Cell phone upgrade time

ddsource

Nov 16, 2005
Hi,
I am up for a hardware upgrade and i need it desperately as i am currently using a motorola v60tic with Rogers in Toronto and the phone is using the old TDMA service, therefore there are a lot of places that i dont get reception. Plus i recently had to crazy glue my antenna back in b/c it fell off. :S
Anyways, as i look for a new phone, i was interested in the Motorola v635i. It just seems like you get the most with this phone. Problem is that its too expensive. I am only willing to sign for 2 yrs, not 3. Is there anyone in Toronto who knows where/what dealer i can go to get this phone on a 2yr contract for about $50-100? I am currently on a corporate plan paying $26/mnth with a lot of features and do not wish to change my plan.

Thanks,
d_source

ddsource

Nov 16, 2005
Hi kalok.
So theres no real need within a phoen for me. the only reason i liked the v635i is b/c of all the features it has compared to other phones. EG. better camera, mp3 player, comes with a large memory card + USB cables.

My only concern is coverage. I do a lot of driving from TO to windsor so it must have good coverage along the 401, in the city (TO), and in vaughan (woodbrdioge mainly). I also like vibrate alert (and silent) b/c i never shut off my phone.

What did u have in mind?

Thanks a lot.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
Re: RE: Cell phone upgrade time

ddsource said:
I do a lot of driving from TO to windsor so it must have good coverage along the 401, in the city (TO), and in vaughan (woodbrdioge mainly).

Ive taken the 401 up to the tricity kichtener-waterloo-london exit and its had amazing coverage on my V551. Woodbridge is also really good(had amazing coverage all the way to the wonderland on the 400)

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Re: RE: Cell phone upgrade time

nitzomoe said:
ddsource said:
I do a lot of driving from TO to windsor so it must have good coverage along the 401, in the city (TO), and in vaughan (woodbrdioge mainly).

Ive taken the 401 up to the tricity kichtener-waterloo-london exit and its had amazing coverage on my V551. Woodbridge is also really good(had amazing coverage all the way to the wonderland on the 400)

Wonderful proof!!
So are you still worrying? :D

kalok~

ddsource

Nov 16, 2005
OK, thats good to know if i decide to go witht he v551. Anyone using the v635i go through those areas?

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
V551 is similar phone with V635, just upgraded the software a bit, better camera and external color display.

Reception wise, they're both the same. Both phones are quad-band 850/900/1800/1900mhz.

Like i've said, with any phone that has 850/1900, you don't need to worry.

kalok~

Rem25

Dec 3, 2005
I just joined this site, looking for some help......

I'm also looking to upgrade my phone. I currently have a Motorola V300, and I'm on a 2 year corporate plan through Rogers which expires next June. I was informed that I'm able to upgrade after 18 months. I was looking to upgrade to the Razr on a 2 year contract but because of the cost of the phone, $149.99 up front, plus the $35 admin fee plus taxes, I'm really considering just buying an unlocked phone and spending the extra money, at least I will get some extra accessories with the phone, such as a case, headset and in some cases software.

The service that I've received from Rogers has been really poor. Despite having two other services with them and being a customer with them for many years, they still don't want to waive the $35 admin fee. I've already spoken with customer service on a number of occasions and they aren't willing to budge.

I was wondering if I should just suck it up and pay the money to Rogers to upgrade or is it worth just buying an unlocked phone?

As well, is the Razr really worth it? Or should I go with the Nokia 6820 or just wait until better phones come out?

If anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it!

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Put it this way, you might not saving a lot of money on the hardware, but for sure you're saving a bunch of money in your plan.

What if they offer you the razr for $0, but you'll be forced to upgrade your plan to $50 a month? I'm sure you don't want that. Basically, you're saving in the long run.

I don't understand why ppl are saying Rogers has bad services. I mean, if you look at Telus and Bell, they might offer you 3 models from their line up.

I understand that Rogers might not doing everything like the way you want it to be. But hey, that's life, you're paying for you what you get.

Again, I'm not saying this because I work Rogers, this comment is only my own personal opinion, it has absolutely no intention to protect nor attact any others providers.

Worse case senario, try contacting the retention department.

my $0.02

kalok~

Rem25

Dec 3, 2005
I'm sorry, I don't mean to knock Rogers as a whole, I mean we're happy with the internet service they provide and the digital cable but it's just been, in my experience only, that I've had a problem with their customer service as far as wireless goes.

I mean when you have someone giving you attitude, that's not a good way to conduct business. I know every company is not perfect, but there has to be some common courtesy somewhere. I use to deal with people on a daily basis and I know that if I ever gave anyone attitude, I would be fired.

I'm not looking to get the Razr for $0, and by all means I'm not looking to pay $50 for it, but it would be nice to be offered the same price as a new customer, especially considering if you have other services with Rogers and you've been a customer with them for so long.

I'm definitely not trying to knock you or anything, I'm sure you're an awesome employee, but I've just had bad experiences with them......

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
But the price that they gave is the same price for new customer.

$149.99 on 2 yrs
$99.99 on 3 yrs

And yes, new customer will have to pay $35 for activation fee.

kalok~

Rem25

Dec 3, 2005
Really? Maybe it differs if you start up a corporate contract as oppose to a regular contract?

Through work I know there's a posting where the $35 activation fee is waived if you start up a new corporate contract through Rogers...

Either way it's all good, I will end up upgrading with them because I am happy with my plan overall, just figuring out at the moment what phone would give me the most for my money.....

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Rem25 said:
Really? Maybe it differs if you start up a corporate contract as oppose to a regular contract?

Through work I know there's a posting where the $35 activation fee is waived if you start up a new corporate contract through Rogers...

Either way it's all good, I will end up upgrading with them because I am happy with my plan overall, just figuring out at the moment what phone would give me the most for my money.....

Independent dealers can sell their phones at whatever price they want to new Customer. That's mean the store is making less money.

Either way, new customer will have get a new plan and normaly old plans are always better than the new ones. That's mean you're saving in a long run.

kalok~

Rem25

Dec 3, 2005
RE: Cell phone upgrade ti

Thanks for the info Kalok!

BTW, is a Razr a good buy in your opinion?

Rem25

Dec 3, 2005

yeah i know it's mostly a fashion phone,I have a V300 right now and I'm thinking it's probably not all that different features wise, maybe a few additional ones...the people I've talked with who own the phone say they haven't had any problems with it, the Razr that is, but I'm still debating between that, the Nokia 6820 and the Sony Ericsson Z520a....

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
forget about the 6820 is a piece of #$@#$%

V3 VS V300
You'll get more...
-bluetooth
-262k color screen instead of 65k
-external color screen
-Video capture (with the new batch of V3)
-Quad-band instead of tri-band (if you don't travel with phone, it's useless)

As for the Z520a... it's a great looking phone and it's more recent. V3 is like the only phone that i'm selling right now, obviously, later on, you'll see the V3 everywhere.

It's totally up to you, for myself, i prefer SonyEricsson's UI. They're faster, and way better.

kalok~

Rem25

Dec 3, 2005

Thanks again for your suggestions Kalok!

I'm still researching, so you like the Sony Ericsson's UI? Hmm I'll have to do a little more investigating, personally the best phone I have ever had was an Ericsson (this was before Sony bought them) and that's why I was looking at the Z520a.

I'm so fickle, I guess I just want to take my time and really weigh out the options out there, cuz if I'm going to spend the money, I really want to spend it on something that's worthwhile and will give me (sorry for the cliche) most for my money