FYI : the GLOSSARY

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Glossary

Band(s) : Frequency used for Mobile phones. 900/1800mhz are mostly used in Europe and Asia. 850/1900mhz are mostly used in north America. GSM Canadian providers are Fido, and Rogers Wireless
*850mhz is only available in Rogers Wireless and Fido roaming option.

-Dual-bands means two bands, it's a combination of 2 of any frequencies. Normally it should be combined like the following : 900/1800mhz or 900/1900mhz or 850/1900mhz.

-Tri-bands means three bands, it's a combination of 3 of any frequencies. Normally it should be combined like the following :900/1800/1900mhz or 850/1800/1900mhz.

-Quad-bands means obviously four bands, which means all frequencies. 850/900/1800/1900mhz

Bluetooth : Wireless Technology that can give communication to send/receive data stuff within a limited area from a device to another. It doesn't has to be a Mobile phone. It could be any electronic devices in which they have Bluetooth functionality (i.e. Printer --> Computer). You can also use your mobile phone connected to your PDA or laptop via Bluetooth to log-on internet.

EDGE : Ehanced Data GPRS Evolution, First part of 3G, the newest revolution of wireless internet service based on GPRS interface. High-speed internet capacities in wireless, it's about 4 or 5 times faster than GPRS. My personnal experience was around 200 something kbps. You'll feel really close to high speed.

GPRS : Global Packet Radio Service, 2.5G of Wireless Data Technology. Data means MMS, Picture Messaging, Email, WAP mobile Internet, etc.

GSM : Global Service Mobile, 2.5G of Wireless Voice Technology. When the provider has GSM which means they have GPRS at the same time. SMS is including in Voice Technology.

IRDA : Infrared, technology most used on electronic devices, you can connect 2 devices SIDE BY SIDE to send/receive data. It doesn't has to be a Mobile phone. It could be any electronic devices in which they have IRDA functionality. (i.e. PDA --> Computer). You can also use your mobile phone connected to your PDA or laptop via IRDA to log-on internet.

MMS : Multimedia Message Service, file sent, either is an audio, a picture and/or a video from a Mobile phones to another, calls MMS.

SMS : Short Message Service, message sent to Mobile phones, limited by a maximum of 160 characters. All numbers, letters, symbols and spaces counts as a characters. Overseas SMS is possible depending your mobile phone service providers' if they had signed an agreement with the service provider from overseas. Charge should be the same as local sms, please call your service provider to confirm.

WCDMA : Wideband Code Division Multiple Access, second part of 3G of Wireless Technology, the newest revolution of Network frequency based on GSM interface networks. From the years of 2003 to 2005, Nokia will install up 100 networks towers. This technology will be the only way for you to get ROAM in Japan, with a 3G WCDMA phone. And it offer you full multimedia opponents, such as live view-talking with the third party.

This section will be updated frequently, as soon as I have knowledge of new technology, I will present them to all of you. All descriptions are based on MY OWN KNOWLEDGE it is bigtime possible that I'm wrong (i'm not perfect :p). No doubt about that. And also, if there is anything that you want to know, share, correct and/or have find some eerroorrs feel free to post it here!. It could be helpful for others and even to upgrade my own knowledge.

Thanks

kalok~

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Glossary

Band(s) : Frequency used for Mobile phones. 900/1800mhz are mostly used in Europe and Asia. 850/1900mhz are mostly used in north America. GSM Canadian providers are Fido, and Rogers Wireless

-Dual-bands means two bands, it's a combination of 2 of any frequencies. Normally it should be combined like the following : 900/1800mhz or 900/1900mhz or 850/1900mhz.

-Tri-bands means three bands, it's a combination of 3 of any frequencies. Normally it should be combined like the following :900/1800/1900mhz or 850/1800/1900mhz.

-Quad-bands means obviously four bands, which means all frequencies. 850/900/1800/1900mhz

Bluetooth : Wireless Technology that can give communication to send/receive data stuff within a limited area from a device to another. It doesn't has to be a Mobile phone. It could be any electronic devices in which they have Bluetooth functionality (i.e. Printer --> Computer). You can also use your mobile phone connected to your PDA or laptop via Bluetooth to log-on internet.

EDGE : Ehanced Data GPRS Evolution, First part of 3G, the newest revolution of wireless internet service based on GPRS interface. High-speed internet capacities in wireless, it's about 4 or 5 times faster than GPRS. My personnal experience was around 200 something kbps. You'll feel really close to high speed.

GPRS : Global Packet Radio Service, 2.5G of Wireless Data Technology. Data means MMS, Picture Messaging, Email, WAP mobile Internet, etc.

GSM : Global Service Mobile, 2.5G of Wireless Voice Technology. When the provider has GSM which means they have GPRS at the same time. SMS is including in Voice Technology.

IRDA : Infrared, technology most used on electronic devices, you can connect 2 devices SIDE BY SIDE to send/receive data. It doesn't has to be a Mobile phone. It could be any electronic devices in which they have IRDA functionality. (i.e. PDA --> Computer). You can also use your mobile phone connected to your PDA or laptop via IRDA to log-on internet.

MMS : Multimedia Message Service, file sent, either is an audio, a picture and/or a video from a Mobile phones to another, calls MMS.

SMS : Short Message Service, message sent to Mobile phones, limited by a maximum of 160 characters. All numbers, letters, symbols and spaces counts as a characters. Overseas SMS is possible depending your mobile phone service providers' if they had signed an agreement with the service provider from overseas. Charge should be the same as local sms, please call your service provider to confirm.

WCDMA : Wideband Code Division Multiple Access, second part of 3G of Wireless Technology, the newest revolution of Network frequency based on GSM interface networks. From the years of 2003 to 2005, Nokia will install up 100 networks towers. This technology will be the only way for you to get ROAM in Japan, with a 3G WCDMA phone. And it offer you full multimedia opponents, such as live view-talking with the third party.

This section will be updated frequently, as soon as I have knowledge of new technology, I will present them to all of you. All descriptions are based on MY OWN KNOWLEDGE it is bigtime possible that I'm wrong (i'm not perfect :p). No doubt about that. And also, if there is anything that you want to know, share, correct and/or have find some eerroorrs feel free to post it here!. It could be helpful for others and even to upgrade my own knowledge.

Thanks

kalok~

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Glossary

Thanks

kalok~