any other BC families thinking of heading to the Maritimes.?

Mamaonthemove

Feb 3, 2009
hi there, I'am new to this site. I was just wondering if there are any BC families out there who are having a hard time living in this place we have called home for so long. every month it gets harder and harder to stay, and we keep talking about moving. it would be a big move, I have 1 friend who resided in NS, and thats about it. no family nothing, they all came out west eons ago. so we would be packing up and moving in the opposite direction of family and friends. on the up side, my hubby could work less, and we would see him more. and spend some quality time to geather. we would practically not even have a mortgage!!!! its been on our minds for at least 3 years now, and I'am thinking its almost time. were hnging by threads now, just curious to see if there is anyone else.

Mamaonthemove

Feb 3, 2009
Looking for fellow BC'ers who have made the big move!

Hi there, my family and I have been thinking of moving to the maritimes for sometime now. it seems as though it would be a better quality of life for us. right now were stuck, literally with a huge mortage, and no family time. my hubby works like a dog, and we hardley see him, in the meantime we balrey make it each month, just feels like our hard work isnt paying off. we have no family of friends out that way, it would be a huge step for us, and we would be leaving many comforts behind but we thing that it would be a good trade, for a better life for our family. just waondering of anyone else was in our shoes recently and finally made the big move. would like lots of help and advice!!

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Hi there, my family and I have been thinking of moving to the maritimes for sometime now. it seems as though it would be a better quality of life for us. right now were stuck, literally with a huge mortage, and no family time. my hubby works like a dog, and we hardley see him, in the meantime we balrey make it each month, just feels like our hard work isnt paying off. we have no family of friends out that way, it would be a huge step for us, and we would be leaving many comforts behind but we thing that it would be a good trade, for a better life for our family. just waondering of anyone else was in our shoes recently and finally made the big move. would like lots of help and advice!!

I moved at one point in my life from Vancouver to Halifax. Halifax is a great place from about mid July to the end of August. The people are first rate and extremely helpful towards each other (they have to be it's an employment nightmare.

Other than that - don't go. It's dreary and depressing (albeit very cheap for housing)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
hi there, I'am new to this site. I was just wondering if there are any BC families out there who are having a hard time living in this place we have called home for so long. every month it gets harder and harder to stay, and we keep talking about moving. it would be a big move, I have 1 friend who resided in NS, and thats about it. no family nothing, they all came out west eons ago. so we would be packing up and moving in the opposite direction of family and friends. on the up side, my hubby could work less, and we would see him more. and spend some quality time to geather. we would practically not even have a mortgage!!!! its been on our minds for at least 3 years now, and I'am thinking its almost time. were hnging by threads now, just curious to see if there is anyone else.

Go where the work is ... and that ain't east. Alberta or Saskatchewan have work but the housing sucks and the economy is boomtown. It's cheaper to buy a mobile in BC and truck it across the mountains than it is to rent anything there.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Hello and welcome to Canadian Content, Mamaonthemove. We always enjoy seeing new faces here.

Just want to let you know that your two threads have been merged into one - it'll be easier for everyone to find where to reply to you on this subject if there isn't two on the go at once.

Hope you enjoy yourself here!

Zan

InNovaScotia

Feb 22, 2009
Dartmouth
I am in Halifax/Dartmouth. Don't come. Go somewhere else. I have been looking to get out of this one-horse town for about three years now.

Employment wise, the unions have this place more like a cult than a modern city. It is like we are living in Queen Victoria's day.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
BC is a big province. I'd think about looking around first before making such a drastic move.

mit

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2008
SouthWestern Ontario
If you have skills that are in demand in the Chatham/Windsor Ontario area there are some great real estate deals. 3 bedroom ranch home in the country - 3.4 acres of land - 40x60 heated shop - paved drive - $184,000 - Wartime houses on a nice lot can be bought for less than $50,000 right in Windsor - My mother-in-laws house - 4 bedrooms - deep 2 car garage with a full loft - close to town and church and schools $130,000 no real estate fees in Tilbury.
Close to some of the best fishing and boating - 2 great lakes - Metropolitan Detroit - mega shopping malls in Port Huron - Warm most of the time - This year has been great for snowmobilers - Still lots of places to hunt deer - ducks/geese - rabblts - Rednecks and cosmopolitans drink at the same bars and enough backroads to let you keep your licence on the way home from the bar.
Good luck finding a job though!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Is your husband the sole breadwinner? Did you buy too big a house? What happened? While I love the Maritimes, I don't think there is anything magic there. From what I've read, jobs are scarce so I don't think just getting rid of most of your mortgage is going to solve all the problems you seem to have. It might be an idea to get into smaller house or a condo where you are now that could give you a bit more breathing space at the end of the month.

Diarygirl

Electoral Member
Oct 28, 2008
Newfoundland
Hi and welcome to CC Mamaonthemove...it's bad timing for moving across the country. When I lived in NS, (a few years back), there was plenty of opportunity but like the others said, the opportunites aren't what they were. Today, it's getting hard everywhere you go. It's a tough decision to make especially with a family to move. I would do the complete search before making the decision if it were me. Try the job hunt and cost of living hunt, etc. before you and hubby actually concur! All the best!! :)