European GSM 900/1800/1900 phone in Canada

Hama

Jun 3, 2005
I might be using a Nokia 6610i with GSM 900/1800/1900. As I understand it in Canada you have GSM 850 and 1900. So if my phone only does the 1900 frequency, will that be bad? Will I often find myself in 850-only areas? Is it just a strength/quality of signal issue or would I be likely to have no signal at all in many areas? This would be in Ontario.

Thanks!

Hama

Jun 3, 2005
Re: RE: European GSM 900/1800

Thanks, I see. I suppose it should be just fine around a city certainly.

Any ideas on why exactly there are two frequencies? Doesn't lower frequency retain it's signal strength over a vaster area? So like in the country side, there would tend to be a higher saturation of the 850 frequency? Never gave this any thought till now...

kalok said:
It's not going to be VERY BAD... but more is always better.

kalok~

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
RE: European GSM 900/1800

Rogers use both 1900 and 850
Fido use only 1900.

But it doesn't matter anymore since Fido use owned by Rogers. By the time you get here, the network will be integrated, which menas, it will be only one network.

850mhz is better for inside building signals, such as high building, undergroung garage, and maybe subway.

kalok~

Hama

Jun 3, 2005
Thanks for your help. One more question... in Canada do any of the other services like MMS or WAP depend at all on which frequency is available?

Thanks!

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com

It's not depending on the frequencies.
SMS should be fine, since it's considered as Voice over here.
But for MMS it depends if your provider has signed agreement with Fido/Rogers or not for data.

For example, Rogers has signed agreement with XYZ country for voice only. That's mean, if i go to XYZ company, I can't log-on to WAP or send MMS.
Another example, Rogers has signed agreement with ABC country for both voice and data, that means, if i go to ABC country, I'll be able to log-on to WAP or send MMS.

Understand??

kalok~

Hama

Jun 3, 2005
Re: RE: European GSM 900/1800

kalok said:
For example, Rogers has signed agreement with XYZ country for voice only. That's mean, if i go to XYZ company, I can't log-on to WAP or send MMS.
Another example, Rogers has signed agreement with ABC country for both voice and data, that means, if i go to ABC country, I'll be able to log-on to WAP or send MMS.
Actually it will be a more extended stay during which I'll aquire local mobile phone service.

I found out that many of the phones that Nokia for instance sells/supports in Canada and U.S. are actually the very same "Triband" GSM 900/1800/1900 phones that are sold in Europe (without the 850 mhz band). So I guess that shouldn't be a problem then... they obviously work fine over there.

But I have been going through the Rogers and FIDO sites and I'm wondering if they will even accept a phone that is not purchased from them. All sorts of business about "phones designed specifically for Rogers".... scary.

I'm actually in the middle of deciding what phone to upgrade to over here in Europe... all the good quality phones are indeed Triband phones, but only one or two are phones that Rogers or FIDO carry.

Would be nice if there weren't compatibility problems with the enhanced feature-sets.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Since you said you'll be using a local service provider, do you mind to tell me for how long you're staying?
Because, if you're staying long enough, I would suggest you to save your money and get a phone over here on a discounted price towards a 2 or 3 years service agreement.

Rogers / Fido don't care where your phone is from. As longest as it's unlocked, then it will work fine over here. But getting a phone with 850mhz, will make a world of difference in terms of reception.

And one more thing, you'll need the proper settings for your unlocked tri-band phone for WAP and MMS. But that is easy to find, just tell me what brand and model you have, then i'll be able to give the settings within an instant.

So let me know if you need further assistance.

kalok~

Hama

Jun 3, 2005
Oh the stay wouldn't be anything approaching a whole year. I did find out also that Rogers at least sells exclusively locked phones and the unlocking code comes with a hefty fee.

A prepaid-minutes/use type service would be fine for me.

How do you find out the settings for any phone?

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Nokia 6020 (and unlocked). It's not sold over there, but it's a "Triband".... as long as they have the 1900 mhz frequency, they are considered compatible in Canada.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com

6020 will be carried by fido

I have my ways to find the settings
But I'll also need to know which service provider you'll choose.

Rogers and Fido belongs to the same corp, however, it is still 2 seperate companies.

kalok~

Hama

Jun 3, 2005
I was thinking Rogers actually. My friend that I'll be visiting uses Rogers and it looks ok to me.

But that would be fantastic if you could find the settings for Rogers/6020. Another issue I can check off the list... Thanks.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Actually, I got it.

-WAP-
Settings name: Rogers
homepage: wap.howardforums.com <-- or whatever you want
Proxies: enabled. 208.200.067.150 OR 172.025.000.107 * with a port of :8080
*this IP is the same as the media.com IP. it can also be used if you like from what I have seen
Data Bearer: GPRS

Select Bearer settings

GPRS access point: GOAM.COM, Internet.com now optional. you will need internet.com for the email client.
Authentication type: Normal
Login Type: Automatic
Username: Wapuser1
Password: Wap

after you put the settings remember to go back and activate those settings in connection settings

these settings are 100% correct.
If it still doesn't work you've either done something wrong, or, you don't have the right data plan.

-MMS-

here are my exact settings:

menu/messages/mewssage settings/multimedia settings:
save sent messages: yes
delivery reports: off
scale down images: no
Default slide timing: 00:08
allow multimedia reception: yes
incoming multimedia messages: retreive

connection settings
Active multimedia settings: Media <-- you have to create one

edit active settings
settings name: Media
homepage: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
proxies: enable
Primary proxy: 172.025.000.107 Port: 8080
Secondary Proxy: leave blank, port will default to 8080
data bearer: gprs

bearer settings
GPRS access point: Media.com
authenticatio: Secure
username: Media
password: mda01

kalok~

Hama

Jun 3, 2005
Thanks! That's a relief to know I don't need to wonder about the settings anymore. I had no clue how that would get sorted.

I've never set up a MMS/WAP phone before. Is the connectivity for POP/SMTP covered by those too? (apart from my mail servers of course).

Anyway you seem to be in the loop, so I guess you've seen this: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6020. The 6020 is being introduced over there or at least in the states; you did mention above somewhere about Fido carrying it.

I like it for being well featured but simple design physically... good old fashion square buttons, etc.

Not a huge screen like the 6620, but oh well. I might still swing for the 6600 (that's what it's called in Euroland), but I'm going to try to control myself and settle for the 6020... good enough for me :)

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com

I know which phone you're talking about, since i'm a phone freak and I'm chinese, I always follows the phones that HK has. However, i don't buy any phones without 850mhz anymore due the reception of the 850mhz does make a huge difference in where I live (it's a new area of my city).

kalok~

Taz

Mar 29, 2007
Motorola c370 Unlock Code

Hello could someone please tell me the unlock codes for the cellphone Motorola c370. Its a very old phone but I would like to be able to use it with any Wireless provider.

Thanks so much for any help

Taz

yuki

Dec 10, 2007
Nokia 7370 Help me !

Hi!
I traveling in canada.
& I have a cell phone Nokia 7370(unlocked)
I tried to get rogers SIM card yesterday... but that say "no networking" or very low antenna sign.
do u know which company of SIM is better for the Nokia 7370?

Thindor

Feb 6, 2008
Hi!

I would like to buy the Samsun P300 or the LG KG 920 phone. However I want to make sure it will work well in the GTA. If anyone can confirm that 1900 frquency is enought I would appreciate it. On top of that kalok if you have an info for the two phones I would appreciate it. I will be using it on the Rogers network.

thanks

mk3777

Oct 20, 2009
Hello
I have a similar problem,
I received a Nokia 5310 from europe as a gift but I find that it does not have as good a reception at my work ( inside a factory) that my old dualband samsung does on a Rogers network.
on the Eropean Nokia site it says it supports the following frequencies:

• GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (Americas)
  • GSM 900/900/1800/1900 MHz (rest of the world
On the Canadian Nokia site it says it supports:
GSM 850/1800/1900 MHz
Does this mean that the Euro version of the phone is Tri band and the North Am. version is a quad band?
Is there a way to confirm that the phone does not work on the 850MHz frequency?
thanks
mk