh. That is proper skinny. Hello matchstick man!'

"And yet they were both skilled enough to convince the viewer that they were one and the same person, both sharing a compassion, an acute intelligence and a formidable nose for danger."

Three generations of Doctors were united in the story, alongside the current companion Clara (Jenna Coleman)

Billie Piper returned - not as her previous character Rose Tyler, but as the operating system of a WMD

Despite the appearance of the Daleks, the Zygons were the show's chief antagonists

In a five star review, the Mirror's Jon Cooper singled out writer Steven Moffat as the real star.

"He's put something together here that not only gives hardcore fans a beautiful reinvention of their favourite show but also gives casual viewers a stonking story and a reminder why we all love this show so much," he wrote.

"This had labour of love stamped throughout it," agreed Simon Brew on the Den Of Geek website.

"It felt like a real treat, a gift to Who fandom, but more importantly, a strong episode in its own right."

Opening with the show's original credit sequence from 1963, the special featured the Daleks and the return of rubber suited, shape-shifting aliens the Zygons, who first appeared in 1975.

But the principal villain was potentially the Doctor himself.

Moffat's story played with the idea, introduced when the science-fiction show re-launched in 2005, that the Doctor was the "last of the Time Lords".

It transpired that Hurt's version of the Doctor had committed mass genocide in order to halt a "Great Time War" - and the 75-minute episode saw him fighting to come to terms with that decision, aided by two future versions of himself.

There were also cameos from former star Tom Baker, and Peter Capaldi, who replaces Smith later this year.

"The last few minutes affected me quite deeply," wrote Neil Perryman on the Guardian's website.

He conceded that some of the details "didn't make a lot of sense on first viewing" but added: "I don't care - I'll be watching it again this evening".

Speaking immediately after the broadcast, star Matt Smith said: "I think what's really clever about it is that what he [Moffat] has managed to do is change the mythology of the character - which, after 50 years, is an achievement."

Aside from the emotional drama, the episode was filled with comedic moments - including a proposal, a marriage and "a machine that goes ding".

"Is there a lot of this in the future?" John Hurt asked as David Tennant kissed Queen Elizabeth I.

"There is a bit, yes," deadpanned Matt Smith.

The UK viewing figures are the science fiction programme's highest since the 2010 Christmas Special.

They do not take into account people who taped the show, or watched it later on iPlayer - and are therefore likely to rise once consolidated figures become available.

A composite image showing all 12 actors to have played the Doctor was released for the 50th anniversary

Accepting the show's Guinness World Record, Moffat said: "For years the Doctor has been stopping everyone else from conquering the world. Now, just to show off, he's gone and done it himself!"

Tim Davie, from BBC Worldwide, said: "We knew we were attempting something unprecedented in broadcast history, not only because Doctor Who is a drama, unlike a live feed event such as a World Cup football match or a royal wedding, but because we had to deliver the episode in advance to the four corners of the world so that it could be dubbed and subtitled into 15 different languages.

"If there was any doubt that Doctor Who is one of the world's biggest TV shows, this award should put that argument to rest".

The global broadcast included 3D screenings in more than 1,500 cinemas in 94 countries - from Russia to Ethiopia.

They attracted hundreds of fans in fancy dress, including bow ties, fezzes and Dalek outfits.

A gala event at the BFI in London was attended by Smith, Hurt, Moffat and their co-star Jenna Coleman.

They received a huge cheer as the end credits rolled, while Tom Baker's surprise cameo also received a large round of applause.

BBC News - Millions tune in for Doctor Who 50th anniversary show

Coal Hill School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EXPLORE THE TARDIS: BBC News - Doctor Who at 50: Tour the Tardis

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
A whopping 10.61 million people in Britain alone last night watched the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who, the world's greatest and longest-running sci-fi series.
Only proving the briddish love second rate, low budget garbage.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Only proving the briddish love second rate, low budget garbage.

Please provide me with figures showing that the world's most successful sci-fi series is "low budget". You've obviously seen those figures yourself, so provide me with them and let me take a look. I would very much appreciate it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm glad you agree.

You guys really should do something to raise the bar.

Yeah. We should. I mean, creating the world's most successful TV sci-fi series is not much to shout about, is it?

Maybe we should copy Canadians and their great sci fi series.... erm, hang on a minute.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yeah. We should.
I'm glad you can admit that.

I mean, creating the world's most successful TV sci-fi series is not much to shout about, is it?
No it isn't.

It only goes to show that the briddish influence, specifically mediocrity, is deeply ingrained in all the places she touched around the globe.

I wouldn't brag about that if I were you.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It only goes to show that the briddish influence, specifically mediocrity, is deeply ingrained in all the places she touched around the globe.

Good. It makes my chest fill with pride at the very thought.

Of course, our influence around the globe has been greater than that of any other civilisation in the entire history of mankind.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Good. It makes my chest fill with pride at the very thought.

Of course, our influence around the globe has been greater than that of any other civilisation in the entire history of mankind.
Taking pride in mediocrity is rather sad dude.

But you're briddish, so I guess it's all you have. Run with it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Number 3 in the top 5 crappiest Sci-Fi TV shows of all time.

Sorry Bear, but I have to vehemently disagree with you about this. I find this show to be quite entertaining (I enjoy both the old series and the current one, although I am a bit behind in watching it). Are the special effects cheesy? Of course they are, but the stories are still interesting and the characters (mainly the Companions) well thought out.

One of my favourite Sci-fi shows of all time.:)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sorry Bear, but I have to vehemently disagree with you about this. I find this show to be quite entertaining (I enjoy both the old series and the current one, although I am a bit behind in watching it). Are the special effects cheesy? Of course they are, but the stories are still interesting and the characters (mainly the Companions) well thought out.

One of my favourite Sci-fi shows of all time.:)

In case you've not seen the 50th anniversary episode, you can watch it here:

BBC iPlayer - Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor