9 Traumatizing Kids Movies (Spoilers)

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
According to Cracked.com.

9. Fantasia

Because of the sudden change of tone from innocent ballet dancing hippos to the extra creepy last musical segment, Night on Bald Mountain, with ghosts and demons and such.

8. Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Because of the main antagonist, Judge Doom, who murders that cute cartoon shoe with his "Dip" and especially because of climatic fight between Doom and Valient, with Doom getting squished by a steamroller and turning into a scary cartoon character.

7. The Secret of NIMH

Because of the glowing-eyed, head-twisting, carrion-eating Great Owl character.

6. Return to Oz

Because of the creepy, deformed gang of Wheelers and the headless Wicked Witch.

5. All Dogs Go To Heaven

For, despite the title, the fact that dog characters do go to hell, and the animated depiction of hell.

4. Hocus Pocus

For explicit hanging scenes and three witches sucking souls out of little children.

3. Wizards

For one of the most bizarre sequences I've ever seen in a kids movie, wherein the antagonist, Blackwolf, finds old stock footage of Nazis and gets inspiration from it to kill a bunch of elves and sprites.

2. Bedknobs and Broomsticks

For the ghost army brought to un-life by witch Angela Lansbury.

1. The Neverending Story

Cracked.com singles out one particular scene, but I say it should be for practically everything in it, from the transcendent evil being known as The Nothing to the Gate of Sphinxes that can see into every passerby's soul to especially the glowing-eyed talking wolf Gmorg.

Read more about the list here:

9 Traumatizing Moments from Classic Kids Movies | Cracked.com

And add your suggestion to the list if you'd like. I'd be interested to see which ones you'd add.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How can Old Yellar not be on that list?

Sunday night, 6pm, Wonderful World of Disney....I cried when I was a kid.

Although I guess that's pretty mild by today's film standards.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not really a kids movie, but I watched "Jaws" when I was a kid, and to this day
I can't enter the ocean (or a lake, or a river, or....) without thinking of that movie.
Doesn't mean I don't go in the ocean, but "Jaws" is never far from my thoughts
when I do...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Jaws is a good one. When I was a kid the Wizard of Oz completely freaked me out.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not really a kids movie, but I watched "Jaws" when I was a kid, and to this day
I can't enter the ocean (or a lake, or a river, or....) without thinking of that movie.
Doesn't mean I don't go in the ocean, but "Jaws" is never far from my thoughts
when I do...

That's so funny. When I was a kid, my mom took my brother & myself along with my grandmother to the drive in to see Bambi ( I think Super Dad was the followup). My brother and I were in the back of the station wagon with our eyes glued to the other movie that was playing on the other screen...Jaws. So we had Disney music and dialogue in our ears while watching the shark attacks.

My brother wouldn't go in the lake for months afterwards.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That's so funny. When I was a kid, my mom took my brother & myself along with my grandmother to the drive in to see Bambi ( I think Super Dad was the followup). My brother and I were in the back of the station wagon with our eyes glued to the other movie that was playing on the other screen...Jaws. So we had Disney music and dialogue in our ears while watching the shark attacks.

My brother wouldn't go in the lake for months afterwards.

(Turn up your speakers)

Great White Shark (Jaws Music) - YouTube

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Some people need to get a life.

My second youngest, we watched from dawn to dusk when he was 4. He LOVED horrors. When he was 2 to 3 he would laugh at the crypt keeper and say "funny lady".

I guess the big difference between him and others, he was taught was real and what was make believe. So he knew that no one "dies" in a movie. No one loses their head, and there's no such thing as vampires.