New and With a Question

carissa

Oct 14, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hi there... I'm new to the forums, but a month ago I visited here and read the reports you had about the various service providers to choose who to go with for my new cell phone.

I decided to go with Telus. And 2 LG 125 phones (green for myself, white for hubby).

Anyhow, my question is what is the difference between text messaging, SMS, and IM on the phone?

Also is there any way I can block a specific phone # from calling me? Either through a service or an option built into the phone. My mother has decided that now that I have a cell phone she can call me and my hubby every 5 mins or text me about 5 texts in a row a couple of times per day. *sigh*

Thanks in advance for your advice and assistance,

Carissa (Cari for short ;))

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Text messaging is SMS (Short Message Service).
IM is Istant Message, basically, based on AOL, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, ETC. I don't know about Telus, but it should be the same as SMS or differently as it could count as a third party service. Contact Telus to be sure.

The only way to block one number is.... no way.. well get call display option, whenever that "someone" calls you, just reject the call.

kalok~

carissa

Oct 14, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: RE: New and With a Question

Okay, just to set myself up here (probably to look stupid but oh well, lol) - I am well versed in computers; I've just avoided getting a cell phone for as long as possible. Always felt I wouldn't want to be contacted anytime, anywhere. Now I just ignore unwanted calls or turn the phone off. :)

Anyhow, to futher expand my question on SMS then. A few of my friends show the SMS symbol on their IM aliases. You send a message like it would normally go to their computer and it goes to their cell phone. Is this then a setting handled by the IM? Is there generally any charge to do this? How does this work - technically, from IM to cell lines to the phone?

kalok said:
The only way to block one number is.... no way.. well get call display option, whenever that "someone" calls you, just reject the call.

Yes, I quickly discovered the joy of Call Display and setting a specific ringer tone to my mother that no other contacts use. :D I was just wondering by asking, if there was an option either service or phone setting to block someone. So I guess you answered that question, thanks.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
There's different to use IM from your phone. Either your phone already has the IM installed (JAVA) or by SMS. You'll need to set it up via your IM program online first in order to use it by SMS.

kalok~