automated customer service, good/bad?

are IVRS a hinderance to customer service or a benefit?

• Total voters

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
All canadian wireless services now offer automated wireless services using voice recognition software to "help" clients solve problems faster. SO far I have tried both telus/rogers and both are a complete waste of time. IN practically every instance it has to transfer to a customer service rep anywayz and one wastes around 2 minutes average and up to 7 minutes trying to get to the right customer service agent, only to be transferred afterwards. It truly is a travesty of the word customer service to have clients wasting precious time trying to recieve said service. What do you guys think?

Also the voices for these services can be quite annoying, although the telus girl got my attention :wink:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: automated customer se

It is annoying. Especially with Bell Mobility. grrrrrr

Not to mention Shaw and Telus aggrivate the hell out of me to and many governement and bank numbers as well. I think at times this "automation" has really spiraled out of control. Very aggrevating at times. But I guess it is cheaper than having a person answer the phone.

I do find myself at times yelling and swearing into phone at "computer voice". ha ha :)

Oh, I see that maybe I am not talking about the same thing?

harryc

Aug 18, 2007
I dun like it ! I dun think it save the users any time and I felt like the whole purpose is to hold you so long so that you'll give up at the end .....

Found this recently, iHateBadService.ca, great site to share complaints and bad services ...

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
All the automated help services suck! Especially one well known Swedish furniture co. site[was told I'd have to hold for ten minutes..turned out to last 53 min.30 sec.]:angryfire:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Since I moved to another address - I have committed the ultimate sin according to all the utility companies I invest in on a monthly basis ..... I changed my address.

I have spent countless hours waiting for the electronic wondermenu to finally spin to the point where I get to scream "Let me talk to a human".... and when the bored voice comes on the line I question if they are bots or the real thing....

It does allow me however to vent all the new words I keep hearing in our current language of anger - which we don't write out here or speak in a social setting....the recorded message doesn't have a brain and it makes me feel quite free and strong to say some of them out loud.... hehe

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It cost me 42 dollars in shipping & handling to get the one 10 dollar chair back I needed a replacement for...but after all that time holding onto the damn phone,there was no way out but to get it.:angryfire: