Better Cellphone Plan Anyone?

3lla

Dec 18, 2009
Hey All,

I'm currently have a blackberry with Telus , and I'm paying around $45 for the my plan after SAF and taxes.
It seemed great when I got it but I hate contracts and I hate how they tend to screw up my bill all the time. I was wondering If anyone could tell me of a plan preferably without a dumb contract and with the same or better features as the ones i have right now and will mention below. Thanks for the help

200 daytime minutes (incoming and outgoing)
Unlimited Nationwide my5
Free 'Social Networking' which includes blackberry messenger, MSN, Yahoo Facebook and all the other popular stupid stuff out there today.
Unlimited Texting
Unlimited Evenings and Weekends (Evenings start at 6 pm)

The plan is called a Student Blackberry 35 plan

3lla

Dec 18, 2009
If you have a contract, how do you plan to get out of it?

Hey, Thought of that already lol. My phone is up for sale at a price of $0 for anyone willing to take over the plan. I've advertised it on usedOttawa and Kjiji. I've been getting good responses so far and I might have a few serious takers. I don't know if you've heard of it but they have something called transfer of ownership. Essentially, you don't pay the cancellation fee and they keep their customer.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
We have been discussing a new company starting up in Canada called Globalive under the name Wind Wireless

WIND Mobile | Home

They show as having no contracts..

They are just starting up now ( Dec 2009 ) and have service in most cities of Canada but do not have stores everywhere yet..

If you can wait a bit they will soon have them everywhere..

3lla

Dec 18, 2009
We have been discussing a new company starting up in Canada called Globalive under the name Wind Wireless

WIND Mobile | Home

They show as having no contracts..

They are just starting up now ( Dec 2009 ) and have service in most cities of Canada but do not have stores everywhere yet..

If you can wait a bit they will soon have them everywhere..

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I've looked into them and apparently they don't have a branch in Ottawa, at least not yet. Do you know if they operate using a SIM card? If that's the case I should be able to order one and use my own phone.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hey, Thanks for the reply. I've looked into them and apparently they don't have a branch in Ottawa, at least not yet. Do you know if they operate using a SIM card? If that's the case I should be able to order one and use my own phone.

They do use SIM cards but I believe the flavour of GSM they use (Advanced Wireless Services , 1710 to 1755 MHz, and from 2110 to 2155 MHz) is different then any cell phone provider in Canada. The only other carrier that uses the same frequency band is T-Mobile in the US.

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - WIND FAQ's [10/17/09] - ★ The WIND Mobile Sticky FAQ ★

Q: Can I buy a WIND phone and use that SIM card in an unlocked phone that I already own?

A: Yes, but the phone selection is very limited as WIND uses different bands from most existing wireless carriers. The only current exception is T-Mobile in the USA. So, if you have an unlocked phone from *T-Mobile, yes, you should be able to use that phone on the WIND network. *ONLY "3G" phones from T-Mobile will work on WIND.

3lla

Dec 18, 2009
They do use SIM cards but I believe the flavour of GSM they use (Advanced Wireless Services , 1710 to 1755 MHz, and from 2110 to 2155 MHz) is different then any cell phone provider in Canada. The only other carrier that uses the same frequency band is T-Mobile in the US.

Hey thanks for the reply. I have 2 phones both of which I bought off eBay, One is the treo and the other is the Xperia. Both are decent smartphones and they haven't given me problems at all. I've used them in Dubai as well as in USA both times with a local SIM, and they worked like a charm, So I think I'm safe there. But plan wise do you think WIND can beat the one I have at the moment? Being a new company I would assume that they will offer competitive pricing and great plans but what does the chatter tell us? I have lost hope trying to find anything decent and I have used Telus. Bell mobility, Rogers and Fido over the course of the past yr. Initially they are all fine but then they start to fool around with your bill. Yes after an hour and then some I do get my bill back to what it is supposed to be but I'd rather not have to go thru that headache. I guess I am Ranting now so i'll stop now. Thank you in advance to anyone who does give feedback.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Hey thanks for the reply. I have 2 phones both of which I bought off eBay, One is the treo and the other is the Xperia. Both are decent smartphones and they haven't given me problems at all. I've used them in Dubai as well as in USA both times with a local SIM, and they worked like a charm, So I think I'm safe there. But plan wise do you think WIND can beat the one I have at the moment? Being a new company I would assume that they will offer competitive pricing and great plans but what does the chatter tell us? I have lost hope trying to find anything decent and I have used Telus. Bell mobility, Rogers and Fido over the course of the past yr. Initially they are all fine but then they start to fool around with your bill. Yes after an hour and then some I do get my bill back to what it is supposed to be but I'd rather not have to go thru that headache. I guess I am Ranting now so i'll stop now. Thank you in advance to anyone who does give feedback.

Our past problems is that you ONLY had 3 choices really..

Rogers ( they also own Fido )
Bell ( they also own Solo and Virgin )
Telus ( they own Koodo )

Now starting in Dec 2009 we see
Wind Wireless
Sometime in 2010 will also join up
Dave Wireless
Shaw Wireless Div
and
Videotron Wireless Div..

Part of the issue with Shaw and Videontron is no one really know where and what they will cover ( geographic ).. Will they cover the Cable area they have or all of Canada..

We also do not know, much like Clearnet and Fido started, how long those companies above will last before a competitor buys them out..

3lla

Dec 18, 2009
Our past problems is that you ONLY had 3 choices really..

Rogers ( they also own Fido )
Bell ( they also own Solo and Virgin )
Telus ( they own Koodo )

Now starting in Dec 2009 we see
Wind Wireless
Sometime in 2010 will also join up
Dave Wireless
Shaw Wireless Div
and
Videotron Wireless Div..

Part of the issue with Shaw and Videontron is no one really know where and what they will cover ( geographic ).. Will they cover the Cable area they have or all of Canada..

We also do not know, much like Clearnet and Fido started, how long those companies above will last before a competitor buys them out..

Ahh yes, These three companies must be making oodles of money. Well i hope these companies last. As long as these companies have a monoply on providing wireless we have no chance of getting decent or competitive service.

3lla

Dec 18, 2009
Sorry the last post was quite unclear. I meant that as long as Telus Roger and Bell have a monoply on the wireless service area we wont be getting many changes in the pricing

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Sorry the last post was quite unclear. I meant that as long as Telus Roger and Bell have a monoply on the wireless service area we wont be getting many changes in the pricing

Hopefully that will change soon, Canadians are fleeced on a whole.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Rather than start a new topic, I thought I would revive this one.

I'm planning on buying a used cellphone. I am not signing up for a 3 yr contract, so my carrier won't be pay the cost of a "Free" phone for me.

Is it possible to save money on my plan?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Virgin Mobile, $57/mo - unlimted Canadian calling, unlimited Texting, 1 gig of data
- NO CONTRACT!!!

(plus extra $5 and get 10 hrs of TV that does not use your bandwidth)

iPhone 4 for $220 with a $150 rebate.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Let me rephrase.....I was able to get a $700 smartphone for $100 and a 3 yr contract on a $57 /month plan. How cheap can I get the plan if all they have to pass me is the sim card?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Virgin Mobile, $57/mo - unlimted Canadian calling, unlimited Texting, 1 gig of data
- NO CONTRACT!!!

(plus extra $5 and get 10 hrs of TV that does not use your bandwidth)

iPhone 4 for $220 with a $150 rebate.

I would say with all the problems my son had with Virgin your best bet is to avoid them like the black plague. Just a ripoff!