Review for Sony Ericsson W800i

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
I know it's been so long, sorry CC members, I was so busy and fianlly got the time to type something...

So Enjoy.

This Sony Ericsson W800i, it's a extremely good phone. Walkman style software, stereo headet, 512MB memory stick duo pro.. wow!

Reminder : I'm using an Manufacturer unlocked, unbranded Sony Ericsson W800i. The phone comes with the CD-ROM Sony CD2phone software, stereo headset, headset adaptor, 512MB Memory Stick Duo Pro, Memory Stick adaptor, USB cable, battery and a travel charger. Please note, I was using the ROKR E1 for a while, so most of my comparison will be based on that model.

I'll be very honest to you, W800i beats ROKR E1 far away!

Reception : Although W800i is not 850mhz, but it still offer me an out standing RF performance. I have to admit that the reception is uncomparable with 850mhz, but the dead spot I got on the phone is very little.

Sound Quality ( Ear Piece ) : W800i is clear and great, but if I need to compare to Motorola, sorry, Motorola is slighly louder. What I'm suprised is, even the phone has only one bar of reception signal, the calls still carry as clear as it was full reception!

Sound Quality ( Speaker Phone ) : Have you ever try to carry with you a HIFI on the go? No?? Try W800i or W600i, their speakers are crazily loud and smooth, I always thought ROKR E1 is good.. but W800i and W600i is just way better. Even you put it to the MAX volume, the sound will not be "staticky".

Sound Quality ( stereo headset ) : This is what I need to say, it comes with an adaptor, the adaptor is to be used as antenna for the radio, answer calls, and also to put different headsets. But the one that comes with it's already the best. Those are selling $80 at Sony House! You can't go wrong with it! It also comes with different plugs to fit different size of ears!

Features : Features wise, it's the best out of the bucket. 2MP camera with full camera functions (panaroma mode, frame, autofucus and go on), MP3 player with walkman style software, Radio with RDS mode, which means it will also gives you the name of the station you're listening. Bluetooth is also one of the thing that I must say, I don't know why, but I always find that SonyEricsson's bluetooth are faster than any others one. Other stuff like JAVA app, well you can have plenty of cool games on it! I have BomberMan on mine! hehe

Camera : 2MP clear and nice, I've tried to take several shots in a club which is dark as hell, but with the nightmode, autofocus, and flashlight, you don't need to worry at all! It is just like a camera!

Software : That's the PUNCH point! No matter if you are loading MP3 or not, the software never fails on your hand. Always smooth and fast. It has never crashed on my heavy usage. Here is something that I would like to comment : With all Sony Ericsson phones, you can update the software by your ownself. All you need is, Internet, USB cable and that's it! Which is way better than any others manufacturers. It is still possible to have some bugs on new phones. Mine had some bugs, but I updated to the recent software and guess what, everything is fixed! First you need to get onto the internet to download the software. Once you've installed the software to your PC, you'll just need to connect to the server. Then it will show you step by step how to update software. The instruction is like for dummies hehe, it also has flash to show you how to plug the cable. This is very good! So I don't need to ship my phone to Sony Ericsson for X amount of weeks just to update the software! Way to go Sony Ericsson!!

MP3 player / Walkman : Well it's pretty much simple. Press on the Walkman key in the middle, select your song and you're done! It's more or less similar to i-Tunes/i-Pod, different folder, different album and stuff. But it's way better than the i-Tunes phones!

Keypad : Not going to say it's bad, not going to say it's the best. Just okay, fairly dedicated and easy to press. I don't know why, but I like the camera button. It will flashly light up white on the side so I won't need to find the button when taking pictures in dark places.

Bluetooth : Like I've said, nothing is better than the ones from SonyEricsson!

What I like about the W800i : Almost everything! MP3 player, Speaker phones, features, Software UI, Camera functions, you name it!

What I don't like about the W800i : if it only has 850mhz~....

Overall : It is a great phone for its price, Canadian market prices goes from $475 to $575 for a brand new unit! But put it mind, it comes with 512MB memory stick duo ($69+), cable($50+), and headset($80+). Also whatever it has in it, it's really great!

Well.. W800i doesn't have 850mhz.... but W810i does... coming in Q2 2006 :D

I'm at work right now, I'll try to get you guys some pictures sample later on!

Review by : kalok
Date : 18th of January2006