48 Years ago today - The Beatles

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
48 years...............man where did the time go? :smile: I remember that performance to this day, my sisters and I danced around the living room to every song while my Mum and Dad muttered words to the effect that they were a bunch of long-haired hooligans - though they did like the fact that the boys wore suits. :smile:
I'd put that performance up against any of the kareoke cowboys and you see these days. Those guys could do it all.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'd put that performance up against any of the kareoke cowboys and you see these days. Those guys could do it all.

And I would agree with you 100%, Kreskin. Some of their lyrics could make me weep while feeling good.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

that was great, remember it like it was yesterday.

paul mcCartney and rory mcIlroy (irelands top golfer), seem to look a bit like each other, and

maybe george harrison and alex burrows a little alike.

have never seen anyone who looks like ringo, he's definitely one of a kind,

and can't think of anyone looking like john lennon either.

good stuff, and unlike when I watched elvis on the ed sullivan show, we got to see 'all' of them,

and not just the upper body. lol

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
48 years...............man where did the time go? :smile: I remember that performance to this day, my sisters and I danced around the living room to every song while my Mum and Dad muttered words to the effect that they were a bunch of long-haired hooligans - though they did like the fact that the boys wore suits. :smile:

My brother and his friend got expelled from school for having a Beatle "haircut"- but that sort of sh*t was normal in those days. In 1970 I was working up in the boondocks between Sayward and Eve River, when we got a letter from our director, saying we were to be clean shaven, no beards and hair was to be no longer than 1/2" inch above the collar.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The Beatles created great music and had a great influence over the world. But to this day, the thing I liked the most about them was their refusal to play in front of segregated audiences in Florida. Southern bigots didn't like it but they had no choice as they would have lost a lot of money if the Beatles backed out of the promotional deals they had.

The Beatles ~ the Best!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When I first saw the Beatles, I thgought they were the strangest group I'd ever seen. By today's standards,
those first Beatles were conservative. They all had suits and ties. They appeared to be clean. Their hair,
while not short, was at least the same style for all of the group. Their music was very much like the Everly Brothers.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
When I first saw the Beatles, I thgought they were the strangest group I'd ever seen. By today's standards,
those first Beatles were conservative. They all had suits and ties. They appeared to be clean. Their hair,
while not short, was at least the same style for all of the group. Their music was very much like the Everly Brothers.
And then they woke up, started to get a social and political conscience, started getting really creative with their music. But like all great groups, they grew their separate ways. Their egos clashed and they could not keep it together. The world was a better place for their having been the Beatles and has been a sadder place without them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And then they woke up, started to get a social and political conscience, started getting really creative with their music. But like all great groups, they grew their separate ways. Their egos clashed and they could not keep it together.

Just blame Yoko. ;)

The world was a better place for their having been the Beatles and has been a sadder place without them.

Agreed. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And then they woke up, started to get a social and political conscience, started getting really creative with their music. But like all great groups, they grew their separate ways. Their egos clashed and they could not keep it together. The world was a better place for their having been the Beatles and has been a sadder place without them.

Yeah, they'd be right up there with Hank Thompson and the Brazos Valley Boys!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

It could also be said that they developed their wonderful social conscience after they all made an obscene amount
of money and were rich beyond their dreams. For a good number of years, they did a lot to promote drug abuse
and their money, for the most part, kept them out of jail.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The certainly went their own ways philosophically. George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" is an example.

A song off the Help album, "The Night Before" is one that brings more memories back of my youth than just about any other song. I was four years old when it came out and I can still remember my brother putting on the record player a lot.

The Night Before - The Beatles - YouTube

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have these performances on DVD. Good clips. It was about 25 years before I was born. Hell, it was before both of my parents were born too.