Genealogy, Cumberland County, NS

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I am looking for anyone related to the Moore, Thompson and Stewart families of Cumberland County, NS. I would like to obtain information on various family members and photos, etc. of family members.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Try putting just what you wrote - Moore,Thompson, Stewart Families into Google. Often, if someone else in the family is searching or has an on line family tree, you will get to read it. It's worth a search.
I put this in and your family might well be there. Only you would know.

Moore, Thompson, Stewart Family genealogy

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
there is a guy who is a regular on the call-ins on Maritime Noon on cbc radio, who specializes in genealogy. My ancestors are from Hants County, so I can't help you there.
If you go to this screen and scroll down a bit, you'll find the stuff on Terry Punch, he's the guy...he has a pretty good handle on NS genealogy.

Cumberland County is the county with Amherst in it, isn't it? There's probably lots of info available, you might have to narrow it down, though. What community in particular?

http://www.cbc.ca/maritimenoon/phone-in-regulars.html

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Yes, Amherst is in Cumberland County. My family arrived in Cumberland Co., from1764 onwards (Thompson in 1764, Moore in 1790's, Stewart abt 1805, etc.). They were all over Cumberland County, intermarrying with Loyalist families that came up from New York in 1783.

I simply hope to find some relatives that just might have some pictures of my great and great-great grandparents, various cousins, etc. I also have a lot of data to share with anyone that is interested in those family lines.

Thanks for the suggestions about Maritimes radio. Unfortunately, that man is primarily interested in Irish and German immigrants, but I will drop him a line and see if he can't mention my need to be in contact with anyone with information about those families.

Thanks again.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
The Wentworth/Westchester area has lots of Moores.three "tribes" of them in Westchester,Stewarts in Wentworth,and I think one Thompson family in westchester.Phone books might help.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Thanks for the suggestions about Maritimes radio. Unfortunately, that man is primarily interested in Irish and German immigrants, but I will drop him a line and see if he can't mention my need to be in contact with anyone with information about those families.

Thanks again.

Dude, Nova Scotia is primarily Scottish heritage.... Stewart is Scottish.... At least my side of the Stewarts is Scottish. My other side of the family is primarily Irish.

My mother emailed me a PDF file of the Stewart family line about a year ago. Never really took the time to look into it yet.

From Nova Scotia by the way.

I don't think anybody in our family would have photos dating back as far as you're looking for and I don't think my current family would be fond of me sending photos of them across the internet to somebody they don't know..... I know I wouldn't.

But I could send you the PDF if I can locate it.

Small world huh?

Added:

Oh by the way. My more recent family isn't from the area of NS you're looking for. They're from the South Shore, but I'm not sure where they were before that. I know most of the Scottish at one time arrived from Pictou Harbor, which is of course in Pictou County, next door to where you're looking. They have since erected the Hector, which is a replica of the ship that brought most of the Scottish and others to the Americas.

It's possible my family arrived from there or some other means at some other time. There are many Stewarts from all over and not all technically relate.

Eh'heyck *slaps knee*

I just never looked into it in that much detail yet.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Do you have any real old relatives who can relate some stories to you? I have very
strong ties to Cape Breton, and as it turned out a very old aunt who I got to record
information about family and preserve it. She passed away this past summer but
the information that she provided has opened many doors for my sister who is into
the family history thing. Look to the old folks they can tell you all kinds of things that
provide leads.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Do you have any real old relatives who can relate some stories to you? I have very
strong ties to Cape Breton, and as it turned out a very old aunt who I got to record
information about family and preserve it. She passed away this past summer but
the information that she provided has opened many doors for my sister who is into
the family history thing. Look to the old folks they can tell you all kinds of things that
provide leads.

Well I know a good chunk about my Irish side of the family, not just dating back from when we landed in Nova Scotia, but further back when they were in Ireland, and even to a few hundred years before that when my family arrived in Ireland from Spain all the way back in 800 BC....

In mythology

The O'Sullivan clan claimed a descent from the mythological followers of Milesius who were the first Celts to colonize Innis Fáil, their "island of destiny". They had migrated from an area of the northwest coast of Spain which is now known as the province of Galicia. There they had founded a city they called Brigantia. They had remained there for several generations before embarking on the last leg of their odyssey. They arrived in their promised land in approximately the year 800 B.C. They conquered the people that were there at that time, the Firbolg and the Tuatha Dé Danann.
O'Sullivan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know when my mother was interested in that side of the family, she talked with my grandmother and others of the same generation to heard what they had to say.

As for me, I have a pile of old negatives and old photos I've been taking my time in restoring over the years that date back to the turn of the 1900's and a couple of photos I have are before that, based on the clothing and quality of the images...... which are of course from family and ones my mom wanted to know if I could do anything to improve.

My wife's father before he passed away spent a good deal of time following back his family's lines and was part of a genealogy group back in Australia and had a pile of documents and such, which I have yet to see.