Can 911 locate you on a cell phone?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

You two I expected not to have read the article. Mhz, because he can't read, and cannuck because he thinks he knows it all. Like Petros pointed out, the article explains why 911 doesn't get location services from cell phones.

Didn't have to read the article to answer the question in the thread title.

Quote:

Today's cellphone system does not automatically send location data when you dial 911. After the call comes in, the dispatcher's computer transmits a digital request to the cellphone network seeking the phone's location. The data exchange can take seconds or even minutes. Sometimes, it doesn't return a location at all.

Looks like the article backed me up quite nicely. Petros looks silly yet again. You would think he'd be use to it by now

DaSleeper
That's what trolls do derail a discusion....

Cannuck
You mean like you're trying to do?

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

If the phone is GPS-capable, and the function is enabled, you can be located to within a few meters. My wife and I have tested this with our iPhones' "Find my iPhone" feature, it shows you a map with roads identified on it and an icon showing the phone's location. In an urban area it can pin your location down to a street address. I dunno if the 911 people have that technology, I've never had to call them, but it's certainly doable in principle.

There are apps that will do it more easily than find my phone, where you have to remember each other's username and password, which also takes time to do
The easiest way is in a text message....like this....

Since when you open maps on IPhone your location is automatically there

(external - login to view)How to send any location from the Maps app with iMessage
  1. Launch the Maps app on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Find the location you'd like to share. ...
  3. Tap on the Share button.
  4. Tap on Message.
  5. Type the name of the person with whom you'd like to share your location.
  6. Tap Send.

https://www.google.ca/#q=send+your+l...a+text+message (external - login to view)

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

You two I expected not to have read the article. Mhz, because he can't read, and cannuck because he thinks he knows it all. Like Petros pointed out, the article explains why 911 doesn't get location services from cell phones.

How do 'we' know you read the article, you might be working off Pete's post???

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

I didn't read the article. I didn't have to to answer the question posed

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

He doesn't need to read anything to shoot off his stupid troll mouth!!

Cannuck
Let's try and stick to the topic Das. I think many of us have had enough of your trolling, m'kay?

Did you find my answers helpful at all?

jannie
Emergent Vision will display 50 MP 10 GigE Cameras (external - login to view) with Cmos Sensor technology. We use Sony Imx250 (external - login to view), Imx252, Imx253, Imx255 that enhances performance of our high speed 50 Megapixels 10 GigE cameras