Film Reveals Secret Mass Murder of Jews by Catholics in 1941...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
'Aftermath' Dares to Unearth Terrible Secrets of Poland's Lost Jews

The most controversial film in the country's history lands stateside on Nov. 1.

On July 10, 1941, half the residents of Jedwabne, a Polish village 85 miles northeast of Warsaw, murdered the other half. The mob, led by the mayor, were Catholics; their 1,600 victims were Jewish, slaughtered over several nightmarish hours with bats, knives, rifles and other improvised weapons. Those who survived the massacre were then rounded up in a barn donated by a local farmer, which was then set ablaze. A plaque erected at the site blamed Nazis for the massacre, but, in fact, Nazis had only authorized it. Locals walked by the plaque for half a century, knowing the truth, but saying nothing.

more

'Aftermath' Dares to Unearth Terrible Secrets of Poland's Lost Jews

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I suppose this comes as a surprise to some folk of a more ignorant stripe.

Having spent a good bit of time in Europe, it has become clear to me that the anti-Semitism of the Nazis was not an aberration: it was a culmination of a millennium of European anti-Semitism.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But can we really blame the Gospels for what Catholics did?

Seems as ridiculous as to blame Islam or the Qur'an for the actions of Muslims.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
But can we really blame the Gospels for what Catholics did?

Seems as ridiculous as to blame Islam or the Qur'an for the actions of Muslims.

Tell that to the Bahia in Iran- The Shia in Pakistan-
Minority sects within Islam are persecuted by the majority and I believe can meet the standards of Genocide.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Man's inhumanity to man. No surprise...shocking, but no surprise.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Tell that to the Bahia in Iran- The Shia in Pakistan-
Minority sects within Islam are persecuted by the majority and I believe can meet the standards of Genocide.

I profess the Baha'i Faith myself.

In the case of Baha'is, genocide would be the wrong word since we're not an ethnic group but rather a worldwide religious community representing ethnic groups from around the world. for instance, I myself am a French-Canadian, and about a third of Baha'is in Canada are indigenous Canadians.

Of course Baha'is are being persecuted in Iran and there is a concerted effort to exterminate the community, which is just as bad as genocide. There is a distinct difference though in that, since it's a non-ethnic religious community, many Baha'is were raised Muslim or in another religion, which is sometimes the case even in Iran in spite of the persecution, or have Muslim family members. After all, the Baha'i Faith is a young religion and so has not established any kind of ethnic roots as such.

For this reason, as severely persecuted as Baha'is are in Iran, one challenge that the authorities face which is not normally faced in traditional cases of genocide is the impact it has on the non-baha'i family members of Baha'is. In fact, the main reason for the persecution is its spread among Muslims. So essentially, the Baha'i community of Iran is fully integrated into the larger community, which is very different from what one faces in more usual cases of what we think of as genocide.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When set in place and time, Nazi occupied Poland would have been a really sh*tty place to be a Bolshevik Halychynan Jew.

The people in that region had been embattled for 40 years prior.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You are the only one invoking blame on the scriptures... Perhaps you'll be good enough to quote the passages.
They just got out of the Ottoman nightmare, then Bolsheviks, then Nazis one right after another.

I pity anybody who lived or died through all that. There was no happy ending.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I suppose this comes as a surprise to some folk of a more ignorant stripe.

Having spent a good bit of time in Europe, it has become clear to me that the anti-Semitism of the Nazis was not an aberration: it was a culmination of a millennium of European anti-Semitism.

Dead on.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Catholics and I was born a Catholic were up to their eyeballs in the murders
of Jews in many places and collaboration with the Nazis went right into the good
ole Vatican itself. When the war was over many Nazis getting out of Europe got
help from the Vatican as they came up with passage and phony papers the line
was call Odessa. This does not surprise me in the least.
Now having said that there were as many Catholics that stood up and assisted
the Jews and others. You can't label all Catholics as being in league with them.
You can state the many were collaborating up to their eyeballs but not all.
Just keeping the record straight.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
They just got out of the Ottoman nightmare, then Bolsheviks, then Nazis one right after another.

I pity anybody who lived or died through all that. There was no happy ending.

No question, that was a dark period for the Jews... Seems to me that in going through history, there are many examples of an identifiable culture/religion that gets the crap end of the stick for some bizarre reason, Christians took it in the neck no different than the Muzzies or Gypsies, hell, the Nazis had it in for all manner of people ranging from culture to religion to political stripe to intellectuals - doesn't make it acceptable or explain anything other than humanity has a predilection to treat their fellow man in the worst manner possible

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If you had read what you'd quoted, you'd have seen that I was clarifying you cannot blame the scriptures for it.

There is only one reference in the article that mentions 'catholic' (ie the mob lead by the mayor were catholics) other than references in the comments section.

You were the only poster that mentions scriptures.... That's a massive leap and assumption on your part.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It should be remembered that the Catholics were the biggest religion in these
regions of the world. They were also at odds with the Jews and the quarrels
had gone on for centuries. ukraine was another area where Catholics and
Jew had difficulty getting along.
Many in the German high command were Catholics, oh I know the occult is the
real bad guy by verbal request and much of it is revisionists writing history.
The fact is the Catholics Muslims and Jews have been at each others throats
since the beginning of time. What I find really strange is that all three faiths
recognize Abraham is the father of their civilization would that not make us all
related. My God this is the longest running family feud in the history of mankind.