Ozzy Osbourne to be given Kerrang! rock legend award

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Rock legend Ozzy Osbourne, the lead singer of British heavy metal giants Black Sabbath, is to be given a Kerrang! rock legend award in June.

The singer is also playing a show in the capital in the same month to mark the rock magazine's 30th anniversary.

The 62 year-old singer, who formed Sabbath, the band often credited with inventing heavy metal, with three pals from the Aston area of Birmingham in 1969, will be given the prize at a ceremony in London on 9 June.

Ozzy, who once bit the head off a live bat and urinated on the Alamo, said: "It's an incredible honour to be the second recipient of Kerrang's legend award. I'm looking forward to you going crazy at the 30th Anniversary on 21st June in Hammersmith."

Kerrang! editor Nichola Browne said: "We are so unbelievably excited to have Ozzy play this very special show for our 30th birthday celebrations in June."

Osbourne was sacked from Black Sabbath, who are renowned for their dark, eerie music with its occult and horror-inspired lyrics (many accused them of being Satanists, but their music mostly dealt with social and political issues such as drugs and war), in 1980 and went on to have a successful solo career.

However, on 24th January this year, Osbourne said that he and his former bandmates - Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Bill Ward (drums) - are in the talking process of possible reunion and a studio album but nothing is definite yet.

British music magazine Kerrang! is the world's biggest selling weekly rock mag.

Ozzy Osbourne to be given Kerrang! rock legend award

Wednesday, 13 April 2011
BBC

Ozzy Osbourne will be honoured as a legend at this year's Kerrang! rock awards.

The 62-year-old will be given the prize at a ceremony in London on 9 June.

The singer is also playing a show in the capital in the same month to mark the rock magazine's 30th anniversary.

He said: "It's an incredible honour to be the second recipient of Kerrang's legend award. I'm looking forward to you going crazy at the 30th Anniversary on 21 June in Hammersmith."

Ozzy Osbourne rose to fame with heavy metal band Black Sabbath before starting a solo career in 1980.

In 1982, Ozzy Osbourne drunkenly urinated on a cenotaph erected in honour of those who died at the Alamo in Texas, across the street from the actual building. A police officer arrested him and Osbourne was subsequently banned from the city of San Antonio for a decade. When a cop asked him how he'd like it if he urinated on Buckingham Palace, Ozzy repiled that he wouldn't care because "I don't "f***ing live there!"

His 10th studio album, Scream, was released last year.

He also starred in a reality show about his family for MTV which also featured wife Sharon, son Jack and one of his daughters Kelly.

'Prince of Darkness'

Kerrang! editor Nichola Browne said: "We are so unbelievably excited to have Ozzy play this very special show for our 30th birthday celebrations in June.

Black Sabbath in 1971

Black Sabbath were ranked by MTV as the "Greatest Metal Band" of all time, and placed second in VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock" list, behind fellow Brits Led Zeppelin.

"We are privileged that the Prince of Darkness can help us mark this momentous milestone in style and it's guaranteed to be a night to remember.

"Ozzy has been the mainstay of rock music.

"During his long and colourful career, he's not only helped define heavy metal as the voice of Black Sabbath, he's also enjoyed a three-decade reign as a solo artist and inspired thousands of rock fans to go crazy during his unmissable live shows.

"He's a much-loved, larger-than-life personality, and it is only fitting that we will be honouring Ozzy with the prestigious Legend Award at this year's Kerrang! awards."

After widely-publicised drug and alcohol problems, the singer launched the Ozzfest in the 1990s and released his autobiography, I Am Ozzy in 2009.

The Kerrang! awards, voted for by readers, will be hosted by Slipknot frontman Corey Taylor and Anthrax and The Damned Things guitarist Scott Ian.

Also in 1982, Ozzy, whilst on his solo tour of the US, saw a rubber bat on the stage with him during a performance in Des Moines, Iowa. He picked it up and bit its head off - only to discover that it was actually a real, living bat. Many have since thought the story is a myth and that it was only a rubber bat, but according to Osbourne himself in the booklet to the 2002 edition of Diary of a Madman, the bat was not only alive but also managed to bite him, resulting in his having to take rabies shots. In an interview with a recent edition of Kerrang!, Osbourne described the bat's blood as having tasted "vile." However, another incident of animal decapitation was much more deliberate. As a solo artist, Ozzy had just signed with a new record label, CBS, and he and Sharon (his wife and manager) were being introduced to the head executives of the company in Los Angeles. CBS was not overly interested in Ozzy, having just signed Adam Ant, and to them he was just another album. In an attempt to gain their attention, and publicity, it was arranged that Ozzy would enter the office and then throw two doves into the air. It is unclear if the rest was intended or simply a spur of the moment decision on Ozzy's part, but instead of two doves flying into the air, Ozzy took one out of his pocket and bit the head off of it. Then with blood still dripping from his lips a security guard came to remove him and on the way out he bit the head off of another dove! Ozzy admits to being drunk at the time of the incident.

BBC - Newsbeat - Ozzy Osbourne to be given Kerrang! rock legend award

Last edited:

sedona

Aug 22, 2009
Oh my goodness, I dont know much about him
and the library just sent me his book
it has gone back as i had no time to read it

glad I did not

Sedona

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
YouTube - ‪Ozzy interview on Letterman‬‏

YouTube - ‪Ozzy Osbourne documentary pt. 4/11‬‏

3:31 into this video, it talks about the court case that was launched against Ozzy Osbourne by bible thumpers that were upset with Ozzy's lyrical content. It is very interesting.

Damn, if you want to watch an excellent documentary on Ozzy, then click on part 4, then watch all the parts. It makes a bit more sense if you watch them in order, but not much :)

YouTube - ‪Ozzy Osbourne documentary pt. 7/11‬‏

cool, this is the part that details the court case.