Cell Phone Portability

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I see we are going to get cell phone portability like they have in America. About time if you ask me.

Plus it is a big "plus" if you get mad at your service provider you can still keep your current number, providing you stay in the same coverage area. It is expected to take effect September 1, 2005.

Here or Here

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
doesnt effect me so much, im sticking with what i have right now for a loooooooooooong time. but nice to see those corporate bastards (ROGERS,BELL,TELUS) no longer being able to scam a customer because of the cancellation penalt

michel-2000

Apr 5, 2005
South Shore of MTL
RE: Cell Phone Portabilit

How do you think users will react when they get charged like 1.50$ each month to keep their number, when they change providers ?!"!?!?!?!?

Anyway, it doesn't affect either......Ted is my man.....!!!

Michel

nitzomoe said:
doesnt effect me so much, im sticking with what i have right now for a loooooooooooong time. but nice to see those corporate bastards (ROGERS,BELL,TELUS) no longer being able to scam a customer because of the cancellation penalt

What do you mean? They will still enforce contracts. Just because you can take your number with you doesn't mean you can do it whenever you like.

Still, users have a little more freedom. The providers might actually start attempting to provide good service to their existing customers now.

My take on the thing is blogged here: http://www.jonwatson.ca/blog/?p=151#more-151if anyone cares.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: Cell Phone Portabilit

theres an incentive to switching phone companies. With TELUS during some months there are trade-in promotions where you can bring your fone and bill from Rogers or Fido and get 1 year free. Some customers opt out because they operate a business line which they do not want to loose.