The Rolling Stones perform at Glastonbury for the first time

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Last night veteran rockers The Rolling Stones performed on the Pyramid Stage at the Glastonbury Festival, the world's biggest greenfield music and performing arts festival, in rural Somerset. Despite the fact the festival has been going since 1970 this was, believe it or not, the first time that the band had ever performed there. Only the 150,000 revellers who watched them at Glastonbury last night were able to see the whole two-and-a-half hour performance, but around an hour of it was broadcast live on the BBC Two. Here is that hour-long live BBC Two footage of the ageing rockers performing last night:

Rolling Stones at Glastonbury 2013 -- Complete Broadcast. - YouTube

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You guys know how to festival man.

You should go there next year. It's not all music. There are all sorts of fun things to do. Just remember to take your wellies.

It's nearby the mystical Glastonbury Tor - which the ancient Britons called Ynys yr Afalon (the Isle of Avalon) - and it's believed by some to be the Avalon of Arthurian legend.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's nearby the mystical Glastonbury Tor - which the ancient Britons called Ynys yr Afalon (the Isle of Avalon) - and it's believed by some to be the Avalon of Arthurian legend.

I understand that the local community offers complimentary swords in the Lake... In fact, there's a Lady there that dispenses the hardware - Am I right?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
On Friday night, the night before the Stones performed, Sheffield rockers Arctic Monkeys performed at Glastonbury for the second time. They last performed there in 2007. The whole set was shown live on BBC Two. Here it is:

Arctic Monkeys - Glastonbury 2013 (Full Concert) (HD - 1080p) - YouTube

And here's the performance from Mumford and Sons:

Mumford and Sons Glastonbury 2013 (Full Set) - YouTube

I understand that the local community offers complimentary swords in the Lake... In fact, there's a Lady there that dispenses the hardware - Am I right?

I think the fact that the area is connected with Arthurian Legend is the reason that Glastonbury was first held there, on Worthy Farm, in 1970. It is the whole Flower Power and hippy thing.

The festival is overlooked by the Glastonbury Tor in the "Vale of Avalon" (the Tor is located a couple of miles or so behind the Pyramid Stage and a a huge model of the Tor was used during the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics, on which the flags of all the competing nations were planted). The area has a number of legends and spiritual traditions, and is a "New Age" site of interest: ley lines are considered to converge on the Tor.

The Tor features the roofless St. Michael's Tower and forms an iconic part of the local landscape. Many believe it is the Isle of Avalon of Arthurian legend.

According to legend Joseph of Arimathea - Jesus's Uncle - is said to have travelled to Britain with Jesus, giving rise to Blake's poem Jerusalem. After Christ's death Joseph is said to have returned, reaching Glastonbury on Christmas morning in AD30. Weary from his travels he thrust his staff into the ground on Wearyall, where it at once sprouted into a blossoming thorn.

There was a tree of unusual origin on Wearyall right up until the 17th century when it was chopped down by one of the dour faced puritans suporting Oliver Cromwell. St John's Church still has the Glastonbury thorn Craetegus Praecox, which may actually have derived form Syria. The most likely origin of the tree is that it was brought back from the holy land during the Middle Ages, either by a pilgrim or perhaps a crusading knight.

The Tor is also said to be the resting place of the Holy Grail. Arthur and Guinevere are also said to lie within the Tor. The Tor is also said to be inhabited by fairies.