• Is it okay if I pick Bell or Rogers?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Fido...

Since Fido has far better plans, they might be transferred to a Telus service.. or atleast newly upgraded GSM Networks.

betadog

Nov 5, 2004
Fido no question they have always been googd to me but now bell is fighting for my cell coverage hmmm may change

Jaguar4u

May 14, 2004
Toronto
www.theguvernment.com
at present Nov 8, 2004

Bell digital signal operates on CDMA, the most extensive, covering the largest areas in Canada.
Bell has its own analog towers but not as many as Rogers.
Bell only offers per minute billing and high cost of additional air time, roaming and long distance charges. Buyers beware!

Rogers has two digital networks, TDMA and GSM, (GSM is the network used in most of the world for those who travel outside North America) GSM works great in urban areas as well, and TDMA has strong signals in buildings and elevators.
Rogers has the most extensive analog coverage in Canada.
Rogers only offers per minute billing and has additional charges similar to Bell.

Rogers is buying Fido and will continue to offer the Fido brand. Fido operates on the GSM network.
Fido customers will continue to enjoy per second billing, really good rate plans and will benefit greatly form gaining access to all the GSM towers combined (Fido and Rogers). Additional air time, roaming, and long distance are billed at very low rates :)

Last but not least, is Telus.
Telus digital operates on the CDMA network. Telus uses its own towers as well as all Bell CDMA towers, giving Telus clients the largest digital coverage in Canada.
All Telus handsets use CDMA. Really old Telus handsets used Rogers analog towers when the digital signal was absent. Since 2000 all Telus handsets use all analog towers when needed, but with their extensive digital coverage, it is rarely needed.
Telus has more rate plans to chose from than any other carrier. They offer match-it plans so they can match plans from other carriers. Telus has the lowest cost plans and can offer per second billing, matching Fido's low cost additional air time, roaming, and long distance rates.

Telus also offers the "MIKE" brand digital network that has a very powerful signal that works very well in buildings and elevators.

Summary for best coverage and rate plans:

Fido if you need a world phone.
Telus if you only use the phone in North America.

Woodchuck

Nov 19, 2004
Re: RE: Who would you choose?

Jaguar4u said:
at present Nov 8, 2004

Rogers has two digital networks, TDMA and GSM, (GSM is the network used in most of the world for those who travel outside North America) GSM works great in urban areas as well, and TDMA has strong signals in buildings and elevators.
Rogers has the most extensive analog coverage in Canada.
Rogers only offers per minute billing and has additional charges similar to Bell.

Rogers is buying Fido and will continue to offer the Fido brand. Fido operates on the GSM network.
Fido customers will continue to enjoy per second billing, really good rate plans and will benefit greatly form gaining access to all the GSM towers combined (Fido and Rogers). Additional air time, roaming, and long distance are billed at very low rates :)

hihi,

i'm thinking about getting a GSM phone and using Fido since it will have both Rogers and Fido GSM towers coverage.

my question is, do you know specifically which GSM frequencies are supported?

the phone i'm thinking about getting is only a dual band GSM 900/1800. but i'm not sure if this phone will work here (GTA) with the Fido service.

any ideas?

thanks,
woodchuck