Won a new Samsung Note 2

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
This is my first smart phone. So far, I've chosen to be dumb. I'm not a phone phreak/but this one is super nice and much like a computer. However, it says you can read Kindle, and I've downloaded the app, but I'll be durned if I can find my books. Anyone else have a Note 2 with Kindle? HELP!

Ya'll get the same phones as we do in Texas...right?

Thanks,

Uncle

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
....Ya'll get the same phones as we do in Texas...right?

Uhmm.....maybe?

Your phones are bigger though, aren't they?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Don't have that phone but there must be some info in how to sync it in the help menu. Are your e-books downloaded onto your computer?

I did a quick google search but couldn't find a "how to" guide. I did find this review of the app...

Kindle for Android review - Android Applications - Know Your Mobile

which mentioned this....

The most obvious limitation is that you can only read books that you’ve purchased via Amazon’s Kindle store,
Did you get your e-books from the Kindle Store or elsewhere?

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Uhmm.....maybe?

Your phones are bigger though, aren't they?

Hey, Ron!
As a matter of fact, this phone is bigger than any other. It's a cross between a tablet and a phone.
Uncle

Well, no, I don't have the books on my computer. I have them on my Kindle Fire. I bought them (most free) through WhisperNet, or the
site: eReaderLove | Free and Bargain Books For Your Kindle. This site goes through Amazon. I have that same icon for Kindle under my apps, but my phone has not picked up the bevy of books I have on my Fire. How to sync?

Look at what your article says: "While you can't download onto a tablet or AT&T phone through the Amazon Appstore yet, you can get this through the Android Market on those devices." I have AT&T. What Android Market? OK, I told you I am dense on phones. I have a tablet that is droid and never had any trouble with it. Help, one more time?

Uncle

QUOTE=SLM;1696557]Don't have that phone but there must be some info in how to sync it in the help menu. Are your e-books downloaded onto your computer?

I did a quick google search but couldn't find a "how to" guide. I did find this review of the app...

Kindle for Android review - Android Applications - Know Your Mobile

which mentioned this....

Did you get your e-books from the Kindle Store or elsewhere?[/QUOTE]

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
why would you do that Les? Yanks have libraries too. silly guy.

My honest advice... ask a grandkid to do it. Or a great grandkid. the younger the better. They're killer at making smart phones work. lol.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Hey, Unc, how bout going to a bookstore and trading the gadget for books? Then you can read all you want. :D
Funny, Gil, that you should mention that . I have over 2,000 books in my collection (catalogued) and another 2,000 I trade constantly. It's too bad that Canada's postage is so high (or vice versa) - because I have joined the most fabulous book swap club. I have 20,000 followers! I wheel and deal here: Trade Used Books for Free with PaperBack Swap (the world's largest book swap). Not for Canada though. So, I have many "real" paper books - I love them better than Kindle...it's just with my husband and the doctor's office (the waiting) - the Kindle is convenient and has a different set of books.

I'm sure my granddaughter would be glad to do it. She is a sophomore at Texas Christian University in Ft. Worth. She just slipped through her first semester with a chunk of college credits and a straight A semester, including calculus.

My daughter tried half-heartedly, but she has an Apple and she didn't know what to do. Other than that, I don't know any kids.

Uncle

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's a shame you're so far away. Acquaintances of mine adopted a crack baby who at three years old, can fix any of your tech for you. It's crazy how good he is with tablets and phones. They're frankly scared to let him on PC's.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Sometimes, if you have downloaded ebooks for a specific device, even free book they come wit DRM (Digital Rights Management) copyright thingny......which would mean that the book downloaded for one device will not be seen or read on the other.
You have to download DRM free books.
It happened to my wife and I last year when we first got our Kobos....identical readers...books downloaded with one wouldn't work on the other.
There are several ways to do it, and there are shortcuts I have learned but the simplest is to download drm free books to a folder on your PC then use a program called Calibre ebook management from calibre - E-book management to transfer them to individual devices.
I prefer epub format for ebooks and this program will convert any format to your prefered format. One thing that is good but I find frustrating is that the program has updates about every week.
If you are interested in mystery novels and true crime files in epub format, I have a collection of over 2000 all drm free on a personal online storage at Box.net.......drop me a PM for the URL to the whole collection and you can download them all (2Gigs) or browse and download just the titles or authors you are interested in.
Edit: One thing I found with the KObo anyways is that if I used the drag and drop or copy and paste dirrectly from my PC to the device using a link cable, that the books would be transfered but the device would not see them...(that could be your problem)...
Even with calibre there is aprocedure that i have to follow with the kobo anyway....
Eject with the eject feature on the program, then unplug from your PC without shutting down the device and wait for the device to finish processing the contents of the download before shutting it down or you might not see your books on the reader.

Last edited:

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Sometimes, if you have downloaded ebooks for a specific device, even free book they come wit DRM (Digital Rights Management) copyright thingny......which would mean that the book downloaded for one device will not be seen or read on the other.
You have to download DRM free books.
It happened to my wife and I last year when we first got our Kobos....identical readers...books downloaded with one wouldn't work on the other.
There are several ways to do it, and there are shortcuts I have learned but the simplest is to download drm free books to a folder on your PC then use a program called Calibre ebook management from calibre - E-book management to transfer them to individual devices.
I prefer epub format for ebooks and this program will convert any format to your prefered format. One thing that is good but I find frustrating is that the program has updates about every week.
If you are interested in mystery novels and true crime files in epub format, I have a collection of over 2000 all drm free on a personal online storage at Box.net.......drop me a PM for the URL to the whole collection and you can download them all (2Gigs) or browse and download just the titles or authors you are interested in.
Edit: One thing I found with the KObo anyways is that if I used the drag and drop or copy and paste dirrectly from my PC to the device using a link cable, that the books would be transfered but the device would not see them...(that could be your problem)...
Even with calibre there is aprocedure that i have to follow with the kobo anyway....
Eject with the eject feature on the program, then unplug from your PC without shutting down the device and wait for the device to finish processing the contents of the download before shutting it down or you might not see your books on the reader.
There's just one thing - I don't want over 1000 books on my computer. I bypass that by having them sent directly from Amazon to my Kindle. I am into high fantasy and prehistorical fiction at the moment. I see kinda what you mean, and what I might have to do. I need to log into my Amazon account on my Note. What I am seeing is the storefront and an advertisement. I don't see the login. It's possible I will have to download different books to my Note. I guess this is something I'll have to figure out by myself. Maybe I'll slink over to Kindle and ask how to do it...??

Uncle

There's just one thing - I don't want over 1000 books on my computer. I bypass that by having them sent directly from Amazon to my Kindle. I am into high fantasy and prehistorical fiction at the moment. I see kinda what you mean, and what I might have to do. I need to log into my Amazon account on my Note. What I am seeing is the storefront and an advertisement. I don't see the login. It's possible I will have to download different books to my Note. I guess this is something I'll have to figure out by myself. Maybe I'll slink over to Kindle and ask how to do it...??

Uncle
GOT IT! I was right. You had to log into Amazon, and then it tells you to look in Archives. I bypass the computer with WhisperNet. Don't you use the satellite? I went to one of my books I had been reading, and it even remembered my bookmark in Chapter 12. This will be so cool. I don't even need a Kindle now. I can use my phone to read books if I get stuck for a long time somewhere. WOW.

Uncle

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
GOT IT! I was right. You had to log into Amazon, and then it tells you to look in Archives. I bypass the computer with WhisperNet. Don't you use the satellite? I went to one of my books I had been reading, and it even remembered my bookmark in Chapter 12. This will be so cool. I don't even need a Kindle now. I can use my phone to read books if I get stuck for a long time somewhere. WOW.

Uncle
You will find that reading on your phone, if it work with a back light like my IPhone is hard on the battery, I can read a whole book sometimes two, on the kobo (meaning at least 500 pages "book pages not kobo pages") between recharges... I wouldn't be able to read one tenth of that on my IPhone without recharging......

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It's a shame you're so far away. Acquaintances of mine adopted a crack baby who at three years old, can fix any of your tech for you. It's crazy how good he is with tablets and phones. They're frankly scared to let him on PC's.
hhmm Yeah, that could be freaky alright. A friend of Anna's and my sis-in-law was a crackbaby and she has an adjusted IQ of almost 190. The stuff that she can built is stupefying and she does it without plans or anything. Just gets an idea in her head in the form of pictures and builds. Not only that she can look at something someone else built and picture in her head how it was built. Can't hang onto numbers in her head, though. She compensates for that by having a pad of paper memory handy. :D

digitalbrain

Apr 24, 2013
This is my first smart phone. So far, I've chosen to be dumb. I'm not a phone phreak/but this one is super nice and much like a computer. However, it says you can read Kindle, and I've downloaded the app, but I'll be durned if I can find my books. Anyone else have a Note 2 with Kindle? HELP!

Ya'll get the same phones as we do in Texas...right?

Thanks,

Uncle
oh yes i have recently got qmobile A11 .enjoying android with low price...hmmm that's nice and cheap..