Should I switch to Telus?

radioking

Feb 23, 2005
Toronto
Telus is trying to lure more subscribers by offering a pretty sweet deal for FIDO and Rogers Wireless customers (like me), and I'm having trouble deciding whether to switch to Telus or not...

Here's my dilemma: I like my Fido plan -- 150 min day/1000min evgs + weekends, 30 msg voicemail, conference/call fwd... all for $30/month! This is an old plan I signed up for 3 years back.

Now if I switched to Telus on a 3 year contractI would get: a free Samsung phone :D (the A670 is the one I'm eyeing) and one year of free calling (just have to pay for the "system access fee"+tx=$9/mth). Voice mail is included but can only hold 3 msgs.

After the 1 yr of free calling I'm on the $25/mnth plan - 100 day min, free evgs/wkends which start at *8pm and end at 7am* (!!what happened evgs starting @ 6pm, oh that's $5 extra?!!)

Any thoughts? Free phone and 1yr of free calling is pretty enticing but there's a few "buts".

Sorry for the longish post,
rk

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
If ur thinking of the TELUS 's MAX 25 plan for ROGERS/FIDO customers the plan also includes unltd incoming calling, which is significantly better than the plan ur have. 100 anytime minutes, unltd incoming local calling, 1000 minutes weekend/evening should easily beat out your current plan.

Plus ur getting a free year ( plus system acces fee, emergency and taxes) which is an added boost. If i was in ur position i would choose the Moto V710 over the A670 mainly because the MOTO 710 has way more features and is worth the price (149.99) ( i got to play around with one for work and it was sweet). the A670 is kinda nice but very generic looking and reception isnt the best.

In addition, call display is only $4.00 and upgrading to voice mail 10 (10 voicemails for 10 days and afterwards u can forward the messages to phone memory) is only $2.00 so combined its pretty decent.

Too be fair, Fido would probably renew your contract and offer something similar for customer loyalty but probably not with a whole year free. Also with Fido service u can take your fone all over the world because of the GSM network, though u would be paying hundreds of dollars for that option and its rarely ever used.

again i personally prefer TELUS service, CDMA obliterates GSM in terms of call clarity, data network (TELUS secretly testing out EV-DO in Vancouver without making it official like Bell has) and digital coverage.

The MOTO V710 has bluetooth, mp3 playback, MiniSD card, Video Caption, high res 262K color TFT screen, builtin speakerfone and mp3 ringtone capability which is meets and beats all top of the line products currently offered by FIDO or ROGERS or BELL.

Thats a lot to read but i hope this helps

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
RE: Should I switch to Te

It also depends on what's your need, with Fido, you're on GSM, you can switch phones whenever you want without contacting your service provider and without programing the phones. And another thing, to cancel a contract with Bell/Fido/Rogers, the max penality is $200, and with Telus, there is no cap, my friend just activate his line at telus in December and wanted to cancel, telus was asking for $800. And you must also want to check about their customer service, coverage and overall.

And in terms of plan, you better check carefully what's really offering by Telus, some of my friends and even customers got screw by Telus with the Fido/Rogers counter offer. Read the fine print!

Telus will give you only 2 times a year to change plan comparing to Rogers/Fido, you can change plan whenever you want. Rogers/Fido will also give you the chance to benefit the new offer. Meaning that if you're already one of their customer and you see there is a new promo from them, you can just call in customer service and have them give it to you. Telus doesn't always give the new customer promo to existing customer.

And please to remember one thing, Telus has agreement with Bell's network, that's mean, some of the Telus towers belongs to Bell. So if one day, Bell say "No more business with Telus", then you're stuck with network.

Fido customer can now roam on Rogers' network for free within the Fido footprint that's excluding Full Controle, prepaid, cityfido and country fido. To get the enhanced coverage (Rogers full network) it's only $5 a month. And Rogers will never say "No more business with Fido" since they own Fido.

If you're in montreal, right now, Rogers' offering 1 year unlimited local calling. It's not free, but it's still good. At least you don't need to worry with the network.

To be honest, i work for Rogers. My opinion might be one sided. But seriously, if you think Telus will fit your needs and be insure to read all the fine print, then go ahead, if your choice, your money.

My $0.02.

kalok~

radioking

Feb 23, 2005
Toronto
Thanks for all the advice and no those posts weren't too long especially when it comes to making a somewhat informed decision!

So I made the switch today: hello Telus, goodbye Fido and my old Nokia 3350! The free phone and free year of calling were really the main clinchers. I was really frustrated with the Nokia's reception, there were so times I found myself leaning against windows when taking calls. My wife is with Telus so in many cases we were able to compare reception side by side, she wins in most cases!

I looked at the V710 & it is indeed a VERY sweet phone, however, the $150 I'd have to shell out for it (on a 3yr contract) would hold me back. So I opted for the A600 (instead of the A670, mistake?) - this is my first camera phone so I'm having fun playing with the features!

I forgot all about the free incoming calls on the 25 plan! That was definitely the icing on the cake! I live in Toronto so Fido offered the free calls for a year like they do in Montreal, that may have swung me back to Fido's side.

Well, I'm looking forward to having monthly cell bills go from $48 to about $8 until Feb 2006! I've got a pretty slick phone (remember I'm upgrading from a Nokia 3350!) and a plan I'm pretty happy with.

Thanks again for your feedback.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
RE: Should I switch to Te

if you mean the particular promotion,(free service for one year and trade-in phone) it ended in february 2005 and will most likely will not come back, if it does it would be this coming december as it is a winter promotion