Cellphone Newbie / Need your Help and Advice!

gocanucksgo

Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver
Hello everyone,

Im planning to buy a cellphone but im too sure which one to get... i've never had a cellphone before nor have an interest on getting one before until now of course so needless to say i am clueless :) so i need your help/advice etc..

I want a cellphone that has camera,video and audio support... Flip phones preffered but doesnt really matter... also i keep reading about this "Bluetooth" do i really need this on a cellphone?

I have a budget of $800 CAD, im guessing this will be more than enough (i hope) Im located in Vancouver, BC if that helps as well...

Let me know if you need to know anthing else!

Thanks for reading, any help will be appreciated!

gocanucksgo

Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver
RE: Cellphone Newbie / Ne

Do you want to get on a contract or no?
what will be the advantages of being in a contract? i looked at some cellphone providers (rogers, telus, fido etc.) and see that you pay less but it seems like you're stuck with your cellphone for the length of your contract...? is that right?

Would you want to buy a phone from the Canadian market or overseas market?

i dont think it really matters to me... (would it?) there maybe a phone that i might liked that's not available here in Canada but will they actually work here if i bought them overseas?

thanks for the reply

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Well signing a contract won't get you stuck with the same phone if you're willing to pay for other phones, it's fine.

But if you're planning to change most of the time, get yourself Rogers or Fido. GSM liberty!

kalok~

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

Yep if your willing to put down 800 $ for a phone might as well get an import, a lot more features and your unique from everyone else who has a razr.

keep in mind that some of the monthly plan promotions require a contract to get the bonuses.

We need a bit more info before giving our suggestions:
what features are important to you? ANy specific brands you interested in, I myself prefer flipphones and ive used many imports so feel free to pm me.

in terms fo rate plans you gotta tell us your usage

gocanucksgo

Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver

well im thinking of getting this phone (see link below)

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_d600-1103.php

i guess i need to buy this online as i dont see this in any Canadian Carrier... does anyone know a good place to get this phone, i have two link so far...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1638068&Sku=L422-0114
http://myworldphone.com/samsungd600.html

the only thing im worried about is will it work with Rogers network? if it does, how will be i going with activating, making this phone work etc. etc. (like i said im very clueless)

thanks for the help so far, you guys are great!

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

the D600 and its older brother the D500 are amazing units but not offered by fidgers, you cna by them unlocked at most internet sites though i would suggest easycell.ca or bongo wireless.

avoid tiger direct like the plague, so many warranty lemon issues with them.

check your PM

quicksilver1024

Dec 31, 2005
hi guys
i just registered

i have a question...
i have been looking at the nokia N90 phone and I absolutely love it..(despite its crazy price tag)..however, today i went to my friend's dad's cell phone shop and asked him about it and he said because i live in Toronto I should go for a phone that supports the 850 band for better signal

i really want the N90, but i wouldnt get it if it doesnt work! (because of the poor coverage due to the band)

the N90 doesnt have the 850 band....and im wondering if the phone will still work in toronto and if the coverage will be large enough for it to work properly

also, if the n90 isnt the right choice...which cell do you think i should go for?
my requirements are pretty similar to the guy that created this thread...i want a good phone with decent camera that takes pics and video and has many smart phone features plus a good screen

thanx for any input/recommendations

quicksilver1024

Dec 31, 2005
nevermind
the cell phone will work fine since the bands it supports is exactly the same bands as my current cell phone.

=D