Heads up for Rush fans.

Unforgiven
Two things actually. I hear Neil Peart will be appearing on Letterman during Drum Solo Week. He is scheduled to appear on June 9th.

Til then here is a little interview he just did with Strombo.

Strombo | Neil Peart On 'Moving Pictures': Track-By-Track | CBC Television

YukonJack
+1
What asad, cruel letdown!!!

Reading the title I thought this thread was about Limbaugh.

mentalfloss
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

What asad, cruel letdown!!!

Reading the title I thought this thread was about Limbaugh.

bill barilko
That group redefines boredom-what a useless bunch of talentless wankers.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

The thousands of fans that show up for each show is probably the best indication of how out of touch you are with both excitement and talent. That they've been together for over 30 years speaks to how interesting and relevant they have continued to be through out the many changes in music. As does their position among the Beatles and the Rolling Stones for consecutive gold records of which they have 24 gold, 14 platinum, and 3 multi-platinum records.

But I think the best evidence yet that you're as usual, talking out your *** because you're an *** is that all these people love Rush...

and you ain't got no friends sad boy! lol

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

Two things actually. I hear Neil Peart will be appearing on Letterman during Drum Solo Week. He is scheduled to appear on June 9th.

Til then here is a little interview he just did with Strombo.

Strombo | Neil Peart On 'Moving Pictures': Track-By-Track | CBC Television

If there's one thing I've noticed it's that most people either love Rush or they hate them. There doesn't seem to be a middle road with this group. (You can count me in the former group by the way). So I'd expect you'll get as many negative as positive reactions to this thread, lol.

As to the interviews, that's a little outside the norm for him isn't it? I understood that Peart didn't really do that much publicity.

TenPenny
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

I've never been much of a Rush fan, but it's interesting that most musicians nominate Peart as one of the top 5 talented drummers in the world.

So I would certainly eliminate your 'talentless' comment, as it's demonstrably false.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I've never been much of a Rush fan, but it's interesting that most musicians nominate Peart as one of the top 5 talented drummers in the world.

I am and I'd have to say he is an incredible drummer. No drum machine for that group... no need. Geddy Lee can sing his azz off too.

One of my favorite songs ...

YouTube - rush limelight music video

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

If there's one thing I've noticed it's that most people either love Rush or they hate them. There doesn't seem to be a middle road with this group. (You can count me in the former group by the way). So I'd expect you'll get as many negative as positive reactions to this thread, lol.

As to the interviews, that's a little outside the norm for him isn't it? I understood that Peart didn't really do that much publicity.

True enough. Girls for some reason don't much like Rush though there are a few my wife included that get it. Peart was very put off interviews and would only do stuff that was related to drumming and serious. He's got more real in depth interviews that most musicians I've seen especially about the Buddy Rich stuff and Drum World. His writing has really taken off and I think learning to write prose has loosened him up a little in that he has found some confirmation that
he is an interesting person aside from the technical aspects. He still doesn't do the meet and greet things and leaves those up to Alex and Geddy.

He still bristles when fans come up to him or he is recognized in public. Granted some people are nuts and all.
He does have quite a lot to say but he is only just now learning how to let that out without feeling embarrassed or awkward. The interviews are still rare though and the David Letterman thing is a surprise almost as much as him doing the Strombo interview.

EagleSmack

True enough. Girls for some reason don't much like Rush though there are a few my wife included that get it.

I'm sure he did quite OK with the ladies. Perhaps todays girls don't, but back in the day they went nuts over Rush.

TenPenny

True enough. Girls for some reason don't much like Rush though there are a few my wife included that get it. Peart was very put off interviews and would only do stuff that was related to drumming and serious. He's got more real in depth interviews that most musicians I've seen especially about the Buddy Rich stuff and Drum World. His writing has really taken off and I think learning to write prose has loosened him up a little in that he has found some confirmation that
he is an interesting person aside from the technical aspects. He still doesn't do the meet and greet things and leaves those up to Alex and Geddy.

He still bristles when fans come up to him or he is recognized in public. Granted some people are nuts and all.
He does have quite a lot to say but he is only just now learning how to let that out without feeling embarrassed or awkward. The interviews are still rare though and the David Letterman thing is a surprise almost as much as him doing the Strombo interview.

I've read a couple of his books about motorcycling, which he does a lot of during tours, they're quite interesting reading.

Unforgiven
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I'm sure he did quite OK with the ladies. Perhaps todays girls don't, but back in the day they went nuts over Rush.

Are you kidding me? Neil Peart actually had a wife and daughter and Selena, his daughter, was killed in a car crash as she was driving to Toronto. It crushed him and his then wife Jackie who became inconsolable. Jackie within months of the car accident was diagnosed with Cancer and passed away that same year. As I understand it, he didn't feel very lucky with anything at that point. He did after some time find a new love, Carrie is her name. And not long ago they had a baby girl they named Olivia.

As mentioned he's written a few books now, one called Ghost Rider deals with his thoughts and transition on the road of healing. Literally as he traveled thousands of miles by motorcycle trying to figure out what next or if there even was a next. At that point Rush was over and so it is, that I fell pretty lucky that they are still together, writing, performing and productive as a band after something like that.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I've read a couple of his books about motorcycling, which he does a lot of during tours, they're quite interesting reading.

I agree I've got Masked Rider left and I will have read them all. Must be nice to have a rich friend who pays you to go on tour and ride motorcycles all over the place. He has a website he publishes things to now. Welcome to the Official Website of Neil Peart In case you want to keep up with News, Weather and Sports.

mt_pockets1000
+2
IMHO, Rush is one of the best bands on the planet, bar none. In typical Canadian fashion, the general public (in Canada) gives them the cold shoulder. But if you look around the world they are considered rock gods. Seeing them perform live about 4 years ago has got to be one of the highlights of my concert experiences.

petros
+1

YouTube - Neil Peart Ari Gold interview

GroundWater
+1
If you get the chance check out Neil at the Buddy Rich tribute concert.

EagleSmack

Are you kidding me? Neil Peart actually had a wife and daughter and Selena, his daughter, was killed in a car crash as she was driving to Toronto. It crushed him and his then wife Jackie who became inconsolable. Jackie within months of the car accident was diagnosed with Cancer and passed away that same year. As I understand it, he didn't feel very lucky with anything at that point. He did after some time find a new love, Carrie is her name. And not long ago they had a baby girl they named Olivia.

Well I don't know his biography Unforgiven. I was just sort of making a point that rock stars never lack girls.

petros
George Michael, Boy Gerorge, Michael Stipe, Liberace, Bowie et al would argue otherwise.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

George Michael, Boy Gerorge, Michael Stipe, Liberace, Bowie et al would argue otherwise.

Ah yes...

Bowie swung both ways though.

petros

Ah yes...

Bowie swung both ways though.

YouTube - david bowie - changes

SLM

Well, I'm a girl and I like Rush, so count me amongst the exceptions then.

Interview with Strombo I can see but Letterman does kind of surprise me. I got the impression in the film Beyond the Lighted Stage that he was quite open and willing to discuss his life and work, but not at all comfortable with the spotlight.

Anyway, I am not in the slightest muscially inclined, can't really spot technique to save my life, but by far he is definitely one of the most amazing drummers I've ever heard.

Unforgiven

Well I don't know his biography Unforgiven. I was just sort of making a point that rock stars never lack girls.

Nothing wrong with that. While I am sure there were some girls to be had, these guys never got into the booze and drugs and groupies thing. Peart more than anything else read to start with. He still goes off to a quiet spot to read after he does his warm up in the bubba gump room they set up for him. While they all have done drugs and quite like a drink or two there is no addiction problems in the band. Might speak to why they can play such complicated music so well and still rock out heading into sixty. They do a three hour show which is a marathon playing live.

All are married and have kids now.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well, I'm a girl and I like Rush, so count me amongst the exceptions then.

Interview with Strombo I can see but Letterman does kind of surprise me. I got the impression in the film Beyond the Lighted Stage that he was quite open and willing to discuss his life and work, but not at all comfortable with the spotlight.

Anyway, I am not in the slightest muscially inclined, can't really spot technique to save my life, but by far he is definitely one of the most amazing drummers I've ever heard.

He sure works hard at it. From what I have read, he stops drumming altogether after a tour is done and gets into being a home body with his family. He has other interests like writing prose and travel. I think that he has toured so much that even when he doesn't tour, he'll tour without playing. Loves hiking and used to ride a bicycle first around cities they would play in, then from city to city then a bike tour of Africa. He then got a motorcycle and after he learned to ride, he started doing some runs, then while the other guys bought a plane to fly from show to show, he rented a bus and driver, with a trailer for the bikes, and travels to most of the shows by motorcycle. He usually takes a riding buddy along, Michael in the US and Brutus in Canada, Europe and South America.

They guy is a hardcore iron ***. Covers thousands of miles a year by motorcycle and not on the freeways either.

I played bass professionally when I was young, and having a family I had to let that go and work to make sure we had what we needed and provide my share of the parenting duties along side my wife. Better for the lids that way we think. A few years ago I started playing guitar as a hobby and have found quite a bit of joy in learning a new instrument. Music is technical, as technical as physics, computer science or anything else, but the beauty of it is that all that still gets reduced down to the lowest common denominator. The tapping foot. Get that and you get music. The more I learn about music the more there seems that I can learn about music.

Quote: Originally Posted by GroundWaterView Post

If you get the chance check out Neil at the Buddy Rich tribute concert.

Yeah Burning For Buddy. Excellent stuff! Buddy Rich was an altogether different animal. Kinda like Miles Davis or Beethoven.

El Barto
+1
One can not forget he writes most of the lyrics of the songs too. He can get kudos for that too.
Also admire him for his modesty and the courage to go on after what he has been through.
Cheers.

mentalfloss

YouTube - Bill Hicks - Sane Man - Part 5 of 9

Unforgiven
+1
In case you missed it or don't get Letterman or even for those who don't really like David Letterman Show, Neil Peart's drum solo from the show. Personally I think for a drummer, he has one hell of a horn section! heh heh, I am not sure if Gump (his drum tech) was with him or if the assistant to his drum tech did the switching. As a bit of trivia, Gump holds the record for most threats to quit his job made by a drum tech over his lengthy career and Neil Peart's drum tech. lol

YouTube - Neil Peart Drum Solo on Letterman692011

petros
At age 7 She has been to 22 Rush concerts, her mom my old roomate in Whistler is what is know as a Rush Rat. Kinda like a Dead Head.

She has me beat by 17 shows.