Wireless phone provider for Hamilton, Ont.

davidh

Jun 28, 2007
Hi everybody,

I'll soon move to Canada, more specifically to Hamilton, Ont., and wanted to ask you about a suitable wireless phone provider.

Even though I'm European, I'm not a heavy user of wireless phones, so, according to my calculations, a prepaid card makes much more sense for me than a monthly plan since monthly charges are quite high in Canada. I already have an unlocked GSM phone, so could choose Rogers or Fido.

Surprisingly, with a Rogers prepaid card, one can only call a limited number of foreign countries from Canada, whereas with a Fido prepaid card, one can call virtually every foreign country from Canada.

In that sense, a Fido prepaid card would probably make most sense. My biggest reservation about getting a prepaid plan though is that, unless in most European countries, I would not be able to use the phone abroad. I still have an old European tri-band GSM mobile for which roaming works almost everywhere, but somehow it would be much more convenient to be able to be called on my Canadian number regardless of where I am. On the other hand, a monthly plan, which would allow for that, would cost me approximately $20 more a month than a prepaid card.

Any thoughts? Any cheap monthly plans, or prepaid cards with which I could also use my Canadian phone abroad?

Many thanks and best wishes,

David