An Open Letter to Bell Mobility

bill.woodhead

Jul 7, 2005
To: Michael J. Sabia President and CEO Bell Canada Enterprises
1000, de la Gauchetière West, suite 3700
Montréal, Québec
Canada, H3B 4Y7
CC: William D. Anderson, Mark R. Bruneau, Peter Daniel, Léo W. Houle, Lawson A.W. Hunter, Stephen G. Wetmore, Pierre J. Blouin, Isabelle Courville, Kevin W. Crull, Ron Close, Terry Mosey, Robert Odendaal, Patrick Pichette

Subject: An extremely disappointed Bell Mobility Customer _____________________________________________________________

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my letter. This is my last resort. After numerous phone calls to your Customer Service call centre I have no other option but to plead my case to Bell’s President and CEO and his executive team.
I was originally a Telus Mobility Customer and when my contract was ending I decided sign up with Bell. It turns out I was a much more satisfied customer with Telus.

I will provide a summary of the issues I’ve encountered since becoming a Bell Mobility Client:

· Billing: The first bill I received was 7 months after my contract began.
o I realize that Bell had some issues with their billing system last year but after those issues were resolved I still was not receiving my monthly statements.
o I called the Customer Service call centre on numerous occasions after repeating my address numerous times I was told that there must be an issue with my mail as Bell had the right address and was sending my statements.
o After a few more months and still no monthly statements I called once again. I was again told that there must be an issue with my mail even though I was receiving mail from other institutions.
o Finally after over 7 phone calls to the Customer Service call centre a representative named Tom finally double checked the address and confirmed that it had actually been entered incorrectly in the billing system.

· Phone Problems: The Kyocera Slider I purchased (for over $200) continues to cause me problems.
o Even after charging my phone for 8 hours the phone will turn off due to no battery even after making only one phone call.
o The buttons on my phone do not work. It is extremely frustrating when trying to dial certain buttons on my phone and being unable to.
o My phone will turn off without warning and yesterday my phone turned itself off and would not turn back on.
o I realize that these are all issues with the manufacturer but I expect my cell phone provider to only sell phones that are of the best quality. I don’t expect manufacturer related issues to be so difficult to resolve.

· Level of Service: Bell customer representatives have provided me with unacceptable service.
o As noted above an error was made by an agent in the Bell Call Centre regarding my address and it took over 7 phone calls from me to get this corrected.
o When I originally phoned to report the issues I was experiencing with my phone (about 5 months into my Bell Contract) I was told that I could send the phone in to the manufacturer and pay a $25 replacement phone fee. After questioning the reason behind charging a client to temporarily replace a phone that is still under warranty I was told that no one in the company could do anything about that. A supervisor eventually agreed to waive the fee once I threatened to terminate my contract with Bell.
o Today after my phone completely stopped working I called the Bell Customer Service call centre and asked if I should just wait another 2 weeks to reach my one year requirement and get the free replacement phone offered by Bell. This service has been mentioned numerous times while talking to Bell Representatives. I was informed that this policy had changed and now the replacement phone was only offered after 18 months. Although I received no warning about this change I was told that Bell reserves the right to change this policy even though representatives I talked to in February and March had encouraged me to wait for the replacement phone offer. Apparently this policy has changed since last December. I have since learnt that this policy has once again changed to 24 months.
o I was also informed today that although a supervisor had originally waived my replacement fee charge that this was no longer going to be honored. I spoke to Jessica (phone code JCO) and her supervisor Monique (phone code MIQ). Monique informed me that she could cancel any offers another agent or supervisor had granted me and that I would now have to pay the $25 fee. I had to talk to a Manager to get this fee waived.
o After summarizing all my experiences with Bell I informed Supervisor Monique that I was interested in terminating my contract with Bell. Bell Mobility have certainly not upheld the level of service I expect. Monique informed me that I could cancel my contract for a charge of $199 and made no attempt to keep me as a Bell customer. She informed me that she would not do anything to ease my situation and that it didn’t affect her at all whether I was a Bell Customer or not.

As you can see my experiences thus far as a Bell Mobility Customer have been far below satisfactory. I was forced to take action as I’m extremely frustrated as a customer and feel that unless my experiences improve I will be forced to take my case to the Better Business Bureau. Nothing is being done to retrain my confidence in Bell Mobility as a Cell Phone Provider or as an Organization. On the Bell corporate website the first Strategy mentioned is to “Deliver an enhanced customer experience with the objective of enabling a significantly lower cost structure at Bell Canada.” My issues with billing, phone quality, and especially the level of service certainly don’t make me feel like a valued customer or as though I have had any enhanced customer experiences.

The cell phone provider industry is filled with competitive options and as a customer with so many options I do not understand why Bell does not do everything in its power to ensure that customer’s receive a great experience. This ensures that they continue to be Bell customer’s upon completion of their contract and by word of mouth inform their friends of Bell’s exceptional service.

I was not surprised to discover that of the 25 Bell Customers that work in my office all 25 of them have had horrible experiences and plan to sign on with a different provider as soon as their contract terminates. Obviously it will not come as a surprise that I also plan to look for another provider as soon as my contract terminates. Any relative, colleague, or friend of mine that is also looking will be informed of my extremely disappointing experience at Bell. You might know this but most people ask their colleagues and friends how they are enjoying their cell phone service before joining with a service provider. I will not be recommending Bell Mobility to anyone unless my experience changes dramatically.

I’m sorry for the length of this letter but I wanted to give you a complete picture of my experience at Bell after only 11 months into my contract. I realize as the CEO of Bell you do not have control of small day to day operations, like ensuring customer satisfaction, but I have been left with no other option. I estimate that I have spent well over 10 hours on hold or talking to a Bell Customer Service representative.

As mentioned above I have yet to receive a satisfactory customer experience through your Customer Service call centre. Although promised numerous times, I have never received a call from anyone to help me with my issues. I hope that you can look into this matter and let me know if there is anything that can be done to change my Bell experience.

Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to hearing from a Bell Representative.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Hey Bill put my name on that letter too :wink: I'm on the backside of my contract with Bell and will say see ya as soon as possible they are the worst cell phone service in Canada and I'm sure they are ripping off customers all the time :x

icklemiss21

Jan 16, 2005
Burlington, ON
I just got away with a $99 (per phone with 11 phones - ouch) cancellation fee with 2 years left on the contract... we went with Telus and have a local rep who will come to our office and replace things / fix things etc (for now at least).

dsing

Sep 15, 2005
Vancouver
I am currently in the exact same situation. I too have the slider and have had nothing but problems with it. It currently does not work (no reception at all), and I've sent it in for service for about the 5-6th time. I delt with maybe about 8-10 different agents and they all given me the same excuse. "We can't do anything for you nor make you any exceptions. You have the option of cancelling your service..." I'm very disapointed with the level of service and I've just about had it with Bell...

Dave

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Seems there are 11 Bell Mobility complaints logged with the BBB.

It is always a good idea to check out the BBB site before investing in a cell phone.

If I had the experience you did, I would first make a personal appearance at the customer service office and demand a refund and cancellation of my contract. If that doesn't work, would surely lodge a complaint with the BBB.

You need to remind them that you are the customer and they are there to serve you, not the other way around.

alithina

Sep 15, 2005
I agree with you, i was with Bell and i cancelled my phone and didn't pay the fee since i had for that amount of problem...my sister has problem too and they wont change the phone (it turn itself on and off all the time) they change her battery 3 times (she has it for almost 8 months now) and they don't want to gave her a new phone so she's gonna make a complaint to the consumer protection to try to have it fix cause she has over a year to go with them

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: An Open Letter to Bel

making a complaint with bbb doesnt really resolve anyhing, bell mobility has horrible customer service and is not an ethical company, everyone should refer their friends/family to other providers before they go through Hell's idea of customer service

YloPony

Oct 20, 2005
We made a complaint with Bell Mobility - actually it was 'The Telephonebooth' at Devonshire Mall (Windsor, Ont.)'s fault. They told us we could talk free between the three 'family plan' phones we signed up for. When on vacation we were getting a message that long distance charges applied. The Telephonebooth regional manager (what a goof ball!!!) told us to settle the complaint with Bell Mobility since it was their plan. Bell service reps kept passing the buck to the next service rep until one lady said they'd cancel the contract. After a week we noticed we were stilled being billed so we called and a service rep said that the phones had been canceled and that it would be $1300.00 for canceling the service plan. After a numerous more calls we finally talked to some who was genuinely concerned and clearded the whole matter up. She canceled the conract and had a corier truck come and pick up the phones at no charge.

The old saying is that the squeeky wheel gets the grease but it's a pain in the butt having to spend countless hours with reps trying to get an issue settled!

Oh.... and when I talked to one of the Bell reps he told me that they gets many complaints about the Telephonebooth store stating that customers expect Bell to clear up the problems the Telephonebooth starts. I'd never ever recommend The Telephonebooth because the employees, store manager and regional manager are incredibly rude! The regional manager even told me to use the phones as paper weights!

Sashaa

Nov 1, 2005
I just posted in another thread about my experiences with Bell Mobility.
I won't post it in its entirety again, but want people to be aware of the abysmal service this company provides.
A letter to the BBB went out today from me regarding these people.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: An Open Letter to Bel

Testify!!! I fricking hate bell. Thank flipping God my contract ends this December. Forget the fact that i haven't been able to use my phone in 4 months, and everytime i try to take it in, i get the run around despite having warranty. And when i tried to change phones, i got the "oh, we changed our policy and you have to wait till this time"..than that time would come and "the policy" changed again. And when i got it, i couldnt use it near my place for bad reception. And the only place it worked in Las Vegas was if i stood on the toilet in the Imperial Palace.

Your letter was my entire experience and than some.

I would rather eat my arm than ever ever ever deal with Bell again.

Feb 22, 2007
Bell Canada, Biggest bully of Canada

Hi Guys,

I am just going through a lot of pain with bell, although not with their mobility department

I have posted my storey at

http://ridetomilliondollars.blogspot.com and wondering if you got any conclusion, did they come back to you?

Also Why cant we consumers get together and open a class action lawsuit, I am open to it and looking for people?

chaarger

Jun 3, 2007
The best way to ensure better services is to ensure that Industry Canada helps new market entrants into the Canadian Wireless space.

Next year Industry Canada will hold the Advanced Wireless Spectrum auction.
This is our last chance to get new competition.

Learn more at Telegopoly.com

michin

Dec 17, 2007
I am really tired of how this company cannot defend itself and its actions. As much as I would like to give this Canadian Icon my services, it is hard for me to continue my services with this company. Here are the reasons why:

- The billing is not trustworthy. There are unconsistant charges that does not allow me to pay this company. I do not trust this company taking my money because I feel like I'm being robbed at times. This causes so much confusion and fustration.
- The hidden charges and changes this company makes without notifying their customers. I don't care if it is in the fine print. If it does not satisfy me as a costumer, then it is the job of the service provided, Bell, to make the necessary changes to please the costumer.
- The poor quality of costumer service representatives. These representatives have put me on hold for long periods of time and they do no answer the questions that I want answered. They do not help in solving billing issues and it takes several calls and hours on the phone to solve simple issues. They do the run around, which is fustrating.
- The representatives pushing to sell strings attached services. Asking me to think it over and over again and pressuring me. I find this rude and annoying and it angers me that reps do not give up when the answer is 'no'

From this experience, I feel that Bell as a corporation is not existant to help provide useful services but to rip money off of their customers.

I feel that this company should take into great consideration that it is us who pay their bills and us CLIENTS who keep Bell running. I hope that Bell does not forget that it is the clients that make the business the not the business it self. Without us, there is no Bell. Therefore, it should be in their interest to help and provide the greatest possible service to us and not to please their multi-billion dollar buisness.
-

dooty

Oct 28, 2009
I have had it with Bell as well

I have nothing but problems with Bell, they are greedy people who will never get another penny from me.

I was charged $100.00 to cancel my internet because I was put into a 3 year contract, without ever getting notified. Been a member since 2003 and in 2007 Bell decided to put me into contract without ever telling me. When I called in Oct 2009 was told about the price to cancel because of the contract. I said I didn't agree to a contract, so she agreed then said we will have to charge you $335. What....and this was a manager!!!!! To cancel my phone they only charged me $26. because I didn't read the fine print on line which apparently states you have to give them 30 days notice.

This to me is fraud. How can a customer (long running) get put into a contract for internet and not be told about it. I paid $36.00 for DSL....the manager told me it was a deal regularly it is $54.00 that was the difference I would have been charged to cancel the internet if I didn't agree to the locked in.

Stay away from them....white collar criminals in my opinion.:angryfire:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have nothing but problems with Bell, they are greedy people who will never get another penny from me.

I was charged $100.00 to cancel my internet because I was put into a 3 year contract, without ever getting notified. Been a member since 2003 and in 2007 Bell decided to put me into contract without ever telling me. When I called in Oct 2009 was told about the price to cancel because of the contract. I said I didn't agree to a contract, so she agreed then said we will have to charge you $335. What....and this was a manager!!!!! To cancel my phone they only charged me $26. because I didn't read the fine print on line which apparently states you have to give them 30 days notice.

This to me is fraud. How can a customer (long running) get put into a contract for internet and not be told about it. I paid $36.00 for DSL....the manager told me it was a deal regularly it is $54.00 that was the difference I would have been charged to cancel the internet if I didn't agree to the locked in.

Read the small print? I also find it unlikely that you they signed you to a "contract" without your approval seeing as a contract requires agreement between your self and Mobility.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I and the rest of my family have used Bell forever and have never had a problem with them. You guys must just be unlucky.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I and the rest of my family have used Bell forever and have never had a problem with them. You guys must just be unlucky.
You like Bell? Bell ups your bill (Television)by little amounts constantly. I agree that the person with the 3 year contract must have signed something. If he is certain he didn't, he should then ask Bell to produce a copy of his signed agreement. If they cannot, he can go to Small Claims.
I called Bell regarding our move to a new residence. I believe I stated in another thread that I found out I was speaking to a person in Costa Rica. If Bell wants my business, they better employ Canadians, in Canada for one thing. We had less than 30 days notice that we were moving. Telus (even tho they work with Bell), offered a slightly better deal. I tried to get through to Bell to cancel our service. Getting through wasn't too bad, but once I got through to a person and told him what I wanted to do, he told me to bear with him and left me waiting and waiting. I finally hung up. Then I went on line. They tell you to insert your 16 digit account number. Mine is not a 16 digit number. I finally added enough zeroes to make it a 16 digit number and it let me through. I told them to cancel my account and asked where I should deliver their equipment to. They tell me that I must give 30 days notice before I cancel. How dumb! They might get me via a credit card the contract states they have on record but I was told today by another store that gov't has implemented legislation that states a company must not keep a record of your credit cards. If they have it, they are breaking the law. They might also have a number that is now non-existant. We thought my husband lost his card and cancelled it and he was given a new number. A couple of months later, we found the old card. I just cut it up and threw it out. I guess we'll see what happens.

kryptic

- gone insane -
Sep 24, 2009
Alberta

They did that to me as well... tell them to mail you a copy of your contract with YOUR signature... its worth a few laughs when they send you the 'contract'.

My contract was the bell employee saying I had a contract with HIS signature...

told collections to blow me.

end of story.