Discover America's Newest Tourist Promotion

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The song is called 'Land of Dreams' and the first time I heard it I immediately thought that Nova Scotia or NFLD had come up with yet another beautiful song for a tourism campaign. When I found out that the song was touting American tourism, I was really surprised.........it is so .....well Canadian in nature. Haven't seen the video yet, but I doubt it would make a difference as every time I hear it, I think of all the beautiful places right here at home.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
The song is called 'Land of Dreams' and the first time I heard it I immediately thought that Nova Scotia or NFLD had come up with yet another beautiful song for a tourism campaign. When I found out that the song was touting American tourism, I was really surprised.........it is so .....well Canadian in nature. Haven't seen the video yet, but I doubt it would make a difference as every time I hear it, I think of all the beautiful places right here at home.
I agree with you, the first time I heard it I also thought it was about Canada.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I thought it was rather funny as well. It looked very much like a Canadian ad. This one does go to show that we arent all that different from the US when it comes to our cities, nature and geography.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think the Rankins had a song that started in a similar way some years back
and perhaps that is why we think Canadian. They are concentrating on the
beautiful things because it is no long safe to even go to a movie theatre there.
America needs something for sure the place is going to hell in a hand basket/

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Brilliant ad for US tourism. Roseanne Cash (Yes, Johnny's daughter) is the singer. I had no problem identifying the commercial as American - the opening sequence in the bayou gives it away. Canada has nothing like that. If you want the full two minute video go here.
'Land of Dreams': Rosanne Cash Is the Voice of Discover America - Forbes

Plenty of swamps in Canada... I know I ended up in a few big ones wandering through the forests of NS. :p

Nice that they showed the two women in hijabs walking safely down the street with smiles and nobody heckling them for being terrorists.

Nice touch with how you can sky-dive and if you hold out your arm, a bird will come land on your forearm and sing a tune like some Walt Disney Nightmare.

It's so multi-cultural, tolerant, warm and fuzzy.... everybody's so happy & friendly.... I'm confused. :?

Will tourism commercials like this work in attracting more people to the US to spend their holidays?

.... Good luck t'ya

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In NS on Cape Breton there are places with a bit of a swamp touch. Of course they
would steal the Canadian method of promotion, most of them put Canadian flags on
their pack sacks in Europe as well happens all the time. I suppose copy is the most
serious for of flattery really. No problem with it of course its just obvious that they
took a page from the Canadian mosaic that's all

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
In NS on Cape Breton there are places with a bit of a swamp touch. Of course they
would steal the Canadian method of promotion, most of them put Canadian flags on
their pack sacks in Europe as well happens all the time. I suppose copy is the most
serious for of flattery really. No problem with it of course its just obvious that they
took a page from the Canadian mosaic that's all

What would have felt a bit more normal was if their tourism commercial was the Team America: World Police theme song.

'Merica.... Fk'yeah!!! :lol:

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Shakes head. America isn't the country it once was, and Americans aren't the people they think they are. Here's a guy I used to see hanging out who came to America in pursuit of his dream of living la vida loco:

Live Oak teen to be tried on double murder charge - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Shakes head. America isn't the country it once was, and Americans aren't the people they think they are. Here's a guy I used to see hanging out who came to America in pursuit of his dream of living la vida loco:

Live Oak teen to be tried on double murder charge - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Here's an article about what has happened to California:

Works and Days » California: The Road Warrior Is Here

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Plenty of swamps in Canada... I know I ended up in a few big ones wandering through the forests of NS. :p

Nice that they showed the two women in hijabs walking safely down the street with smiles and nobody heckling them for being terrorists.

Nice touch with how you can sky-dive and if you hold out your arm, a bird will come land on your forearm and sing a tune like some Walt Disney Nightmare.

It's so multi-cultural, tolerant, warm and fuzzy.... everybody's so happy & friendly.... I'm confused. :?

Will tourism commercials like this work in attracting more people to the US to spend their holidays?

.... Good luck t'ya

Yes there are swamps in Canada, thousands of square kilometers of them in fact. They are called muskeg and they in no way resemble the clip in the commercial.

As for the content, what do you expect from a promotional video, pictures of Detroit's inner city or the theatre in Aurora?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yes there are swamps in Canada, thousands of square kilometers of them in fact. They are called muskeg and they in no way resemble the clip in the commercial.
Not all swamps in Canada are muskeg. Jeeeeez

http://www.tmtv.net/BCTV_ducks_unlimited_takes_over_creston_valley_wildlife_management_area_creston_bc_news_kootenays_june_15_2012.htm

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/on/pelee/natcul/natcul1_2.aspx

New Brunswick: