Rogers Wireless Review

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
I just want to correct some of your mistakes.

- it doesn't exist 4 years contract with Rogers.
- GSM at rogers, doesn't have analog module to use Rogers' analog networks, that's only available with Fido back in 1997 with Nokia 5190 and Nokia 6190.

In the years of 2003-2004, Rogers has improved alots of their network and coverage, drop calls should be lesser then less. However, Rogers has recently purchased Fido, Rogers customer can use Fido network for free ( if need, the phone will switch automatically ). And their is an issue right now, if a customer is using their phone in Rogers coverage and stepping in a Fido coverage, in the meantime, it is possible that they are experiencing drop calls. Samething to Fido customer with Rogers coverage as option.

As for Cancelation Policies, you're right, it's $20 x number of the months left on the contract or to a maximum $200.

Quick Tips : To have the best coverage with Rogers, your phone should better have 850mhz.

kalok~

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
RE: Rogers Wireless Revie

I made this thread sticky for ppl to find it easily.

Also please put in mind the reviews are kind of out-dated, it can only give you a preview image of how it is. With the times goes, some providers are getting better and some others are getting worse. If you want more information, please look and ask around the forum.

kalok~

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Hey, I've made some updates to this review as I received some information corrections via email. If you notice anything else that is wrong or want to rewrite the review, let me know!

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com

Also a little update for those who don't know.

Rogers will be launching the 3G network by the end of summer or lastest by the end of the year.

It is called the HSDPA, High Spead Data Packet Access(If I'm not mistaken).

This technology is based on GSM/GPRS/EDGE network. It gives a higher speed of DATA transmission. I heard the maximum was something around 14mbps. It will also allow you to have voice and DATA transmission in the same time, in which it will fit the best for Video conferencing.

How does 3G of Rogers Compare to the 3G of Bell/Telus?
Rogers uses HSDPA based on GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and Bell/Telus uses EV-DO. EV-DO was not based on their CDMA/1X networks.

So put it this way, with Rogers, wherever you go, as long as GSM works, GPRS/EDGE will work. So as long as GPRS/EDGE works, HSDPA will also work. So it works everywhere that Rogers has coverage It's pratically the same network, just a little update need to be done.

EV-DO stand for EVolution, Data-Only, so it will gives end users only a higher speed of DATA access. Video conference does not work until they decide update their network to EV-DV, EVolution, Data and Voice.

Put in mind another thing, Bell/Telus still have Analog system, it means that not everywhere in Bell/Telus coverage can use EV-DO/EV-DV.

A last side note, Rogers is will be shutting down all TDMA network by 2007. I don't know what's going to happen to TDMA users, but mostly likely, Rogers will offer a GSM phone on a decent price to move the TDMA customers.

That's it for now.

Cya

kalok~

shelbc

Jan 4, 2007
Rogers TDMA Customers

I can tell you what is going to happen with TDMA customers. People will be offered upgrades and a new contract. I have heard two years. Pay as you go people are out of luck. My mother has a pay as you go phone and I bought the $100.00 one year pre-pay. I went to install the time and spent a couple of hours trying to get it to work. I thought it might be a PIN problem bu the website didn't work.

The next morning at 6:00 am PST (Rogers operates 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST - to hell with the people in the west. By 6:30 am I finally got an agent. I explained my problem and she asked me to hold on. After a 5 minute hold, the line went dead. I am sure she did not want to face another irate customer.

By 7:10 am I got through again and this time the agent told me that the $100 could not be used on a non-GSM phone. I asked what I could do with the $100 pre paid slip.

I was told to write a letter and request a refund, which will take 6 to 8 weeks. I asked to leave my name for a 72 hr. call back from a supervisor. The supervisor returned my call later that morning and promised to look into an upgrade for the phone. That was the last I heard from her.

What made me angry was the fact that I was sold the $100.00 credit without being told it would only work on GSM phones. I have called several Rogers Store and no one had heard of the new policy.

In my opinion Rogers could have given me the manual credit for the pay as you go phone or they could have given me a credit on one of my other accounts. I am more angry about their refusal to make the refund easy than I am about the stupidity of selling me the pre-paid credit in the first place.

I now have to find a new provider for my cell phones, land line and 800 number and walk to extra block to get my movies from Block Buster.

AdamJolin123

Feb 9, 2008
Don't buy anything from Rogers!

I have had the worst possible experience with Rogers. They are absolutly horrible with everything, it started off on a bad note, when I was buying my phone and choosing my 3 year plan (what a mistake) the sales rep had no clue what he was talking about, and in all lied about how much my plan would cost, and what the conditions of my warranty was. I unfortunitly found that out a little too late. Everything was fine until i began to have problems with my phone, so I took it into Rogers Wireless, only to find out that the only thing covered in my warranty would be water damage, not what I was told when I bought my phone and plan, the sales rep told me that this extended warranty would cover anything as long as i had one little peice of the phone, so I brought this to the attention of the not so lovely people at Rogers Wireless, and they told me that that would never happen, and untimitly that I was lying. So I asked for a copy of my contract and warranty and was told that that information was unavible to me, which is completely ridiculous, if I signed this legal document I should be able to see it and obtain a copy upon request. Then I was told that the cost of getting my phone repair would be about $175, for a not so great phone, so obviously I took my phoen and walked out. About a month later my phone somehow ;-) got water damage, and according to the terms of my warranty I would recieve a NEW phone if my current phoen was infact water damaged. Rogers took my phoen, determinded that it was water damaged and sent me a not so new phone, it was a refreb, so right there they broke the terms of a legal contract, so I called and was speaking with a sales rep, and once again I was accused of lying. By this point I'm very angry, so I call back earlier today and speak with someone becuase my payment is due soon and he wants me to provide a credit card to do the payment right then and there, I said no, and asked to be transfered to somone who could cancle my plan, so that I could be done with rogers, after trying to convince me that Rogers was the best network, he transfered me, or at least I thought he did, until the phone began to deep at me, he had hung up!

Is there anything I can do to get treated fairly by this company I'm extremly angry and no longer want to be with Rogers, but they are making it impossible to end my contract, please help! email me at a-d-a-m13@hotmail.com if you have any thoughts, please!

Oh, and DON'T sign any type of contract with this company, complete rip off.

rusynr

May 7, 2008
The Real Rogers Wireless

Rogers is flying high these days on the backs of their customers. Just call customer support on a phone problem and they will tell you without hesitation.

I needed a new SIM card for my son and was told by them Tough you need to pay us $45. I walked down the mall and got a free Rogers SIM card from a competitor! Being a customer with them since 91 with 4 phones doesn't count apparently.

How about when your phone dies and it takes 4 weeks for a repair. Don't stop your payments for Rogers needs the money to fund their arena, sports team and other new endeavors. When I asked customer support if they are milking their customers the person unhesitant said YES! If I had a problem I could call Ted Rogers myself! But she wouldn't give me his number.

Ted Rogers and his Management team have a new philosophy of promoting arrogance straight down to their employees.

andy1212

Jun 10, 2008
Rogers is Great!

I've been with Rogers for about 5 years now and I think it blows any other wireless company away! I really enjoy being a customer of yours because your customer service is top notch, your website is easy to use and great for paying bills, and a while back I lost my cellphone, and Rogers hooked me up with the best cellphone deal I could possibly imagine, giving me a Sony Ericsson w810i for a really good deal. The plan I have is amazing as well I've got the My 5 plan with the 250 bonus minutes, Canada wide long distance for free, unlimited local calling till July 6th and free evening and weekend minutes starting at 9pm, value pack which includes voicemail, call display, and extra 125 text messages, all for only $60/month! Everytime I talk to my friends, family and acquaintances I always have good things to say about Rogers.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I've been with Rogers for about 5 years now and I think it blows any other wireless company away! I really enjoy being a customer of yours because your customer service is top notch, your website is easy to use and great for paying bills, and a while back I lost my cellphone, and Rogers hooked me up with the best cellphone deal I could possibly imagine, giving me a Sony Ericsson w810i for a really good deal. The plan I have is amazing as well I've got the My 5 plan with the 250 bonus minutes, Canada wide long distance for free, unlimited local calling till July 6th and free evening and weekend minutes starting at 9pm, value pack which includes voicemail, call display, and extra 125 text messages, all for only $60/month! Everytime I talk to my friends, family and acquaintances I always have good things to say about Rogers.

Thanks for the big spam post Mr Andy/Roger employee. Geez. :roll:

BTW, that's 2112 if you were actually trying for some kind of wit.

Coto

Sep 12, 2008
Well renewing my plan was quite a hassle with them. First off, if you don't take the new phone, they don't give you credit at all. This was never the case even a year ago when the sales rep gave me a monthly credit on my contract.

Second, I was told by the sales rep that there's no point to renew my contract if I don't need a new phone because my contract would remain the same.. however when talking to the customer relations department (a step above), they told me any credit being given to the plan would stop, such as the phone credit, and caller id credit, etc.. which means sure, the plan would remain the same, but cost $20 more.

Third, when I tried to reduce myself to a 2 year contract (why get 3, not getting a new phone or anything), the sales rep then proceeded to tell me that they wouldn't include certain features, and the plan would cost more (incentive to sign for a longer contract?)

As far as I'm concerned, this is complete crap. So much for the good ol' days of them giving you what you want (within reason) so that you'd stay. She even offered to just cancel my contract. Nice Rogers.

And lastly, though more on a comical note, the password to login on their site can only contain letters and numbers... now if you think about it, this is absurd considering any password program will tell you that a strong password should contain at least one symbol. So I emailed them to just make the point... I mean it is private information, you should encourage your users to use a strong password, the email I got back is as follows:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of
online customer service.

In your recent email, you have informed us that you are displeased that
you online account password cannot contain symbols, capitals or numbers.

Please accept our apologies for the difficulties this has caused you.

In regards to our online passwords, the passwords are alpha numeric and
can contain capital letters, however we do suggest that password are in
lower case as it is easier for the user to remember.

If you have any further inquiries about our website, we would kindly as
that you contact our Ecare department directly at 1-877-343-5745,
between the hours of 7am-2am, 7 days a week, and they will be pleased to
assist you.

Thank you for choosing Rogers. You are a Valued Customer and we
appreciate your business.

For future email correspondence with respect to this e-mail, please
quote reference number *

Regards,
Marianne M.
Rogers Online Customer Service
http://www.rogers.com

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
*** Your Website General Inquiry/Content ***

Account Number -->

Name --> *

Email --> *

Address 1 -->

Address 2 -->

Postal Code -->

Subject --> Your Website General Inquiry/Content

Comments --> I''m a little bit disappointed that the password to access
my
online information cannot contain symbols.

Any strong password should include them, and it seems illogical why it
is
not allowed. All my other online services encourage the use of symbols,
capitals, and numbers in a password.

Any chance that there is a fix to this on the way?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
That's unbelievable! They're telling you to choose an easy password that you can remember.. I've never heard of such a thing.

rodney2009

Jun 25, 2009
I think Rogers are nuts they ask me to come back so I did then shut my phones off due to old bills not paid from old room mates they took advantage of me I told them thats why I went to store with my ID anyhow I return all mail to them I Love my virgin Mobile phone on pay go no sys access fee or 9 11 or customer serv fees. Rodney

rodney2009

Jun 25, 2009
also Rogers wanted 2 hundred doller deposit and Fido did not allow me to come with them how weird and telus wanted huge amount of $ and bell wanted 200 deposit I thought Rogers Owned FIDO?

rodney2009

Jun 25, 2009
ok I wanted no contract and wanted to use my owne phone still 200 deposit required what the heck? they said I can cut phone off anytime but will be charged cancellation fee? does not make sence and also no refound if I cancell phone