Dieppe Uncovered on History Channel

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
History Channel has been airing a very interesting doc on the Dieppe raid called Dieppe Uncovered.

The raid has always been shrouded in controversy but now new research puts an entirely different perspective on the reasons behind the raid and how just 17 minutes might have made all the difference between victory and defeat.

Montreal historian, David O’Keefe spent 15 years researching this story and was able to get access to newly declassified 70-year-old top secret British war documents.

In doing so, he uncovered an extraordinary tail of intrigue involving all levels of British intelligence and shedding light on the duties and contributions of famous British author Ian Fleming.

The British had been lucky in cracking the German 3-rotor Enigma machine at Bletchley Park their top-secret intelligence headquarters but the Germans had then confounded them by coming up with a new 4-rotor machine. The effects of the new secret codes were felt immediately by the British Admiralty as German U-boats laid slaughter to all in their path. The British needed to get their hands on the 4-rotor machine before they lost the battle on the seas.

Dieppe uncovered is the story behind the reasons for the raid full as it is of heroism and cunning, plans best made and plans undone by fate or bad circumstances.

Survivors of the Dieppe raid participated in the filming of the documentary and when first interviewed spoke with deep feeling about what they perceived to be a senseless slaughter. After being presented with new evidence indicating the raid indeed did have a purpose and one meant to save thousands of lives, the relief and vindication was evident on the faces of the Vets. If nothing else, this story has brought those brave men a sense of peace.

http://www.history.ca/
http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/television/Spies+Enigma+machine+James+Bond+creator+help/7110959/story.html
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/08/16/with-dieppe-uncovered-and-nerve-centre-its-all-in-the-human-details/

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am resurrecting this topic as History Channel is once again broadcasting this intriguing documentary in honor of Remembrance Day. I highly recommend it.

Sunday, November 11th @ 9pm ET/PT

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I am resurrecting this topic as History Channel is once again broadcasting this intriguing documentary in honor of Remembrance Day. I highly recommend it.

Sunday, November 11th @ 9pm ET/PT

Thanks I've set the PVR to record. I find this interesting and my daughter is actually crazy about historical war stories and information.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Thanks I've set the PVR to record. I find this interesting and my daughter is actually crazy about historical war stories and information.

[/FONT]

I can't go any further forward than Sunday morning on the Dish.....But on Saturday at 9, they revisit "The Great Escape" and I plan to watch it, since my High School teachers (now deceased) was one of the escapees.......

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I can't go any further forward than Sunday morning on the Dish.....

Really? I get a week at a time with Rogers, so always seven days ahead of the current date. Your provider must set a specific week at a time then? Sun to Sat or something like that?

But on Saturday at 9, they revisit "The Great Escape" and I plan to watch it, since my High School teachers (now deceased) was one of the escapees.......

Neat!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I think you will both find it entertaining and very interesting..........almost like watching a Le Carre' spy movie.

I can't go any further forward than Sunday morning on the Dish.....But on Saturday at 9, they revisit "The Great Escape" and I plan to watch it, since my High School teachers (now deceased) was one of the escapees.......

Watched that one awhile ago too, DS. I actually watch a lot history docs about all the wars but I really get into them around Rememberance Day - my way of paying silent tribute.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If nothing else was accomplished by the making of this documentary it was worth hearing the vets who were there come to an understanding that there was a reason for their mission and that but for bad seas and a matter of timing...........it could have been a very different outcome. It may be cold comfort, but comfort just the same.