Can 911 locate you on a cell phone?

DaSleeper
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
I thought that emergency service had the technology on their system to find the exact location of a 911 call until I saw this report on TV tonight...
Both my wife and I have features on our phones so that we can quickly find each other should we get separated in a strange town where we don't recognize landmarks......
But it seems that emergency services are lacking in that respect.....even in the U.S.

911's deadly flaw: Lack of location data (external - login to view)

Cannuck
They can find the general vicinity

Mokkajava
+1
No they can't. A friend of mine lost their brother to this very fact.

DaSleeper
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by MokkajavaView Post

No they can't. A friend of mine lost their brother to this very fact.

Well Dumpy Cannut has a damn good GPS locator....It took him only 2 minutes to dump on a thread I started....
I win the bet guys.......

MHz
The cell tower. There is supposed to be some company that does that and all that has to be done is they send a text to the number you want to track and as long as that text is opened you can find them down to the exact room. That was from a few years back and it was aimed at parents being able to find their kids when the phones only ringing.

It's gotten better.
How to Track a Cell Phone | Digital Trends (external - login to view)

tay
+1
Maybe this is the better answer to not get separated in the first place.....

Cannuck
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

...It took him only 2 minutes to dump on a thread I started....

Dump on a thread?????....By answering your question???

You really do get butt hurt easily.

You better go hide under your bed because I'm going to expand on my comment.

About 10 years ago, a guy rolled his car at 4 in the morning and managed to dial 911. He wasn't very coherent and eventually passed out. We were able to go to the area...I'm guessing it was between 9 and 25 square miles. We did a grid search of the roads and found him.

You can come out from under your bed now Das

petros
Funny.

Dexter Sinister
If the phone is GPS-capable, and the function is enabled, you can be located to within a few meters. My wife and I have tested this with our iPhones' "Find my iPhone" feature, it shows you a map with roads identified on it and an icon showing the phone's location. In an urban area it can pin your location down to a street address. I dunno if the 911 people have that technology, I've never had to call them, but it's certainly doable in principle.

MHz
Even without your consent and the camera and mic can be turned on remotely. That ability just doesn't get opened up to all the people that would like that option, on both ends.

Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

She needs to learn to 'let go' a bit. At the mall maybe, this is what the kids would be capable of at their age. She will be holding their hand to get them across the street when they are 12.

petros
The article explained the issue quite clearly.

Not all phones send GPS to 911, not all 911 call centers can receive them.

MHz
Oh, is that why your reply 'was late'?

petros
You wanted me to explain this to you earlier?

Danbones
sometimes they just aim the drone at the tall guy because tall guys are more likely to be terrorists
no GPS necessary

www.reuters.com/article/us-af...-idUSKCN1200FW (external - login to view)
Last edited by Danbones; Dec 28th, 2016 at 09:15 PM..

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

If the phone is GPS-capable, and the function is enabled, you can be located to within a few meters. My wife and I have tested this with our iPhones' "Find my iPhone" feature, it shows you a map with roads identified on it and an icon showing the phone's location. In an urban area it can pin your location down to a street address. I dunno if the 911 people have that technology, I've never had to call them, but it's certainly doable in principle.

I'm surprised that you didn't read the article.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

The cell tower. There is supposed to be some company that does that and all that has to be done is they send a text to the number you want to track and as long as that text is opened you can find them down to the exact room. That was from a few years back and it was aimed at parents being able to find their kids when the phones only ringing.

It's gotten better.
How to Track a Cell Phone | Digital Trends (external - login to view)

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Dump on a thread?????....By answering your question???

You really do get butt hurt easily.

You better go hide under your bed because I'm going to expand on my comment.

About 10 years ago, a guy rolled his car at 4 in the morning and managed to dial 911. He wasn't very coherent and eventually passed out. We were able to go to the area...I'm guessing it was between 9 and 25 square miles. We did a grid search of the roads and found him.

You can come out from under your bed now Das

You two I expected not to have read the article. Mhz, because he can't read, and cannuck because he thinks he knows it all. Like Petros pointed out, the article explains why 911 doesn't get location services from cell phones.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Probably a lot more reliable!

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

and cannuck because he thinks he knows it all.

So he is capable of thinking?? I would have said No!

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

That's because you are incapable of thinking.

petros
+1

I'm surprised that you didn't read the article.

You two I expected not to have read the article. Mhz, because he can't read, and cannuck because he thinks he knows it all. Like Petros pointed out, the article explains why 911 doesn't get location services from cell phones.

Thank you sir. Merry Christmas.

No shocker but Cannuck is full of sh-t that they found some rollover because the cellphone gave a "general vacinity".

The best that can be done is through knowing the company the victim uses, the tower pinged and which transponder the phone hit of three on a tower and the direction the transponder faces.

With a cell tower having potential range of 45 miles giving 2025 sq miles of coverage and knowing the direction the call came from by which transponder it hit still leaves 608 sq miles of "general vacinity".

Even then it's still information that is protected by CRTC and held by the customers provider requiring a warrant to access.

Conclusion; 100% unmitigated, raw, and fresh bullsh-t.

Bullsh-tting takes thought.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Conclusion; 100% unmitigated, raw, and fresh bullsh-t.

Bullsh-tting takes thought.

Actually that is very true. Bullsh*tting requires a good memory to keep your stories straight, the truth doesn't change.

petros
He doesn't keep his story straight though.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

He doesn't keep his story straight though.

Of course not...................that's where a brain comes in!

That's because you are incapable of thinking.

W.T.F. would you know about thinking?

gerryh

W.T.F. would you know about thinking?

Obviously a hell of a lot more than you do. I put it down to you being a former silly servant. Never had to think for yourself.

JLM

Obviously a hell of a lot more than you do. I put it down to you being a former silly servant. Never had to think for yourself.

In your opinion!

gerryh
+1

In your opinion!

The opinion of most when it comes to those on the government dole. Over paid and under worked. Those that couldn't make it in the real work force, go to work for the government.

JLM

The opinion of most when it comes to those on the government dole. Over paid and under worked. Those that couldn't make it in the real work force, go to work for the government.

A remark like that just shows the extent of your ignorance. Define the term "make it". You think "make it" is the only criteria? Dummy!

gerryh

A remark like that just shows the extent of your ignorance. Define the term "make it". You think "make it" is the only criteria? Dummy!

"Make it".... to be willing to work hard to keep a job in the real world. As opposed to slacking the entire day and still get paid more than you're worth.

JLM

"Make it".... to be willing to work hard to keep a job in the real world. As opposed to slacking the entire day and still get paid more than you're worth.

You just confirmed what I suspected................you don't have a clue man!

gerryh

You just confirmed what I suspected................you don't have a clue man!

I don't expect you to admit that you were a lazy son of a bitch that was mediocre at his job, at best.

JLM

I don't expect you to admit that you were a lazy son of a bitch that was mediocre at his job, at best.

\

Being an idiot and not having any way of knowing my job performance your evaluation would be highly suspect. You, Cannuck and Bar Sinister (B.S.) should form a club!

tay
When your lost just ask somebody where you are........

wwwyoutubecomwatchv2WxTYy15yNs