Could you survive/go on without a cell phone.....

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Personally, I don't have one. No problem. Use an FRS.

Your opinions?

Thank you.

scratch

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I have mine for emergency purposes only, I don't have a phone land line at the cottage.
I rarely use it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I use a cell phone roughly 7 minutes a month. My cell phone provider has asked that I go in and sign up for a special plan they have for sad sacks like me, that would put my bill at $17 a month due to my extremely low rate of use. The only reason I have the thing is because schools expect instant contact now. If you kid gets sick or hurt, they no longer know how to deal with it themselves, and rely on instantly being able to get you on the line to tell them what to do.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I use a cell phone roughly 7 minutes a month. My cell phone provider has asked that I go in and sign up for a special plan they have for sad sacks like me, that would put my bill at $17 a month due to my extremely low rate of use. The only reason I have the thing is because schools expect instant contact now. If you kid gets sick or hurt, they no longer know how to deal with it themselves, and rely on instantly being able to get you on the line to tell them what to do.

Scant usage is good and the best when it comes to your children.

scratch

...`they no longer know how to deal with it themselves`
I find that scandalous and extremely irresponsible....

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I use it all the time, have my home phone forwarded and so on. My wife and I even use it in large stores once we split up and go to different parts of the store. My kids know they can call me anytime they need to call me. The same deal goes for when they were in school. If they felt they needed to call me anytime anywhere, they could call me.

I taught them both that texting and unimportant calls were unacceptable during school or work and so they only use it when they really need to. Afterward, they could knock themselves out. There is nothing more important to me than my wife and kids so I demand instant access should they really need me for something any time of the day or night.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I haven't bought one yet, and I won't be planning on doing so until some control is put over these greedy companies and their charges brought down to earth.

Sure some may think they're a lot cheaper then they used to be, and sure.... they're having good competition between each other and makes it seem like they're trying to give you the cheapest plan over the next guy...... but until they make local calls free and long distance calls are similar in charging as LAN phones..... in fact, make their billing identical to LANs.... you're being scammed from day one.

All these charges per minute for this and that..... calling a cab, calling a friend, calling someone a few blocks down the street.... you get charged per minute for most plans. Sure there are plans where you may get unlimited local calls..... but you gotta pay extra for that package. Frig, you get charged for a simple text message, now both on send and incoming.

Don't forget about many additional charges they all put on those bills...... some old charges for getting additional money for development of new towers and increased reception areas back in the early 90's. Guess what? All the towers have been built.... and apparently it was recently shown that many cell companies have left this charge on in many locations, even though this approved charge had expired.

I can not find the original report I read a few months back, but perhaps this would shed some light on the additional reasons why I'm not stupid enough to buy into these scum bag cell companies:

http://www.thepacket.ca/index.cfm?sid=152575&sc=373

.......He said it was time for the federal government to rescue the nation's cell phone users by banning the system access fee along with extra charges like call display, roaming fees and 911 service.

He said the Canadian cellular service industry has collected billions of dollars through 'misleading' charges over the last 25 years. And all of those extra charges double the cost of most rate plans, contract terms change as rapidly as 'no service' zones in Newfoundland, and agreements are clouded with unnecessary words and vague clauses.

How many of you received a series of letters last month from Bell Canada advising you your MSN Live service was now going to cost $5 per month? Or how about purchasing unlimited web and text messaging only to discover not all of your messaging is free?

Maybe it's not all little Johnny's fault when mom and dad get that $600 cellular bill? Especially when not even the grown-ups know about the extra charges?

But this isn't the first time cell fees have been called into question. Four years ago, Telus was forced to refund customers it had double-billed.

Three years ago, a CBC Marketplace investigation discovered there was no real reason for the system access fee, then about $6.95.

It reported cell service providers separate the charge from regular plans so they can advertise lower prices, but consumers tend to think it's something charged by government.

The Marketplace report, aired in 2005, said there's no reason long distance fees are what they are on a cell phone. There's no longer a need to switch the radio signal into an analog telephone line, so there's really no actual need, other than profit, for cell carriers to charge an average of 100 per cent more per minute - unless you've hedged that need by adding a few long distance minutes to your plan.

Let's not even go into the per-minute versus per-second billing, but a well-known US service provider offers its clients unlimited North American calling for just $5 per month.

Defending the industry was the same Peter Barnes who defended the industry to Marketplace. He's the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association president and he said Mr. McGuinty was basing his arguments on misconceptions and faulty comparisons.

He said rates have dropped an average of 45 per cent over the last five years and the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission has reviewed the industry each year and consistently advised against regulating cell phone prices.

Granted, for early adopters of consumer-grade cellular two decades ago, prices have come down. In that day, the government permitted the system access fee to help providers set aside funds to build the network standard of today. The problem is those fees should be built into monthly plans instead of added-on in a kind of bait-and-switch manoeuver.

Mr. Barnes said all people really need to do is look at their contracts. All of the charges, surcharges and extra fees are spelled out in black and white. If you managed to wade through the impossible two-point type and you're still feeling like you've been suckered, you're not alone.

Last fall, a Saskatchewan judge allowed a class action suit to proceed against Canada's cell phone providers. It's valued at some $12 billion (plus interest) and alleges the providers misled monthly subscribers by implying system access fees are somehow required by federal regulators. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

And that $4 billion figure at the top? Mr. McGuinty said that's the estimated annual profit split amongst Canada's cell service providers. Gotta like those extras.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I do not own a cellphone, so it looks like my survival rate will be quite good for this.;-):p:lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, it seems like an awful lot of people here who haven't bought into the need to be constantly connected.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
We have never owned a cellphone. My wife occasionally has to make use of a strictly work-phone unit, but it is part of the security system at her job, so only is she is opening or closing the store does she need to use it to maintain constant communication while locking up and activating the alarms etc. The phone is not to EVER be used except in that particular situation OR in actual criminal emergencies as it only dials certain numbers anyways

So yeah, if cellphones disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't change our personal lives at all..The current ONLY phone in our house has got to be 30 years old at least, an early touchtone Bell phone, bone coloured, with the bells and all, it freaks people out when it rings, and will break your foot should you drop it :)

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
We have never owned a cellphone. My wife occasionally has to make use of a strictly work-phone unit, but it is part of the security system at her job, so only is she is opening or closing the store does she need to use it to maintain constant communication while locking up and activating the alarms etc. The phone is not to EVER be used except in that particular situation OR in actual criminal emergencies as it only dials certain numbers anyways

So yeah, if cellphones disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't change our personal lives at all..The current ONLY phone in our house has got to be 30 years old at least, an early touchtone Bell phone, bone coloured, with the bells and all, it freaks people out when it rings, and will break your foot should you drop it :)

Maybe I can top that.
I have a mustard coloured wall phone in the kitchen with a rotary dial. I have been using it for eight years now. No problems. Its age ...early 60s?

regs,
scratch

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I have never owned a cell phone, either.. and can say with confidence that i never will own one. Most of my experience with cell phones are with people being rude and using it libraries, next to you on trains or buses, restaurants always talking too loud and invading the tranquility of other's space, or worse doing incredibly stupid things while driving their cars.. always talking about nothing important. Many seem to have a pathological need for company in our society, and inability to cope with being alone with your own thoughts, that incessant chatter seems to mollify, however superficially. That's fine.. i'm just tired of people barging into my own space with it. My hopes are that they will come up with a commercial signal suppressor, that will keep people from using it in public places where it bothers others with inane babble.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I have never owned a cell phone, either.. and can say with confidence that i never will own one. Most of my experience with cell phones are with people being rude and using it libraries, next to you on trains or buses, restaurants always talking too loud and invading the tranquility of other's space, or worse doing incredibly stupid things while driving their cars.. always talking about nothing important. Many seem to have a pathological need for company in our society, and inability to cope with being alone with your own thoughts, that incessant chatter seems to mollify, however superficially. That's fine.. i'm just tired of people barging into my own space with it. My hopes are that they will come up with a commercial signal suppressor, that will keep people from using it in public places where it bothers others with inane babble.

Had a cell at one time but eventually with the plethora of free downloads that I was told were upgrades, hardened me against the once handy device and it found itself thrown against a brick wall because its original intent had been surpassed by other's needs to be faster, smarter and to have more features.

My FRS serves my purposes as does my ancient wall phone.

regs,
scratch