Actual economy of Nova Scotia/Maritimes?

wannabecanadian

Nov 16, 2005
Stuck for now in Ohio
I'm hoping some of you can give me a bit of insider info regarding the reality of the economy in Nova Scotia (specifically Halifax) and the maritimes region. My dh and I dream of moving to Halifax, or possibly Charlottetown, St. John, or other small maritime city, but want to know what the realities are. The Canadian news pretty much writes them off as viable options, yet we have visited several times and not walked away with the same impressions. Halifax, Moncton, Charlottetown...they are all seem brimming with life and vibrancy, but is it just a tourist's dream?

We are not cut-throat, want-to-get-ahead type corporate people; we really just want a simple, outdoors-based lifestyle that provides us with the basics and some niceties but not necessarily anything extravagant. My dh is in the energy business; he's not an engineer but does marketing and technical writing and works closely with the engineers and VPs. We are completely, madly in love with Nova Scotia and PEI, and feel totally at home there, and although we are willing to take risks, we do have a family and we are at the point in our lives where we have be to be fairly certain that "real" job opportunities exist.

Can anyone who lives in the region offer insight into the opportunites that exist in the area? I'd appreciate any input into helping us make this huge decision. Moving to Canada is a definite for us (providing our PR application is approved), but the location remains a question for us. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

capebretoner

Dec 6, 2005
Halifax
www.hosernews.ca
RE: Actual economy of Nov

Yes there is work in NS, however I am not sure exactly what there would be for you....

I work as an engineer and there are numerous opportunities in the area, after I graduated I had to wait a whole 4 days before I got a call for an interview.... and then started working right away. However that is mostly because I spent my spare time in the industry and gained a lot of contacts

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

I think its one of those misnomers too that the Maritimes are nothing but a handout state.

First off, i have family in Charlottetown. They are all doing quite nicely. One works at the telephone company, the other drives cab and one is married to the guy who owns Sleemans...they are all doing quite comfortably.

The tourism industry is quite prosperous. There are plenty of jobs as well. The cost of living..in many ways, even though they have GST and PST, i find actual items cheaper than here in alberta where we only have GST. The cost of living is higher in Alberta i think at least.

I love the maritimes. If i had a chance, i would move there in a heartbeat just for a slower way of life. I do not think its a pipedream for you. If you want a simpler more relaxed life, there are plenty of opportunities for you. And the culture is great. Good music, great food, lots to do if you want to. Plenty of places to travel to get away. Friendly people.

Keep in mind though, for those that work in the seasonal type jobs, than yah, its an issue. You can only coal or fish or what not for so long before the winter hits. But Canadas unemployment has transitions for seasonal workers. And YOU PAY into that on your paycheque, so its not a handout like some people suggest.

At one time the maritimes was probably not the best place to want to live as people were leaving. But now i hear its quite good.

wannabecanadian

Nov 16, 2005
Stuck for now in Ohio
Thanks to you both for your input. We've visted the area several times and have been so impressed by the people, the beauty, the music and the very spirit in the air, the opportunites for the type of lifestyle we long for, and yet the news does make it seem like we'd live in imminent poverty if we decide to make it our home. This is in stark contrast to what we've seen, but again, seeing a place through the eyes of a tourist (even one who is searching for "home") can be quite different than the realities. Thanks again! :)

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

There is no more poverty than anywhere else in the world. In fact, there is probably least because you will probably not live in an area where the spirit of giving is as high. Martimers do not leave their own to cut and dry. There are plenty of opportunities. Don't let the central Canadian biased media discourage you from doing what you dream of....

Good luck to ya! I am sure you won't regret it. But do your research.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There is a lot of opportunity in the maritimes, and it's a great place to live and raise a family. One of our friends bailed out of Boston as a corporate lawyer to come home; another left a VP of Fujitsu Consulting; there's lots of things to do.

When you say your dh is in the energy business, marketing, what do you mean? Marketing to consumers, or industry? To some degree, what you want to do will have an impact on where you go.

Saint John is a fairly industrial, but nice, city. Moncton is more light industry / commercial; Halifax is very much a bustling government/light industry/commercial city, but I find Halifax is starting to suffer the social problems that come with 400,000 people. Charlottetown is pleasant, but I find everything on PEI gets very quiet and slow come Labour Day...

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
I live in Calgary but am originally from Nova Scotia. Don't sugar coat the wonderful economy, etc. Atlantic Canada's biggest export? People to the rest of Canada....especially young people who need better opportunities to make a future for themselves.

Sure, there's great things about the Atlantic Canada. The economy can be 'ok' if you have a secure job. The education system is good. Health care is so-so. It has a rich history and vibrant culture. Lots going for it but the economy and the hopes of young people is not one of them.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I am an economic refugee as well, as are most of my friends from high school and one of my brothers. Out of my graduating class (UNB Civil Eng.), most did not have many career options within the province, and I would say half left for greener pastures, another quarter got employment in non-engineering related positions. Of course, that was a bad time economically, for the whole country but even more in the Maritimes. One of these days I'd love to make it back.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I just had 2 friends move back from Halifax because there was nothing but minimum wage jobs. The cost of living is quite high, food is more expensive than in Vancouver (except lobster and radishes apparently), so do your research before making any permanent moves.

The one thing my friends commented on was hearing from several Nova Scotians is that they hate development and it's so sad that our kids have to leave the province to find work. Most people in a position of power there who have a kid graduating will keep a spot open, lots and lots of nepatism.

I lived there myself for a year back in the 80's, great place to visit, loved my time there, we were one of the lucky ones. I hope to return one day soon.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Sure, there's great things about the Atlantic Canada. The economy can be 'ok' if you have a secure job. The education system is good. Health care is so-so. It has a rich history and vibrant culture. Lots going for it but the economy and the hopes of young people is not one of them.

The same can be said about Alberta. Sure, he economy is hot...if you have a job in the sectors that are hot. And for the most part, we can't give away our jobs. But if you are not in that sector, its minimum wage crap, the cost of living in Alberta is not that much better than the rest of the country, our healthcare that we have to pay additional premiums on is shitty, our education is underfunded with high class size. The poor in this province don't just get by..they scrape buy.

So yah, the grass in not greener on the other side of the fence either. It's what you do with your life.

Liliput

Oct 3, 2006
I's a Bluenoser, Baby!
Having lived in alberta and nova scotia, and travelled through several other provinces...I say this, they are basically all the same. If you live in a subdivision, its just a subdivision. We don't live in mud floor shanties here in NS and people in Alberta don't all live in diamond encrusted mansions. Every province has poverty, and every province has wealth.

I know this post is old, so you may have changed your mind. However, if you are serious about wanting to move here, I suggest you look into various jobs and maybe take a long vacation here that involves some job hunting, just to see whats out there ... especially if you have a few contacts or such before arriving. Look into what is required for immigration. There is a website called British Expat, they have a whole section on immigrating to Canada and lots of people who have done so and can help with the steps... even if you aren't british. http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/canada/index.php?sid=5aa0cb1a6e44da1551e1e785d55717ad

True we don't have oil jobs falling out of the sky, but we have a fair demand for teachers, medical personale, and other sectors. Job opportunites really depends on what you are trained in. Here are some links that might help you determine if its viable for you or not:

http://www.jobfutures.ca/

http://jobbank.gc.ca/

http://skillsns.ednet.ns.ca/

You ask a big question, so its rather difficult to answer. If you have a job, you can live quite nicely. You can afford food, a car etc... sometimes people make it sound like we all live on pogey and share one beat up old truck amongst all the townsfolk where as everyone else in the country drive porches and eat 4 course meals served to them on gold platters.
Housing tends to be cheaper than other provinces, in part because we don't have a huge city that drives up housing in surrounding areas. Try www.mls.ca if you want to look at housing prices across the country.
Food is more expensive. In the annapolis valley most meats [fish/steak/chicken] run around the $4/lb. Chicken legs/thighs can usually be found for under $2-$3/lb. Drumsticks are almost always dirt cheap. Shrimp is usually $10-15/kg, You can find mussels dirt cheap when in season, no more than $1/lb. Lobster depends on how good the season was. Scallops can be found $8-10/lb in season, sometimes cheaper, best place to buy them is from the fish monger with the truck on the side of the road, VERY fresh. Canned tuna less that $1.18..I refused to pay more than $1.10 and my cupboard is stocked with the stuff. Peppers for some reason are expensive, tho this season have frequently been on sale. lettuce $1-2, Frozen veggies vary from $1/kg and up. Local farmers markets have cheap veggies, lots of people have their own veggie patch. We don't have the vast variety of choice you would find in large population areas but lately I have noticed more options and speciality items on the shelves. heaps and heaps of U-Pick farms for anything from strawberries to plums. Also lots of local farms sell direct, you've probably seen many a small cart loaded with berries or squash at the bottom of driveways with a cashbox bolted to it.
If you have any farming experience or a willingness to learn you could do very well for a family raising a few yearling beef every spring than putting them in your freezer come late fall. Maybe raise some chickens. Farm fresh eggs seem to sell very well. We for some unknown reason have very few sheep farmers, maybe their is not a market for it or maybe no one thinks to raise them... or goats. Personally I have a gut feeling they are going to be a fast growing market as more Asian/Middle Eastern immigrants come to Canada. BUT I am not in the farming industry, so I couldn't say for sure.

Housing rentals in my area range from 400-800/month utilities included are variable. For apartments often, for renting a home not so much.
My power bill is about $125/month. We live in a generic split-level home that you would find in any subdivision built in the 70's/80's
I have hot water/oil heating which runs be about $2000 a year, give or take a few hundred depending on how cold the winter is. That is on an old 25+ year furnance. Just replaced it this spring, so winter heating may be less. Lets see ... my house insurance is about 400/yr. Car is about 55/month ... I have a drilled well, so don't have any water bill. My property tax is about $650/yr ... but I live outside of town, in town they are higher. Depends on which town you are in ... you can usually find the assessment rates on the town's website or phone the town clerk and they would be able to tell you.

A basic medical plan from blue cross is about $80/month. If you find work, your company may have a group medical plan. I disagree with the poster who said out medical services were "so-so" Halifax has several large hospitals, including a children's hospital, the valley also has a few, one very large and nice one known as the valley regional. Our wait times are no different than other provinces. Sometimes less, sometimes more. My mother has been waiting a year to see a knee surgeon but when my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer, he had surgery two weeks later.
We could use more family doctors, especially in the rural areas and smaller towns outside the city but I don;t know anyone who does not have one. It just usually takes a couple of weeks to get a non-urgent appointment.

There are lots of outdoors things to do, depends on what you like.

Frankly, we live at the same level everyone else lives. The one thing I would say is our youth have a harder time getting those entry level post education positions at good wages. Which is sad and something I wish our governement would work harder on changing that.

So yeh, life is good here in my opinion. Its not perfect, can not find good beef jerky to save my life... one of the things I really miss about Alberta. Retail items tend to be higher here, but we have Frenchy's. Personally I find it all balances out. My relatives in Ontario live in a larger house and make more money [about 2x as much, they make well over 100k] but they don't own a newer more fancy car or take endless vacations or have money-stuffed pillows. They basically are living the same lifestyle we are here, only they have more access to a large city.

if you are making a gross of $40k plus you can live a normal middle-class lifestyle here. You'll get to grouch about taxes, complain that you never know when your money goes but are still able to pay for your kids school supplies and class trips and summer soccer, take the hubby out for a drink and see a movie and buy a new frock once in a while. You'll hate the gas prices but still be able to get where you need to. Your kids won't go to school with nothing but a butter sandwich... tho you can pretty much count on someone in the class having had no breakfast at home and having nothing more than that butter sandwich for lunch. Thankfully just about every school has a breakfast club where kids can get something to eat.

Oh and if you smoke, quit before you come ... our cigs are over $7 a pack if I am not mistaken. VERY expensive cigarettes. Which myself, have no problem with but eh, I'm not a smoker.

As I've said above, we do have poverty... real poverty.... but I don't know any place that doesn't. Only places where they don't want to see it.

I hope this helps a bit more on what it is really like here. Ultimately whether you like it, will depends on what you are expecting to find here. Research research research is my best advice.

Personally, I hope it works in your favour and you decide to make the move.
Cheers and best of luck

herringchoker

Feb 8, 2007
I left Halifax for Alberta 10 years ago and was very bitter about it. Alberta is nice but its a job. Your life is your job. You live there because of the job. Houses are retarded price. I made over $100k a year and still found it expensive. I have no idea how anyone lives there who isn't in oil and gas.

I finally left last year trying to get to NS. I only made it as far as Ontario but, I'll keep plugging and I'll get there eventually. I hope I never have to go back west. Its a treeless, waterless desert. Wait until the next recession to buy a house there when oil prices crash.....and they will eventually. They always do. Its way overpriced right now.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
Its a treeless, waterless desert

Treeless? There speaks someone who has never driven from Calgary to Vancouver...during the first few hours of the drive you enjoy the beauty of the mountains and forests, but by the 10th hour you may just find yourself wishing to see the end of the treeline!

Wait until the next recession to buy a house there when oil prices crash.....and they will eventually.

Oil prices could still drop quite a bit, but with all that is going on in the world with terrorism, Iraq, Afganistan and Iran (not to mention the push on the envioronment) I do not think you will see an oil price crash like there was in the eighties again....it could drop below the price that makes the oil sand a viable prospect though......

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
dunno bout the other maritimes but there's not much in the way of jobs in newfoundland. if u can get one, go there and stay till u retire. it's a good place.

herringchoker

Feb 8, 2007
Hahaha......I've done the Calgary to Van drive many times. Its awesome no doubt. Too bad most of Alberta didn't look more like the foothills/Rockys than it does like Saskatchewan. Oh well its just not for me. I need water and forests nearby. Its a qaulity of life decision for me.

Regarding the oil price thing. Anyone who's in Alberta and lives as though this high oil and tons of work is going to last forever is going to end up in big trouble. A $17/barrel crash 10 years ago is $39/barrel now. I understand why people leave the East coast to go there. I had to leave for the same reasons. It's just not a great place to live for anything besides working. Its no different to living in Toronto. Most people who leave the east coast end up at the Atlantic Trap with a bunch of other east coasters wishing something would change and they could go home.

Although it sounds like I'm bashing Alberta, I'm not. I'm trying to be honest so that people don't take off west looking for gold paved roads. Those days are for the people already there and have bought homes already working in Oil and Gas. Everyone else is on the outside looking in. Thats the reality. Sorry is that sounds harsh. Ask a family trying to get a downpayment together on a $350,000 starter home that is nothing more than a 2 storey trailer packed in a sub division like its a sardine box. Its a retarded way of living. Ask the working homeless. I owe Alberta alot but, its nothing today like it was 5 years ago.

patrice2007

Mar 25, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I moved to Edmonton Alberta May 2006 from NS. So far the only thing I see that is any good here are the jobs other than that I hate it.
I will probably work for a few more years here, save some money for a downpayment on a home in NS and move back where people are friendly. Most of the Edmontonians I have met are always bitching and complaining about nothing. They are not very friendly here and the woman seem to rule the men. Anyway I am sick of it here myself. Can't wait to leave.

2Kool4school

Apr 1, 2007
I definatly think the future is bright for the Maritimes. Just doing some research i came up with these articles.

Upside growth potential for Nova Scotia's economy, says RBC Economics

TORONTO, March 30 /CNW/ - Nova Scotia's economy remains healthy with
expected growth of 2.4 per cent for 2007, and the potential for stronger
growth in the next couple of years, according to a provincial economic
forecast released today by RBC.
"Receiving conditional environmental approval to build a $4.5 billion
petrochemical plant and an LNG receiving terminal in Goldsboro could have a
substantial impact on the province," said Craig Wright, vice-president and
chief economist, RBC. "While the project still has to go through a number of
other approvals, the effects of as many as 3,000 construction jobs and roughly
600 permanent positions could be significant."
The recent federal budget provided some tax relief for prospective LNG
terminals. Prior to the budget LNG facilities were eligible for a capital cost
allowance rate of four per cent and the proposed change doubles this figure.
The new rate applies to certain eligible assets going forward and should help
boost Canada's competitiveness in attracting these types of large-scale
investments.
While Nova Scotia was the only province to register a decline in job
creation for 2006, the report noted that sizeable job gains are being realized
in several service sector industries, which should benefit consumer spending.
For the overall Canadian economy, RBC forecasts that the gap between
growth in the more heavily resource based provinces and central Canada will
narrow over 2007-08. Newfoundland and Labrador will be the leader this year
with growth of four per cent followed by Alberta at 3.6 per cent. Prince
Edward Island and Ontario will be at the back of the pack, each with growth
rates of about two per cent.
The RBC Economics Provincial Outlook assesses the provinces according to
economic growth, employment growth, unemployment rates, personal income
growth, retail sales, housing starts and the Consumer Price Index.
According to the report (available online as of 8 a.m. E.D.T., at
www.rbc.com/economics/market/pdf/provfcst.pdf), provincial forecast details
are as follows: