Why dose my bill show milton

soverell

Dec 10, 2006
I have a huge problem that needs to be cleared up. I work in Burlington Ontario, most of my air time starts in the mornings in Stoney creek I then go to my office in Burlington near walkersLine and the south service road. I sell real estate in the burlington area mainly. When looking at my phone bill it looks as if I am in Milton all the time. Does anyone have the ansewer

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I have a huge problem that needs to be cleared up. I work in Burlington Ontario, most of my air time starts in the mornings in Stoney creek I then go to my office in Burlington near walkersLine and the south service road. I sell real estate in the burlington area mainly. When looking at my phone bill it looks as if I am in Milton all the time. Does anyone have the ansewer

It would seem to me this would not be the appropriate place to seek that answer. If it was me, I'd telephone my phone service provider to ask this question.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

My guess is you are being picked up by a cell tower that the phone company calls Milton. In some places north east of Oshawa a tower in New York sometimes picks up your signal and your bill says Waterport NY. Although I've not had this problem since switching to Telus from Rogers.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
My guess is you are being picked up by a cell tower that the phone company calls Milton. In some places north east of Oshawa a tower in New York sometimes picks up your signal and your bill says Waterport NY. Although I've not had this problem since switching to Telus from Rogers.

That is most likely what has happened. Phones are programmed by default to look automatically for any network that their phones support (if it's Rogers or Fido, a GSM network; if Bell or Telus a TDMA) and to lock in on the closest one. The best way to get around it is to check the display on the phone to see what company or network you are connected to. For best results, when you are in your home, go into your phone's network settings (usually buried somewhere in the settings options) and set it to manual. Usually you can scan for what's in your area you can connect to, and just choose that one; it will stay connected to it unless you choose otherwise.

And yes, Telus would not pick it up because they use a different, older technology in their cell circuitry - the US uses GSM technology almost exclusively, so no US pickup for you.