Fido or Telus? Which is better?

tann

May 13, 2005
I need some help deciding between Fido and Telus

Here are my 2 options of plans that would best suit my needs:

FIDO $30/month:
-100 daytime minutes
-1000 eve and weekends (starting at 7:00)*$5.00/month more for evenings starting at 5:00
- per second billing
- unlimited incoming calls
-------------------------------------------------
TELUS $23/month:
-200 daytime
-unltd. eve and weekend starting at 6:00

*Both plans include call waiting
*I'd never exceed 1000 minutes for eve and weekends
*I don't need a ton of daytime since I work at a hsopital during the day and my phone has to stay off
*Free (UNLIMITED) incoming calls and per second billing sound great!

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: I need some help deci

why dont you go with the TALK TO ME 25 with TELUS, you get:

100 anytime minutes
1000 evening and weekend minutes
unltd incoming calling(it does sound great!)
100 minutes of LD in canada

all for $25 a month, its all the benefits of FIDO rate plans, with Long distance in canada and the best digital network in canada through telus.

heres the url for more info:http://telusmobility.com/on/plans/pcs/talk_to_me.shtml

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com

It depends on your needs. Try to think about other stuffs, like technology (GSM vs CDMA), or think about customers benefits/services.

I know that you can only change your plan twice a year with Telus.

that's my $0.02

kalok~

tann

May 13, 2005
Re: RE: I need some help deci

nitzomoe said:
why dont you go with the TALK TO ME 25 with TELUS, you get:

100 anytime minutes
1000 evening and weekend minutes
unltd incoming calling(it does sound great!)
100 minutes of LD in canada

all for $25 a month, its all the benefits of FIDO rate plans, with Long distance in canada and the best digital network in canada through telus.

heres the url for more info:http://telusmobility.com/on/plans/pcs/talk_to_me.shtml

This plan (unfortunately) is NOT avilable in Manitoba.

tann

May 13, 2005

no1important said:
I think the per second billing is what would make Fido more appealling to me.

That's why I keep leaning toward Fido. I am guessing that 40% of my calls (give or take) are leaving messages on ppls v-mail or getting someone who is on the other end of call waiting and they need to call me back...hence the perks of FREE INCOMING CALLS!!

I tried my phone today and so far, it's way better for connecting than my Rogers phone has ever been (likely the phone) and the phone also sounds much clearer (to me and the folks on the other end).

I have 12 more days until I can get a refund, but so far, it's a keeper (the phone and the Fido plan).

tann

May 13, 2005
RE: I need some help deciding between Fido and Telus

Siemens A65. I am not a fan of flip phones (I know I am one in a million in that sense). I am not into gadgets, just after a good quality, good sounding, compact phone that I can stick into my purse. I find flip phones a huge hassle.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Re: RE: I need some help deciding between Fido and Telus

tann said:
Siemens A65. I am not a fan of flip phones (I know I am one in a million in that sense). I am not into gadgets, just after a good quality, good sounding, compact phone that I can stick into my purse. I find flip phones a huge hassle.

If you trust me, go change your phone right away.

The reason is, Siemens A65 is tri-band 900/1800/1900mhz, in north america, you can only use 1900mhz, and the 900/1800mhz are for euro/asia.

Fido is being bought by Rogers, Rogers use 850 and 1900mhz. You can get FREE rogers' network within Fido's coverage.

Go get a phone with 850mhz.
For a non-flip model, there's the Nokia 3100b and Sony Ericsson T237. Nokia 6670 is also a 850mhz phone, but it's more expensive.

850mhz will give you a world of difference TRUST ME!

kalok~

tann

May 13, 2005
Re: I need some help deciding between Fido and Telus

kalok:

I do have Rogers coverage on my plan. After reading reviews od the Nokia 3100b and the Sony Ercisson T237, I think I'll consider the Sony. The 3100b got pretty poor reviews, from what I've read. Many ppl said that the volume is so low and very hard to hear the person on the other end of the phone. The Sony got pretty good reviews, but many comments were made about dust (?) and ppor reception in places like the car. Wouldn't the reception issue be because of the carrier as opposed to the phone?

Thanks.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com

tann said:
kalok:

I do have Rogers coverage on my plan. After reading reviews od the Nokia 3100b and the Sony Ercisson T237, I think I'll consider the Sony. The 3100b got pretty poor reviews, from what I've read. Many ppl said that the volume is so low and very hard to hear the person on the other end of the phone. The Sony got pretty good reviews, but many comments were made about dust (?) and ppor reception in places like the car. Wouldn't the reception issue be because of the carrier as opposed to the phone?

Thanks.

In terms of reception, you'll have to consider on both sides, provider and the handset. To be very honest, you don't have to worry about Rogers' coverage. Not that I work for Rogers to say something like that, but Rogers has a real good network.

It's up to you, nokia 3100b has the common nokia hiss problem. T237 should be good, but back in the days when I was still selling the T226(similar phone of the T237) I had a lots of problems with it. I guess SonyEricsson has upgraded so they make T237. But trust me, either 3100b or T237, you'll still get better reception than your siemens a56. Especially, that you have Rogers' coverage. The reason is.. 850mhz...

kalok~

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

oh well, if u do have any reception problems you can pay the extra $5/month and roam of rogers outside of the fido footprint which is really nice

tann

May 13, 2005

kalok said:
^
I think they are doing promo like including Rogers' coverage for the terms of your agreement.

kalok~

Yes, I do have access to the Rogers network, fre of charge for the duration of my contract. I am going to go this afternoon and exchange my Siemens phone for the Sony.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

That's why I keep leaning toward Fido. I am guessing that 40% of my calls (give or take) are leaving messages on ppls v-mail or getting someone who is on the other end of call waiting and they need to call me back...hence the perks of FREE INCOMING CALLS!!

If that is the case then stay with Fido. If you are just leaving messages(40% by your account) being billed per minute instead of per second really adds up. Believe me I know from experience. Stick with per second if you can.

tann

May 13, 2005
RE: I need some help deciding between Fido and Telus

I have decided to stay with Fido. I tried my phone all day yesterday from the house, the car, the mall, etc., etc. and it worked really well. When I tried Fido a couple of years ago, I never had good reception. Now that I am tied in with the Rogers network, so far so good. I am going to exchange my phone today for the Sony Ericsson, T237, because of the 850 mhz.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Re: RE: I need some help deciding between Fido and Telus

tann said:
I have decided to stay with Fido. I tried my phone all day yesterday from the house, the car, the mall, etc., etc. and it worked really well. When I tried Fido a couple of years ago, I never had good reception. Now that I am tied in with the Rogers network, so far so good. I am going to exchange my phone today for the Sony Ericsson, T237, because of the 850 mhz.

ah.. you learn quick!! :D

So yea, please post your feedback after exchanging the T237.

kalok~

tann

May 13, 2005

I charged up my T237 overnight and tried it out today. SO far, so good. I didn't have a chance to try it from a variety of locations, but it worked well when I used it. I am so used to Siemens phones that I need to get used to it. The screen isn't as good as my Siemens A65 was and the reception seems the same. Overall, a good phone so far. It was free, so I got credited on my Visa for the $25 (still cheap) that I paid for the Siemens and for $20, bought a car charger, headset and case.

I am hooked on Fido....I guess I have been brainwahsed into the cult. It was nice today, I accpepted a ton of incoming calls and all were free! I am loving my plan!

tann

May 13, 2005

Well, although I exchanged my Siemens A65 (1900/1800/900 mhz) for the Sony Ericsson T237 (1900 and 850 MHz) since Rogers operates on 850 mhz., I was happier with my Siemens phone. It seems to be cutting out her and there...not as clear as the Siemens. Although, it was windy today, could that be why? I still will try it under different conditions.