Governor General’s New Brunswick Visit

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today marked the start of the visit of Her Excellency The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General of Canada, to New Brunswick. The theme of the Governor General’s visit is to celebrate youth and encourage dialogue. Her Excellency is to be accompanied on the visit by His Excellency Mr. Jean-Daniel Lafond C.C., and Their Excellencies’ daughter, Marie-Éden. Their Excellencies and Marie-Éden are to attend the opening ceremony of the Grand Rassemblement Jeunesse 2009, a youth celebration of Acadian culture.

The Governor General and the vice-regal party are then to visit Le Pays de la Sagouine, a group of actors and artists that seek to teach Canadians about Acadian culture. On the topic of the Acadian celebrations to take place over the next few days, Her Excellency said, “I am among women and men, young people for whom history is a magnificent lesson in perseverance, and that now more than ever is the time to remember that we have agreed to open borders and reject standardized cultures.”

The last day of the Governor General’s visit has Her Excellency presenting six Canadians with the Governor General’s Caring Canadian Award. The Governor General’s Caring Canadian Award recognizes those citizens who, through volunteering, have enriched the lives of those in their community. Recipients have generally never before been awarded a national or provincial honour. The award was created by the late The Right Honourable Roméo LeBlanc P.C., C.C., C.M.M., O.N.B., C.D., the 25th Governor General of Canada.

The Governor General is also set to present The Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award to ten Canadian youth. This awards program, set up 53 years ago by His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh K.G., K.T., G.B.E., O.M., P.C.(U.K.), P.C.(Ca.), A.C., Q.S.O., G.C.L., A.D.C.(P.) (the consort to Her Majesty The Queen of Canada), encourages youth to be active and to embark on new activities and pursue their interests. The Governor General is the national chair of the Canadian branch of the awards program.

Their Excellencies and Marie-Éden are then to host a Governor General’s Youth Dialogue session, a part of Her Excellency’s ‘Can We Talk’ tour of Canada. The Governor General is going to engage youth in a discussion of how the arts can be used as a tool for peace. The Governor General has already engaged the youth of Alberta and Nunavut, and the tour throughout Canada is set to continue to engage youth throughout the nation. The goal of the youth dialogue is for youth to be “encouraged to become catalysts for hope and social transformation in their communities.”

This has been an absolutely fabulous term so far for Her Excellency! Canadians can only hope that the Governor General’s term is extended—there is no constitutional rule for the number of years that a Governor General can serve for, of course. Unfortunately, that seems improbable under the leadership of The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada—he seems to have a ‘tumultuous’ relationship, at best, with Her Majesty’s present viceregal representative. I hope that the prime minister sees the tremendous good that the Governor General has done since Her Excellency’s appointment.

Sources

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Grand Rassemblement Jeunesse 2009

Here is an exerpt of Her Excellency’s speech to Canadians. It seems particularly appropriate that I post this exerpt here today, because I can draw a parellel between the struggles of Acadians to preserve their language and culture against the odds, when we have a discussion elsewhere on the forum of this same struggle for Aboriginal Canadians. The Governor General’s attitude toward this struggle is inspirational, and I think that it would do Canadians good—Canadians of every colour, banner and persuasion—to open their hearts and take Her Excellency’s message and apply it to our discussions here. It sets us up for a tremendously-positive outlook, and a very constructive debate moving forward.

Our youth may yet be the ones who resurrect global decency.

The prouder you are of your origins, culture, language, the history to which you are adding your own pages, the more ready you will be able to go out into the world and find your place in it.

A place that allows you to take up the torch of those who have come before you, yet is filled today, here, now, with your hopes, ideas, experiences, and your daring.

It is up to each of you to make this precious heritage that you have been given your own, to protect it and help it grow.

[...]

I tell myself that the youth of Acadia have the strength of character, determination and creativity of those who first made it what it is by daring to dream and fighting to make those dreams a reality. I tell myself that it is they who are making its search relevant to today’s world.
Source
  • Office of the Secretary to the Governor General | homepagespeech