Fido lied/deceived me on multiple occasions.

simoncp22

Sep 19, 2006
I just cancelled my 3 year contract with Fido. Luckily for me, they were able to convince me to do this while still in the 15 day trial period in which I do not have to pay any cancellation fee. Had I waited any longer I woudl have had to pay them $200 to get out of a contract that I didn't originally agree to. Apparently this $200 buy out is a selling feature for them.... go figure.
This is why I cancelled my account. I signed up for a $35/month plan and when I asked the salesman if this was all I was going to be paying he assured me that it was, plus a $0.50 monthly charge for the 911 service. This appealed to me and I confirmed with him that I would only be paying $35.50/month plus taxes for the next 36 months before I signed the contract. I did not read the contract at the time, and it wasn't until I had contacted them for a third time due to problems with my service that I realized they were planning on charging me $6.95/month extra for the 'system access fee'. When I finally got through to them and explained that I did not agree to this, the rather rude customer service person named Julie told me that she wouldn't charge me the 'system access fee' at all for the first 12 months. Good deal right? Wrong! They are still getting $166.80 from me that I didn't agree to. After telling another rather rude customer service person that my only option was to pursue a lawsuit against them if they didn't honor the contract I agreed to, she threatened me by telling me they had a large team of lawyers that dealt with these so good luck.
Not wanting to rush into things I decided to think about it. Maybe the 12 months without the 'system access fee' is a good deal? In fact, after shopping around it was the best deal I could find hands down. This is why when I finally decided to cancel I have no regrets whatsoever about doing it. You get what you pay for is what I say, and Fido has been rude to me, lied to me, been extremely unhelpful and generally just isn't the kind of company I want to be giving me money to for the next three years no matter what kind of deal I can get. I believe Rogers owns Fido and so I won't be spenidng my money there either.
Please remember to read the small print. Please remember that unless you stand up to a company that is taking advantage of you because they know they have they only or best deal in town, they will continue to do this because it is an effective way for them to make money. You get what you pay for. Encourage a better standard of cell phone service for us all by paying for something that makes you happy.
I'm not sure where I'm getting my next phone, but it sure won't be Fido or Rogers.

Sincerely,

SCP

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
Not to be a jerk, but I've handed out about 700 of the Rogers/Fido contracts in questions for customers to sign in the past year, and the system access fee, a standard in every cell phone company in Canada (whether it be monthly or an annual fee) is clearly labelled in the "fine print".

While you can ask the sales associate all the questions you want, it is your responsibility and yours alone to read the contract to its full extent before signing the dotted line, committing you to a written, binding contract - that is its only point, as anything else that occurs during the transaction is purely hearsay.

Sorry that you had a bad experience, but quite frankly, you're more than a little responsible for your mess, especially when, in your own words "I did not read the contract at the time." How you can expect to be the victim here seems rather incredible, as in fact you did agree to it by signing the contract (in fact, the last full signature at the bottom with your name and the date states that indeed you have read and understood everything in the contract).

Honestly, what provokes people to sign a long-term, binding, potentially credit-destroying contract without at least purusing the contract? Is it really not worth 5 minutes of your time? Would you do the same with a car or a house? Of course not, so why do it for something you'll likely shell out more than $1500 for over the life of the contract.

P.S. Appreciate the $200 buy-out; there's two companies in Thunder Bay which have no limit to their cancellation fees. It's $20/month with no maximum, and they want the phone back.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Fido has the worse customer service of any company I have ever dealt with.
Just wait until they start giving you telemarketing calls several times a day. When you tell them to stop, they just keep calling. It's bad enough being disturbed several times a day, imagine having to pay 30 cents a minute to talk to telemarketers? Ridiculous. They tell you they'll stop calling you, but they don't. Let me know if you find a decent company, I'm in the market now.

simoncp22

Sep 19, 2006
reply to snowles

I do not deny that fact that I should have read the entire contract. In fact, after cancelling my contract with Fido within the 15 days, I went to Telus and read their contract and have had excellent service from them since. The salesperson working for Telus took the time to highlight and point out any terms in the contract which may be viewed as onerus (such as the system access fee), which I greatly appreciated. I am guessing Telus has trained it's employess to do so. I thought there might be good reason for this, and in fact there is. You state that it is my signature on the contract that proves I have agreed to all of the terms contained within it, however after researching I have found that there is a legal responsibility of the party providing the contract to address the attention of the signator to any onerus terms that a resonable person would not be aware of when signing the contract. In my particular situation I asked the salesperson if there were any fees above the $35/month plus the $0.50/month 911 fee. He told me there were none besides the taxes on top of the $35.50/month. Although you argue that it might be common knowledge that all companies have a $6.95/month system access fee, in my case I had clarified with him the sum that should be showing up on my bill each month. Despite that fact that there was blatant misrepresentation, it seems clear that any reasonable person would agree that after clarifying my price with the salesperson I was not aware of and therefor not agreeing to this $6.95/month system access fee when I signed the contract.
I will state again that I should have read the contract. In fact, had the customer service provided to me by Fido not been so dissappointing and frustrating I likely would still be with them. The fact remains that I had an extremely unpleasant experience with Fido, and now that I am with Telus I could not be happier thus far. It is nice to know that some companies will take the time to explain to you exactly what you are getting yourself into instead of simply trying to get your signature and money and rush you out the door. Had Fido taken the time to do that, there is a chance I would still be their customer, although I highly doubt it considering the manners of some customer service representatives. My advice to people looking for quality cell phone service providers is to read the contract and appreciate the fact that the salesperson goes through the contract with you (ask them to if they do not). Do not waste your time or money on Fido. My advice to Fido would be to train your salespeople not to misrepresent and to take the time to go over the contract with the each customer. If it takes 5 minutes to read the contract then how hard can it be for them to do that? The salesperson at Telus did a fine job of this.

Last edited:

simoncp22

Sep 19, 2006
reply to snowles

I have some questions for you snowles. When you handed out your 700 contracts how many people read them before signing them? How many customers did you go over all of the terms of the contract with? If it in fact only takes 5 minutes then I can't see any reason why you wouldn't. I would appreciate any future comments. I would like to highlight the fact that you said "while you can ask the sales associate all the questions you want, it is your responsibility and yours alone to read the contract to it's full extent before signing the dotted line...as anything else that occurs during the transaction is purley hearsay". My learned friend, this is dead wrong and I think you will find yourself getting into some sticky situations if you continue to believe this. Misprepresentation of the terms in a contract deem those terms void. I encourage you to research this fact if you do not believe me.
On that note, if I can ask the sales associate all the questions I want but it is purely hearsay, then what exactly is the purpose of having a sales associate? Can I trust anything they say? Surely that can't be the message you are trying to spread about Roger/Fido. I would appreciate some clarification as to your prespective on my situation as a Rogers employee and supposed advocate.

Sincerely,

SCP

Last edited:

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
Hey Simoncp22, I'll answer your questions; I apperciate the candor and open conversation we can have; it is far more pleasing than having to calm down an irrate customer :)

The fact of the matter is, for every person who reads the contract, there are probably 2 or 3 who do not. I personally go over every detail of the contract as much as possible, but it is also why I am an above average salesperson (and as a result, I usually take about 20 mins. longer per transaction). There are, however, many people who, as soon as I put the contract down, simply sign it without any regard for its content. These, unfortunately, are often the same people who come back in to complain. My response, and the response of any dealer company, is that there is little I can do at that point, and that direct contact with the provider is all I can refer to. I am a salesperson, and that is all I can do is sell. Just like asking a car salesperson to work on your transmission, I cannot get into the technical, billing or retention issues of the company; I am just a dealer.

As for the hearsay comment, I am afraid that while I oversimplified, that I am indeed correct. While you are correct in that "[m]isprepresentation of the terms in a contract deem those terms void," you will have a very difficult, if not impossible task ahead of you of proving such misrepresentation - you must rely on "s/he said" hearsay as opposed to a written contract, signed and dated numerous times stating your intent; any cell phone company and their very vast team of lawyers can clearly claim "innocent misrepresentation" and not fraudulent representation, which I am of the belief you are referring to, even if the majority of the conditions needed for fraudulent representation have been met. In your specific case, all a judge would have to hear is that you failed to read the contract and that would be that, especially since the system access fee is listed - if it was waived or non-existent, the contract would have to have it ommitted, and if it was crossed out by the sales associate, you would initial it - since it was not, you have acknowledged its existence by signing (and since you signed on with Telus and agreed to pay system access fees, you would have a tough time saying its existence would have influenced your decision through precedence). I have minored in law and my specialization is in Canadian civil law, so I am by no means going on beliefs or on what a company tells me; often I am the one going above and beyond to get the customer more (and believe me, there are always channels to try and make things better for the customer).

This I can attest to. While I have indeed done about 700 of these contracts, there is a lot, and I mean A LOT of information to remember. I work for the Source, and we sell far more than just cell phones (I do not know of your purchasing store's inventory). We sell everything under the sun, from all types of phones to computers, accessories, batteries, gadgets, televisions, mp3 players, cords and fuses and resistors and musical instrucments, and I am expected to know how all 14,000 stocked items function, operate and coincide with each other - for a minimum wage job, it is very technically demanding and specific.

While I remember 100% of the information 99% of the time, there is sometimes information I just forget to say, as it gets lost in the shuffle of the conversation - it is by no means an attempt at fraudulence, but it does indeed happen from time to time, even for the best and most experienced sales people (hence the 'innocent misrepresentation' defence). You have to go over for a cell phone (and these vary depending on provider and location): establishing a need, determining if it works where they need it to, determining whether they have a contract, going over all of the plans (they change monthly and vary by region in the country), going over all of the phones and their functions and differences, getting two proper pieces of identification (this part always stuns me), doing a credit check, establishing all of the costs, going through and activating the phone, getting the contract perused and signed, ringing the sales through on the POS, turning on and setting up the phone. That is A LOT of activity for 20 minutes; try doing a family plan over Christmas rush (I've had someone want me to set up 4 phones in 25 minutes before their kids' play began).

Furthermore, we have to acknowledge that while there is a lot of information for me to give, and it is very, very difficult for the customer to take it all in in such a short amount of time. That is not to say that it makes it right, but it does indeed happen, which is why it is so, so important for the customer to read out the contract before signing it, for clairty in a time in inundation - checks and balances are what makes the system work. I personally, before the customer signs, and after I have given my spiel, tell the customer "before you sign, just go over it and let me know if there's anything that's unclear to you; you are, after all entering into a contract." Again, that is a personal thing I do, but it is by no means a universal truth among cell phone reps (and let's be honest here, there's always people who are ****ty at their jobs or lie to get ahead, and you will continue to encounter them as you go through life).

Another thing to be honest about; sales associates don't give jack squat about "trying to get your signature and money and rush you out the door." You will pay somewhere in the range of about $1,500 over a 3-year contract for service. A sales associate will see maybe $10-$15 in money from that (before taxes), and that is only if there is a bonus 'spiff' paid out to cell phone activations by the company (companies like Wal-Mart, who are getting into Rogers this year, aren't even paying that out). I can make more money selling a laptop or a even a dozen cordless phone batteries than I will ever make in the same amount of time as a cell phone, with a lot less hassle and annoyance. Forgive me if I don't feel peachy about doing all the work and seeing diddly-squat for it.

To answe another one of your questions, Rogers does indeed train their sales associates with constant and always updating in-class seminars, web courses and mystery shopping checks on all of its employees, however, these do not always guarantee 100% accurracy 100% of the time. Rogers' online activation site that we use even has a "first bill estimate" that we can print off and give to the customer (although it only pops up after the activation is completed). On it you will find a pro-rated month, the next month, an activation fee, the system access fees, any addition charges (long distance, txt msging and data) and any sort of deposit you chose to have added to the bill, as well as any discounts being subtracted. I am honestly unsure if this practice is in use by Fido, and if it is if they provide it to the customer.

As for the need of a sales associate, they are merely there to provide the product and attempt to provide clarification. To companies, they would be more than happy if all orders could be done with only the website and telephone processors as methods of ordering; think of the overhead cost being saved. The role of any good store (and this is straight from my management training handbook) is that "[a] good store should function by itself, without sales associates. Product should be plentiful, available and easy to access and demonstrate, without the use of sales people to meet these goals." This is much in the way that Wal-Mart, or even Future Shop operates (and frankly, it's better if you don't talk to their sales associates).

The thing about retail I have learned is that there is indeed a lot of trust involved. As you said, "[c]an I trust anything you say?" and while I am by no means trying to discourage you, you have to realize that there is a huge amount of trust that goes into every retail operation, and that you partake in it on a daily basis. Every sign, every ad, every package makes claims that you choose to trust, just as every sales associates makes similar claims as well. I speak honestly; if a product is carried by my company sucks, I have no problems telling the customer so. I have heard everything in response, from "I appreciate your honesty" to "That's not very professional, I'm leaving" (the latter always very confusing, as if I should lie or something). It really is up to you to make the final decision; before signing up on anything, I always do as much research as possible - I read reviews (and there's lots from cell providers), check specs and price shop around. I see what my friends and family have and what they like, and I ask the sales associate what s/he uses and trusts, as well as those they work with. Trust is one thing, but it is so much more powerful when combined with good customer savvy and experience; with it, we all can learn and get better.

To finalize my long winded reply, I really am sorry that you had a bad experience. Being in the retail sector myself, being management and seeing (and experiencing) crappy service is not something that I wish upon anyone. Often there is a cycle of roundabout that makes you so furious you give up in frustration. But there is a responsibility to be met on both ends; proper retail experiences come when the salesperson and the customer meet in the middle and they are willing to become an active participant in the transaction; I have always found these customers to be among the most easy to deal with, most satisfied ones out there. They are my repeat, loyal customers who mutual respect and real friendliness derives from. I am glad you are happy with Telus - there are many people who aren't - but in the end, it is your decision, and I am glad you we able to find a provider willing to meet your needs. Hopefully you are willing to give Rogers another chance; I personally find them to be a notch above Fido, even though they are owned by one in the same.

Hopefully this clarified things a bit. I apologize if I came off as snarcky in my previous post; I have just been privvy to far to many customers lying and fabricating beliefs in an attempt to rip off my company. I am apperciative that you are willing to admit you should have read the contract - you are far more dignant than a lot of customers.

Gord (snowles)

P.S. Telus can also lie as well. They are notorious, along with Bell, for saying that their service works everywhere in Canada. Guess where is doesn't work, even though the customer asks them point blank? Thunder Bay, population 125,000, privately owned by TBaytel and whose surrounding area uses an older TDMA technology. Most of the phones are usable, but they are paying long distance for each and every call (incoming and outgoing) because they are outside their home calling area and cannot get a local phone number. Every fall I personally deal with at least 30 of these people who come to Lakehead University or Confederation College from out of town, pissed that their brand new phone is a brand new $1,500 paperweight for eight months of the year.