He obviously had a cunning plan... it's Sir Baldrick!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blackadder star Tony Robinson has been knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

Sir Tony, as he is now to be known, who played Blackadder's disgusting servant Baldrick in the classic 1980s BBC comedy series, admitted he was ‘a little gob-smacked’ at being honoured and joked that he would now be rescuing damsels in distress and slaughtering dragons if the need arose.

More seriously, he added: ‘I’ll use my new title to highlight the causes I believe in, particularly the importance of culture, the arts and heritage in our society, and the plight of the infirm elderly and their carers.’

The 66-year-old actor, who has also presented Channel 4 archaeology series Time Team since it started in 1994, was recommended for his ‘public and political service’ as a Labour Party activist.

His name was put forward by the Parliamentary and Political Services Committee, set up last year by David Cameron to reward party workers. Robinson was a member of Labour’s National Executive Committee for four years during the Blair era, and spent four years as vice-president of the Left-wing actors’ union Equity.

Meanwhile, Rowan Atkinson, who played Blackadder, has to make do with just a CBE.

Baldrick getting knighted whilst he has to make do with just a CBE is not something that would have pleased Blackadder....

Sir Tony Robinson, as Baldrick (left), gets a knighthood whilst Rowan Atkinson (right), as Baldrick's master Blackadder, gets a CBE

Knight and damsel: Actor, TV presenter and Labour Party activist Tony Robinson, 66, with his wife Louise, 32

Sir Tony is a history buff and is also famous for having presented archaeology series Time Team since it first started in 1994. He has also presented numerous other TV shows on history.

Anyone for archery? - Blackadder - BBC - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKRxX3s3JlM&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BxFlmb6S6E&feature=player_detailpage

Read more: He obviously had a cunning plan... it's Sir Baldrick! Tony Robinson lands a knighthood (but his master Blackadder has to settle for a CBE) | Mail Online

Last edited: