Dark Knight Rises may be so bad that

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Rotten Tomatoes suspends comments on 'Dark Knight'

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The aggregating Web site RottenTomatoes.com suspended user comments on movie reviews of "The Dark Knight Rises" after commenters reacted harshly to negative reviews of the film and made profane and threatening remarks about the critics who wrote them.

Matt Atchity, the site's editor-in-chief, said Tuesday it was the first time RottenTomatoes.com has suspended user comments, adding postings about "Dark Knight" reviews would likely be restored by the end of the week. The final film in director Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy opens Friday.

"The job of policing the comments became more than my staff could handle for that film, so we stopped the comments altogether," said Atchity. "It just got to be too much hate based on reactions to reviews of movies that people hadn't even seen."

[...]

RottenTomatoes.com is owned by social movie site Flixster.com, a Warner Bros. company.

more

News from The Associated Press

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So a reviewer (who has already seen the film) says the movie is a big pile of dog doo doo and anonymous internet posters (who have not seen the movie) threaten the reviewer because they think that the reviewer is wrong. Gotta love the internet age.

I stopped watching Batman after Micheal Keaton stopped being him. How many friking times do they need to tell the same story?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
So a reviewer (who has already seen the film) says the movie is a big pile of dog doo doo and anonymous internet posters (who have not seen the movie) threaten the reviewer because they think that the reviewer is wrong. Gotta love the internet age.

I stopped watching Batman after Micheal Keaton stopped being him. How many friking times do they need to tell the same story?

This trilogy is actually very different in tone than the 90s films which were more cartoonesque...

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This trilogy is actually very different in tone than the 90s films which were more cartoonesque...

Indeed. These new ones are far better. I really dont get how the Tim Burton ones could have been so popular when they came out. They are unbearable to watch by comparison. Then again, I never cared for Tim Burton.

Well, the two movies that came after Keaton in the 90s didnt retell the same story. They just kept going. Batman Begins was far different from the first film with Keaton. Much better too.

As for the reviews-I never read them for any movie. Im not a big fan of most movie critics. Some dont like anything. Id like to see a critic try and make a better movie.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Indeed. These new ones are far better. I really dont get how the Tim Burton ones could have been so popular when they came out. They are unbearable to watch by comparison. Then again, I never cared for Tim Burton.

Ah, a kindred spirit! I always seem to get the weirdest looks from people when I say that!

Well, the two movies that came after Keaton in the 90s didnt retell the same story. They just kept going. Batman Begins was far different from the first film with Keaton. Much better too.

As for the reviews-I never read them for any movie. Im not a big fan of most movie critics. Some dont like anything. Id like to see a critic try and make a better movie.

A critics job is to be critical, who cares if they don't like a movie. They get paid not to like it. lol.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
A critics job is to be critical, who cares if they don't like a movie. They get paid not to like it. lol.

Exactly. Im hoping the internet puts them out of business completely. With social networking people can get opinions on movies from friends or people they trust now rather than what some snobby critics in the papers or on tv say.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
The Dark Knight Rises Sparks Policital Controversy Airdate : 7/18/2012

The new Batman blockbuster is now at the center of a political firestorm.

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh sees a Hollywood conspiracy because the supervillain in The Dark Knight Rises is named Bane, while President Obama has been non-stop criticizing Mitt Romney's old venture capital company, Bain.

Limbaugh said on his radio show, "Do you think that it is accidental that the name of the really vicious, fire-breathing, four-eyed, whatever-it-is villain in this movie is named Bane?"
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow had this sarcastic response to Limbaugh's conspiracy theory:

"The villains in Batman were pre-named decades in advance in anticipation of a 2012 presidential election in which one of the candidates would have a contested affiliation with a company named Bain."

On The View, Whoopi Goldberg could barely contain herself, saying, "It's like when they said the Teletubbies were gay a few years back. It's Batman, fool."
The supervillain Bane first appeared in 1993, nearly two decades ago, and before Mitt Romney was ever a candidate for national political office.
Bane is out to destroy Batman, but at Manhattan Comics, they say there's not a political bone in his supervillain body.
Robert Conte, owner of manhattancomics.com told INSIDE EDITION, "To have him mixed in with this political agenda just doesn't make sense."

And INSIDE EDITION found this isn't even the first time Bane has appeared in a Batman movie.

He appeared in 1997's Batman and Robin, starring George Clooney as Batman.
The Dark Knight Rises opens Friday, and is already being called a "Smash!" on the front page of the New York Post.

The movie does have strong political overtones. There's an attack on the super rich, and a battle in front of the stock exchange that bears a striking resemblance to the Occupy Wall Street movement.
In one scene, Anne Hathaway's character, Catwoman says, "You're all going to wonder how you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us."

News - The Dark Knight Rises Sparks Policital Controversy - InsideEdition.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Exactly. Im hoping the internet puts them out of business completely. With social networking people can get opinions on movies from friends or people they trust now rather than what some snobby critics in the papers or on tv say.

The end days of the pretentious film snob are very, very nigh! lol.

You shouldn't have wasted you time on that nonsense. The Burton franchise was absolute garbage.

Until Nolan got it right.

They've been good, the newer films. Snooty art critic reviews notwithstanding.

Don't care for Tim "I'm not even cool enough for art school" Burton too much, but Jack Nicholson deserves some props, even though Ledger was the best Joker.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The stupid Limbaugh angle is playing off what Clinton's former aide said 2 days ago:

This summer's much-anticipated Hollywood blockbuster, "The Dark Knight Rises," is getting an unusual boost from Democrats and other foes of Mitt Romney who are eager to tie the Gotham crushing villain to the GOP presidential candidate. Their angle: the mask-wearing, "Venom" gas breathing bad guy has a name that sounds just like Romney's former investment firm that President Obama has been blasting as a jobs killer.

"Bane" is the terrorist in the new movie who drives the caped crusader out of semi-retirement in the final Batman movie. Democrats, who believe they have Romney on the ropes over the president's assault on his leadership at Bain Capital, said the comparisons are too rich to ignore.

"It has been observed that movies can reflect the national mood," said Democratic advisor and former Clinton aide Christopher Lehane.

"Whether it is spelled Bain and being put out by the Obama campaign or Bane and being out by Hollywood, the narratives are similar: a highly intelligent villain with offshore interests and a past both are seeking to cover up who had a powerful father and is set on pillaging society," he added.

the rest:

Romney's new foe: Batman's 'Bane' | WashingtonExaminer.com

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nicholson deserves nothing.

Yeah, Heath Ledger totally blew Nicholson out of the water as the Joker. If I didnt know it was Heath Ledger playing him there's no way I would have recognized him. He totally transformed for that role. Its really unfortunate that he died shortly thereafter. As far as actors go he was one of my favourites.

He's such an idiot. I guess he forgot that the Bane character was dreamed up decades ago.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Dark Knight' rises to perfection

By Bruce Kirkland ,QMI Agency
First posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:30 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:59 PM EDT

The Dark Knight Rises is a spectacular and thrilling conclusion to Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy.
With Christian Bale portraying the brooding, conflicted Batman again -- probably for the last time -- this trilogy is now the best of its kind. Regardless of the number of installments, no other comic book franchise can boast being this great, so consistently, and for so long.
Nolan also leaves a window open for sequels, although not necessarily for Batman and not necessarily for Nolan to direct. Among other possibilities, Anne Hathaway's sensational introduction as Catwoman makes a stand-alone movie for her enticing. Damn, the girl's good in the physical aspects of her cat burglar role, as well as being sexy and funny whether playing Selina Kyle or her feline alter-ego.
For audiences who want smart storytelling with their adrenaline rush, The Dark Knight Rises, which opens late Thursday, is as profoundly moving as it is dynamic. It is as intimate as it is huge, especially in the IMAX format. It is as surprising as it is predictable, thanks to plot twists that you don't see coming. It is as occasionally amusing as it is dark and brooding, and spikes of comic relief are welcome in all the madness.
This franchise is also deeply rooted in the 73-year history of Batman, including the Frank Miller phase. Yet Nolan also layered in original ideas. For example, The Dark Knight Rises is inspired by the French Revolution, with specific references to Charles Dickens' epic historical novel, A Tale of Two Cities. As a result, there is a balance of the familiar and the fantastic that makes the movie both realistic and larger-than-life.
The scenario for The Dark Knight Rises is actually pretty simple, even if the plotting gets complicated. In movie time, it is eight years after the end of The Dark Knight (although only four years passed in real time). Batman is disgraced and retired. Bruce Wayne is a crippled recluse moping about his mansion, wallowing in self-pity. Then arch-villain Bane arrives with his disposable henchmen to foment a people's revolution. Gotham is thrown into anarchy. Will Batman emerge from hiding to save the city?
The excellent core cast is back: Bale, of course, with Michael Caine as Alfred, Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox. New are Hathaway along with Marion Cotillard as Wayne's engaging new love interest, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as an idealistic Gotham policeman and Tom Hardy as the brutish Bane. Miraculously -- because this is a comic book movie -- Nolan humanizes them all, even Bane, in interesting ways.
A technical point: Unlike in the sneak previews, you can actually hear most of what Hardy says as the masked and muffled Bane. Nolan has obviously clarified the dialogue. For that matter, the technical accomplishments of the whole are at the highest levels. This popcorn movie is a cinematic banquet.

bruce.kirkland@sunmedia.ca

The Dark Knight Rises
5.0 stars
Starring: Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Directed by: Christopher Nolan
Rating: PG-13
Duration: 2 hours, 45 minutes

'Dark Knight' rises to perfection | Movies | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I've seen it twice now. I'd rank it 3rd of the three new ones, but not bad. There are a few bad lines and weird scenes but overall it doesnt ruin the movie. This one is still miles ahead of the Burton/Schumacher Batman movies.