Rogers prepaid plan

rubixcube

Nov 23, 2006
Hello I have four questions.
My first question is about the all day plan for the pay as you go choice. Is it 25 cents for the first 5 minutes of THE DAY? Or is it the first 5 minutes of A CALL?
My second question is that can you buy any phone from Rogers and make it a pay as you go plan?
My third question is that I was wondering if there is a 100$ top up card that lasts for 360 days? If there is where do I buy it? And what are the top up cards and their expiration days.
My last question is that do you have to pay extra for the auto save plan because I'm so lost about that stuff. Whats the advantage for rogers to have this plan?:?

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
1. It's the first five minutes of every call. If you make more shorter calls than longer calls, it's a good choice, but after the first 5 minutes it costs more. If you use it more at night, see if you can get the Evenings & Weekends plan; they were offering it at 1 cent a minute after 9pm (though I know they also were once offering it beginning at 6pm). If you use it a lot any time of the day, go with the AnyTime Plan. With all of them, voicemail is included free, but uses up your time when you check it. Call display is included for free, as is call waiting and call forwarding.

2. Yes, you can buy any phone, but you'll have to pay for it outright, and it will cost a lot more. The Rogers phones to buy outright start at around $229. You can also buy them from online vendors, as long as they are labelled as "Unlocked GSM" phones. You'll still have to buy a proper SIM card for them and at least $20 worth of time (both of these come with the outrighted phones from Rogers).

3. Yes, the $100 card exists; it lasts 365 days or til the time runs out, whichever comes first. Other cards come in $10, $20, $30, $40, and last 30 days or until the time runs out. You can carry time over if you purchase more before the end of each 30 days. If you're forgettful, buy the $100 card. You can also txt for more time, and have credit card top up options. You can buy them at Rogers wireless stores, Mac's convenience stores, The Source by Circuit City, Wireless Wave, Wal-Mart and pretty much anywhere you see a Rogers wireless sign on it.

4. No, you don't pay extra for the auto top up - in fact, it's about 20% cheaper. Rogers has it because this way, you're ensuring that you're continually purchasing time from them, as opposed to eventually fogetting about it and getting a phone with another provider. It's easier for them as well, because they don't have to do any extra work entering the information, as it's done automatically. Nicely enough, the same applies to you.

Last edited:

rubixcube

Nov 23, 2006
:smilebox: I think you made a mistake since the plan is 25 cents for the first 5 minutes and 15 cents for the rest. What does rest mean? The rest of the call or the rest of the day? yeah because you said it would be more expensive but it would actually be cheaper... LOL oh and also it starts at 8 pm i think for the other plan you were talking about:wave:

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
:smilebox: I think you made a mistake since the plan is 25 cents for the first 5 minutes and 15 cents for the rest. What does rest mean? The rest of the call or the rest of the day? yeah because you said it would be more expensive but it would actually be cheaper... LOL oh and also it starts at 8 pm i think for the other plan you were talking about:wave:

Sorry about that, the coffee didn't kick in. Ya, if you know you're gonna use it more than $20 worth a month, go for the all day plan, it's quite a bit cheaper than the Anytime plan. The only catch is that you have to get a minimum of $20 a month as opposed to $10. If you plan to use it more after 6pm, go fo the new "$1 a Day Unlimited Evenings & Weekends Plan", which seems like a fairly reasonable deal if you're using it a lot.

The other plan I was talking about does indeed start at 8; it used to depend on your timezone when it started (8 or 9 pm).

Couple of things. A contract is way, way cheaper (especially cause you get a better phone as well, and if you txt a lot there's some really good plans you can attach), and all of the pay-go information for Rogers can be found here.

rubixcube

Nov 23, 2006
yh

okay i've got a new question. You know when you can "upgrade" your phone? so can i "upgrade " my phone right now( i have a horrible plan) to get a cheaper price and than just "reunupgrade" it or cancel my plan and change the phones to pay as you go?:?

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
okay i've got a new question. You know when you can "upgrade" your phone? so can i "upgrade " my phone right now( i have a horrible plan) to get a cheaper price and than just "reunupgrade" it or cancel my plan and change the phones to pay as you go?:?

If you're with Rogers you can change your plan at anytime without penalty. All you have to do is phone their customer service line (*611 on your phone, or 1-800-IMAGINE from any phone) and tell them you need a different plan (have your account information ready). They will help you fit one to your needs (most people go with a megatime plan). Better yet, find one on the Rogers website (it's under rates and plans) and you can just tell them the exact name of the one you want.

If you upgrade your phone, which you can only do after the first year of your contract, keep in mind that you will be renew your committment to Rogers for 2 or 3 years from the date of the upgrade, in addition to paying the upgrade fee on your bill to get the new phone (as well as a $35 admin fee).

If you cancel your plan for any reason, it'll cost you $20/month remaining on your contract, up to a maximum of $200 to buy out of your contract, at which time you can put the phone on pay-as-you-go. If you want to sign up again as a new customer (ie. get cheap prices on the phones), you have to be off their contract service for at least 6 months to do so.

Sometimes it's cheaper to go one way than the other.

doratheexplorer

Dec 28, 2007
I would like to know if the $100 dollar Pay as You Go card that has a 365 day expiry date, requires an additional $30 top up per month on the $1/day AUTO SAVE plan.