Trouble with TELUS

3lla

Dec 18, 2009
Hey all,

I just need a little advice. I'm having major billing issues with TELUS after they decided to just randomly add $200+ to my bill. I don't know if this is that often but its happened to me and I was wondering if there someway I could get out of this hole.
Basically I have a 3 year contract of which 5 months have passed by. I was wondering if there was anyway I could fight with TELUS so as to get them to cancel my contract without me having to pay the damm cancellation fee. I realize its quite optimistic but a transfer of ownership just wasn't working out as no one wants the phones.i would appreciate any feedback or comments plz. Thank you

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What were the $200+ charges for?

Certainly TELUS didn’t write
Code:
$200.00 ------------------------------------ Random Stuff 01/15/2010

The future is friendly.
on your bill, right? Chances are you just need the billing explained more in detail.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hey all,

I just need a little advice. I'm having major billing issues with TELUS after they decided to just randomly add $200+ to my bill. I don't know if this is that often but its happened to me and I was wondering if there someway I could get out of this hole.
Basically I have a 3 year contract of which 5 months have passed by. I was wondering if there was anyway I could fight with TELUS so as to get them to cancel my contract without me having to pay the damm cancellation fee. I realize its quite optimistic but a transfer of ownership just wasn't working out as no one wants the phones.i would appreciate any feedback or comments plz. Thank you
It appears you have the same problem my son faced a number of years ago. He signed a contract with me as his co-signer. They didn't really give him any trouble until about a couple of weeks before the end of his contract. Then when he was behind in his payment, the terms of the contract kicked in. The contract in very very fine print stated that they could terminate at their discretion and he would have to pay a fee. That fee was at least $200 - and then they added interest to it for each month they said it wasn't paid. He had paid for all the calls he had used but I refused to pay interest on interest. I could not have a phone in my own name from Telus for several years. Everytime we went to the bank for anything involving credit, that would come up. I told the bank I was not paying the bill no matter what. The bank told me not to say that and to just say that the bill was under dispute. Telus doesn't bother me but, that was about 12 years ago. I was going to switch my cell to my own name as it's a bother to have it in my husband's name. Oddly enough, I took it as almost a warning from the girl I was speaking to when I wanted to make the change. She said: If you change it, there will be a credit check! I have no reason to fear a credit check even from them but I don't know what they might do even after all these years so I am leaving well enough alone. So, I am assuming that if you read your contract, they have made a decison to cancel it as is their right and they are billing you. You can either pay or have bad credit for a very long time. Depends on how bad you need a clean record of credit and believe me - it's very important to have a very clean record.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The member above said that only five months of the contract have elapsed... with thirty-one months left to go. There’s no way that TELUS would have self-terminated the contract in that timeframe unless the account was defaulting, in which case $200 is the least of the member’s problems.

And on a more positive note, VanIsle, don’t items of credit (good or bad) on your credit report automatically clear at seven years? (I’m pretty sure that’s how it works, but I’m still a bit murky when it comes to credit stuff.)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The member above said that only five months of the contract have elapsed... with thirty-one months left to go. There’s no way that TELUS would have self-terminated the contract in that timeframe unless the account was defaulting, in which case $200 is the least of the member’s problems.

And on a more positive note, VanIsle, don’t items of credit (good or bad) on your credit report automatically clear at seven years? (I’m pretty sure that’s how it works, but I’m still a bit murky when it comes to credit stuff.)
I'm very aware of what he said and from what he says, I think he's in arrears and they have called in his contract. He's searching for a way out of paying the bill and I understand his frustration because it's hard to make yourself pay a bill you don't feel you owe. The problem is, if they do the same as they did with me (co-signer), they continued to add interest on top of interest until the amount owing was huge. If he doesn't deal with this, probably the same will happen.
If you want to believe that your credit clears after seven years, just check it out. Anything bad reported on your credit stays forever. It is never cleared unless you clear it yourself and you have to prove it should be cleared. It's good to check your credit. At one time we checked ours. Anyone who wants to can add crap to your credit report. Someone reports a name and on it goes. We went to a bank once for a small loan and we were treated like trash. We were totally embarrassed and could not understand why the fellow treated us so poorly. We had a look at our record. There was stuff on our name from places we had never lived and had never been to. They don't care what they add to your name so before any major purchase such as a mtg, make sure your ducks are in a row. My husband has a fairly common name so he was on the phone for close to two hours clearing things up. Never ever think your credit is clear until you check. Just to give you an idea, I queried my husband's name on facebook. There are six pages of people with the same name. Mine is different so there is only a few of "me".

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Dont screw with telus on their contracts,they will sell your bill to a collection agency and ruin your credit in no time at all.They are ruthless that way.

Been there done that with a mobility contract,
Their not a very friendly outfit when it comes to late payments.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Kakato is right. Phone companies have massive power when it comes to black marks, 1 un payed bill is enough for them to destroy your credit rating.

If you can prove that the charges are false or miss leading then call the fair trade commission. I had an $8000 mobile bill over turned because they charged me for content that was meant to be free in my contract.