Old school phones making a comeback

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Most people do not even really need a cell phone, much less a smart phone. If I had a choice I would take my Motorolla brick back. It made phone calls, withstood dropping off a roof and could be used as a hammer or a wheel chock if required.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's a pretty clever marketing scheme by phone-guy and carrier-guy.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Most people do not even really need a cell phone, much less a smart phone. If I had a choice I would take my Motorolla brick back. It made phone calls, withstood dropping off a roof and could be used as a hammer or a wheel chock if required.

I would argue that the thing that most people don't need is a landline. I think cell phones replace them very effectively. The whole point of having a phone at home is so people can get in touch with you, so what's more efficient a phone left at home while you're out or one that actually goes with you so that you can be reached? It's kind of like insurance, you may not use it often but when you need it, you really need it.

I can definitely see where people in certain professions might have need of a more 'sturdy' apparatus but as far as smartphones go, personally I'm a big fan of them. Phone, camera, calendar, data organizer, MP3 player, email, internet access, etc. Sure probably too many people use them more for playing games than anything else but you can't judge the usefulness of the technology solely by that. Computers are also extremely useful pieces of technology and a lot of people use them for very 'unnecessary' things too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
When I had my iPhone4 stolen, I had to go back to my old flip phone until the new iPhone5 came out. It was painful. Remember 3 key texting? Hit once for a, 2 for b and 3 for c? And my calendar had to be maintained on my PC (thankfully my calendar was in the iCloud so I didn't loose anything). Also, not having access to contacts was also painful. And had to remember to check e-mails daily and not just when I got the oh so convenient alert. And I had to carry a separate MP3 player. There is no way in hell I would willingly go back. Truth is I maybe use my phone as a phone about 1/2 of what I did before because I don't need to.

Now I still have an iPhone5 and although the bigger screen would be nice, I do enjoy that it fits in my pocket. I know some of the Android phones have nice big screens but carrying it around would be a problem.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've never had a smart phone because right now I know I don't need one, but if I get one, it'll create needs. Remember when people used to get cell phones "just for emergencies"? That bull**** excuse we all told ourselves to have both ways so we could have our phones but not feel like we were being swept away by our brave new connected world? Now we need them. I don't want that to happen with a smartphone, so I don't have one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I've never had a smart phone because right now I know I don't need one, but if I get one, it'll create needs. Remember when people used to get cell phones "just for emergencies"? That bull**** excuse we all told ourselves to have both ways so we could have our phones but not feel like we were being swept away by our brave new connected world? Now we need them. I don't want that to happen with a smartphone, so I don't have one.

Wise decision. I became addicted to mine the day I got it.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And you don't have to pay $80 a month for a data plan.
I'm only paying $45 + tax for unlimited cross Canada calling and messaging and 500mbs of shareable data that I never use up because the only time there is no wi fi in range is if I'm on the road.

Don't even have a house phone anymore.....

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
for a second I thought you were talking about rotary phones. :shock:

rotary cell phones. :shock: ;)

rotary cell phone - Google Search
omg that's what I thought he meant at first too...

I don't have a land line any more and haven't had for likely 4 years. I do have an emergency phone that I could plug into my computer if needed via my MagicJack.

I can be reached 24/7 if I choose to. When I don't choose to I just don't answer. I also have a nightshade which can be drawn down on my phone during sleep hours...no alerts will sound. My Smartphone is attached to me always.

I like it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm only paying $45 + tax for unlimited cross Canada calling and messaging and 500mbs of shareable data that I never use up because the only time there is no wi fi in range is if I'm on the road.

Don't even have a house phone anymore.....

I have similar at $40 (4 bucks taxes) pay as I go a month with nor am calling and worldwide texting. Any unused time and data is carried forward so it works out to be $40 for six - seven weeks.

By the sound of it no planning was used in picking his plan.