How can I get Telus to stop ripping me off?

kat12

Jul 26, 2005
Hi, does anyone know how I can get Telus Mobility to stop ripping me off? Two years ago I signed up for a 3 year contract and a 'free' phone (Sony Ericsson). Right from the start there were problems. My messages went to some guy I don't know...although many of my friends 'met' him trying to leave me messages. It wouldn't hold it's charge. I brought it back right away and all the service people did was take out my battery and then put it right back in. They said the battery just wasn't in right. This did not help. Then, last August, the phone stopped working altogether. I tried to get the problem resolved but couldn't. I paid for a phone that didn't work for months. In April I went to the Telus repair center and found out why my phone doesn't work. It's called an ALTEL roaming issue, in Sault Ste. Marie. I was told that the phone is locked on analog, unable to see digital, and that Telus is unable to upgrade PRL. I was told this phone can't be fixed. Telus knew about this problem and kept billing me. I pay $44.00/month for a phone that doesn't work. A guy at Loyalty and Retention was very rude to me when the local dealer called him. The only 'resolution' I was offered was a 'free' phone IF I signed for ANOTHER 3 year contract. Yeah right! They must think I"m an idiot! Since I didn't go for that, they told me I had to keep paying the monthly fees until the contract is up (June 3rd, 2006). Or, I could buy out my contract (for the same amount as it would cost to pay it until it was done). I was very sick in April, with severe asthma and pneumonia. I could barely speak when I went in, and tried to explain that I needed a phone that worked for health reasons. They didn't care. I called customer care when I got home, and said I wasn't going to pay for a phone that doesn't work and can't be fixed. They said they would wreck my credit rating. So I paid. And I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I also called my lawyer, and she said to write a letter to Telus declaring my contract null and void due to their breach of contract. I emailed them and didn't hear from them. Well, I missed a payment and they called my BELL phone (because the telus phone doesn't work) and said they were going to cut off my service. Considering I didn't have any service at all, it didnt' seem like a threat. I missed another payment and then put $50.00 down hoping the BBB would have helped by now. They haven't responded yet, other than saying 'we received your complaint, thank you'. Telus has a collection agency after me now, because I owe them $129.00. I just can't continue to pay for a phone that doesn't work. I only got the phone for my poor health, and it's never been a help. I can't use it at all. I am so frustrated. I'm sorry this is so long, but I just don't know what to do anymore. The company 's not very ethical, that's all I can say. I thought theft was against the law, but they're stealing from me AND they're trying to wreck my credit rating. They are corporate bullies.
Well, if anyone knows what I can do, please tell me. Back in April I would have been happy to just be out of a contract and I would have considered the 2 years of paying for a phone that rarely and then never worked a loss. Now I"m angry and I want my money back.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Kat

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: How can I get Telus t

i would suggest writing to a big newspaper like the toronto star about your situation, that gets to a companys image real quick.In 2003 there was an article written about a similar issue that a lady had had with her business and how rogers was charging all the money to collection even though she was recovering from a serious medical problem. The day after the report was published rogers called her up and took care of everything, compensating her for all the problems they had caused.

Dont get ur hopes too high, u need to find a journalist willing to publish such a thing and its difficult to get anybody to listen, but its a suggestion.

kat12

Jul 26, 2005
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I wrote to the Director of Communications at the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA), and he forwarded my letter to the executives at Telus for resolution. I'm hoping that will help. If not, I'll write an article myself. I've been published a few times...I can at least write a letter to an editor.
Take care,
Kat

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: How can I get Telus t

Reread the terms of your contract with telus. See if anywhere it states that you are liable for repairs to your phone during the contract and what guarantee your phone has.

You should be liable. Our company has multiple phones and the guys drop them all the time. Or fry them. Telus replaces them no charge....no extension on the contract. no complaints.