Blackfish

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah, um, killer whale, not play whale, despite the cutesy northwest 'tribal' names given these animals.

via Isegoria

Tilikum, an adult male orca, or killer whale, killed his third human victim, trainer Dawn Brancheau, a few years ago. I remember finding it odd that he wasn’t kept away from people after killing the first two. Then, he went back to work after killing a third.

Blackfish takes a fascinating look at Tilikum and other killer whales in captivity. I was under the vague impression that most marine mammals in captivity were either rescued or born in captivity. Tilikum was captured off the east coast of Iceland in November of 1983, at about three years of age. Blackfish includes some powerful footage of whalers in the 1970s, before Tilikum’s time, driving a pod of orcas into shallow water, separating the young from their mothers, and then loading them aboard, while the mothers stay just outside the nets and wail. The salty old sea dog they interview seems shaken and distraught about what he did.

From there, Tilikum ended up at the not-so-prestigious Sealand of the Pacific, in British Columbia, where he spent his nights in a tiny “holding module” with two older, female whales — who didn’t seem to like him. On February 21, 1991, trainer Keltie Byrne slipped into the tank, and the three whales drowned her, in front of the audience. Blackfish presents this as Tilikum’s doing. Sealand shut down — apparently with no inquest into the death — and Tilikum moved to SeaWorld Orlando, where the trainers were told he was not responsible for the death at Sealand. (If he was, this is sinister. If he wasn’t…)

more

Blackfish « Isegoria

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've never understood why people feel the need to see majestic wild animals in a small cage or tank.

These creatures belong solely in their natural habitats.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I've never understood why people feel the need to see majestic wild animals in a small cage or tank.

WHile I agree in theory the reality is that the already excessive whale watching tours would get even larger placing more Orcas and their habitat at risk.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
And now Tilikum is not used for shows, just for his semen to breed more Orca's to drive crazy. He should be set free to enjoy what ever time he has left away from the tiny pool he is kept in.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
WHile I agree in theory the reality is that the already excessive whale watching tours would get even larger placing more Orcas and their habitat at risk.
Why pay for a tour. You have a good chance of seeing orca on BC Ferries and it is slightly cheaper....though not a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Why larger? More popular I would agree.

JMO... I think whale watches are important for the people who have interest. Why should Marine Biologist be the only ones to see them in the ocean? I've been on one off Cape Cod when I was a kid... it was not like the boat was ripping through the ocean. We chugged out and chugged back.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

For some people, connection to animals doesn't come until they can empathize with an animal, see that it thinks, feels, and behaves somewhat like we do... that it can learn, think, reason. Zoos and aquariums grant those sort of people the chance to get close, look animals in the eye, learn about them in a way they wouldn't have otherwise. I think there IS educational value in that artificial environment. But, I also think it should be limited to animals that would have been eliminated from nature without human intervention, they should be run more like rehabilitation centres.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
and perhaps he has

Maybe they don't like having to perform. I find it to be a ridiculous practice training them to do tricks for the public.

Unless they have a lot of space, training like that can sometimes be what keeps them from going mad.... it's mental and physical exercise they wouldn't get otherwise.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Unless they have a lot of space, training like that can sometimes be what keeps them from going mad.... it's mental and physical exercise they wouldn't get otherwise.
Then that is beyond sad and even worse than I imagined. :-(
I find the whole thing to be barbaric. If it was about recuperation and saving I could get behind it, but to remove them from their environment for our entertainment/profit is unacceptable. The fact that so many trainers have died or been purposely injured by them including the one body with the genitals removed and purposely displayed on his back was quite shocking to me. But they bring in such huge huge amounts of money. Sad.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Why larger? More popular I would agree.

JMO... I think whale watches are important for the people who have interest. Why should Marine Biologist be the only ones to see them in the ocean? I've been on one off Cape Cod when I was a kid... it was not like the boat was ripping through the ocean. We chugged out and chugged back.

Poor choice of words by me. I was thinking of the number of tour boats infringing on whale habitat. Have you been on a west coast whale tour? Rigid hull inflatables that can do around 40 knots with 30 people on board. Now one isn't an issue but when there are ten of these boats chasing one pod or in some cases a single transient Orca there will be problems.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I take it that 'orca' isn't Chinook Jargon for 'playful'.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
If I was a reasonably intelligent KILLER WHALE, in captivity, on display for the great unwashed, I would attempt to drag at least three torturers into my tank during the show, bite them in two, smash their riven corpses against the sides of the tank, and throw the remains as far as I could onto the ****ing freaks watching the show.

But, that's just me.

carry on.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Many years ago, on my one trip to Vancouver I had the pleasure to watch a dumb, hulking, Homer Simpson, tell his family that the family of captive Sea Otters were "them things that made dams with their tails, eh" . I so wanted to drive a 10 inch spike into his eyes. But again, that's just me dreaming. I would never use a 10 inch spike.

On the same trip, we saw a lone Polar Bear (really old) in his sh*tty little "home", surrounded by water... Apparently he had been there for countless years. Ten paces left. Ten paces right. Try as I might I couldn't see an aquarium employee to push in with him. Probably just as well, but, all things considered, I'd be out of prison by now.