Sunday Shopping Now Allowed in NS. Thoughts?

Liliput

Oct 3, 2006
I's a Bluenoser, Baby!
Sobey's won the battle over sunday shopping. The supreme court ruled in their favour. You can read an article about it here [ http://www.novascotiabusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?iid=1885&sid=14408 ] probably cbc.ca has info on it too. So... we are now going to have sunday shopping in the province, what are your thoughts on the matter? Good idea, bad? pointless? profittable or not?

Personally, I'd rather not have sunday shopping but I can see why many people would want to. Shift workers or folks who only have sunday to get groceries, batteries, sneakers, etc will likely find this more handy. I don't think businesses will find it generates more revenue for them. It will likely just spread the same consumer's dollar over more days. With the added expense of sunday wages, and such I would not be surprised if they find they are not making as much money as they were when they were open six days a week.
Guess we'll see.

cheers

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's about time NS joined the rest of North America with Sunday shopping. I can't see anything but good happening from the court's decision:)

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
It here it's and we have to accept it, will I shop on Sundays hell no but I'm okay with it. I hate Walmart 24/7 so it's a non-issue.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I'm so against it!!

Living in Ontario, I hate Sunday Shopping!!

Before we had it I thought it was a good idea. I had nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon , as well my week was hectic and having an extra day to do things sounded great.

The reality is not so great!! The week never ends, Roads are just as busy Sunday as Monday...People are stressed the same on Sunday as Thursday..never down time...no good familt time (someone has to work..wife..you or one of your kids)

Welcome to the 24/7 world Nova Scotia..you should have locked the door!!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't know what the fuss is about.

If you don't want to shop on Sunday, don't. On the other hand, now when I go to Halifax on the weekend, I will spend some of my money there, as opposed to before, when I wouldn't.

What I like is, the option. If I'm halfway through baking a pie, and find out I forgot to buy something, I can get it. If I tear the water heater apart, and find that I'm missing a left handed bobble hanger, I can run out and get it.

For people who work, and have kids, it's not always easy to have time for picking up necessities. Sunday shopping makes it possible to get things that wasn't possible before.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Tenpenny I can't get past the Pie part, any pictures of you making pies?? For shiftworkers, Sunday may be the only day they have to shop. NS has grown up and lost her baby teeth.