Buying a new cell phone question

ddsource

Nov 16, 2005
Hello Everyone. n00bie here with a n00bie question on cell phones. I am up for an phone upgrade (I am with Rogers in Toronto). I have been looking for cell phones and i notice that a lot of people buy phones without buying a 1, 2 or 3 yr deal, which means you would pay full pop, like 300-400 for a new phone. Why do people do that, how do they end up saving money in the end, i dont get it. They would have to go on a rogers, bell or whoever plan anyways, so why not sign a contract and get the phone at a discount?

Thanks,
d_source

Blueberry

Oct 19, 2005
I bought my phone right out because it is a better savings in the long run. I am on the Pay-As-You-Go plan and it only costs me $10 per month. I hardly use my cell phone so $10 is more than enough air time for me. I paid $150 for my phone. After 3 years, I would only have paid $510 all together ($150 phone + $360 plan). But if I had bought the same phone with a 3 yr contract, after 3 years, I would've paid $770 ($50 phone + $20/mo.x36mo = $720). So I will save $260 + whatever tax I have to pay on that and that's why I paid full price for my phone.

Sometimes depending on the promotion, paying full price for the phone isn't bad. I bought the Motorola v551 Much Music Edition a few weeks ago and it's only $150. But there is also a non-MuchMusic version of the exact same phone that's selling for $350. If you still looking for a phone, I believe Rogers still has a similar promotion on. If you buy online (which I strongly recommend b/c I've had problems with my local store), you can save an additional $10.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Re: RE: Buying a new cell phone question

Blueberry said:
Sometimes depending on the promotion, paying full price for the phone isn't bad. I bought the Motorola v551 Much Music Edition a few weeks ago and it's only $150. But there is also a non-MuchMusic version of the exact same phone that's selling for $350. If you still looking for a phone, I believe Rogers still has a similar promotion on. If you buy online (which I strongly recommend b/c I've had problems with my local store), you can save an additional $10.

Well, if you get a well-informed consultant, like me, you won't have problem at all. I promised! :D :D :D

kalok~

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
ddsource said:
Hello Everyone. n00bie here with a n00bie question on cell phones. I am up for an phone upgrade (I am with Rogers in Toronto). I have been looking for cell phones and i notice that a lot of people buy phones without buying a 1, 2 or 3 yr deal, which means you would pay full pop, like 300-400 for a new phone. Why do people do that, how do they end up saving money in the end, i dont get it. They would have to go on a rogers, bell or whoever plan anyways, so why not sign a contract and get the phone at a discount?

Thanks,
d_source

If your current plan fits your needs, you're better of to buy a phone under contract. I mean, if you're planning to use the same phone# for more than 2 years or so, take the contract and get the phone on a discounted price. If you use your phone rarely, IE : Prepaid/Pay as you go, then yea, buy your phone out right and no hassel afterwards.

kalok~

ddsource

Nov 16, 2005
I use my phone enough not to go pay as you go. I also need to keep my number b/c i also use it as a work line sometimes.