Android

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
I don't understand this Android system at all. My father has an LG android based phone through telus, which I recently upgraded from android 2,2 to 2.3 via the LG update software. I noticed android 4.0 is available, is it possible to upgrade to that from Android 2.3? Android strikes me as extremely complicated. Thanks.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Android is an operating system for phones which usually has to be tailored to the actual hardware by the producer of the phone. You cannot just upgrade to a version of Android that isn't supported by the manufacturer of your phone. LG must provide you with an update for your phone. It isn't up to Google (the developer of Android) to provide updates to your particular hardware. They just make the OS available to LG supposedly free-of-charge. In reality though, nothing about Android is free. Google makes a buck and Microsoft makes a large chunk from royalties.

ericlewis107

Time Out
Aug 20, 2012
Android is an open mobile platform that was developed by Google and defines Android as a "software stack" for mobile phones.

markca

Time Out
Jul 13, 2013
Android is an operating system for phones which usually has to be tailored to the actual hardware by the producer of the phone. You cannot just upgrade to a version of Android that isn't supported by the manufacturer of your phone. LG must provide you with an update for your phone. It isn't up to Google (the developer of Android) to provide updates to your particular hardware. They just make the OS available to LG supposedly free-of-charge. In reality though, nothing about Android is free. Google makes a buck and Microsoft makes a large chunk from royalties.
i agree

aashutoshbaral

Time Out
Jul 14, 2013
I don't understand this Android system at all. My father has an LG android based phone through telus, which I recently upgraded from android 2,2 to 2.3 via the LG update software. I noticed android 4.0 is available, is it possible to upgrade to that from Android 2.3? Android strikes me as extremely complicated. Thanks.
yes ofcourse you can upgrade it to android4.0 or 4.2.2jellybean or any other version you wish to,but your cell phone hardware may not withstand the load so better you dont upgrade because your phone is compatible with 2.2..thanks