Anyone here from Saint John, NB

hairball

Jul 25, 2005
Vancouver
Would appreciate hearing from you all about your beautiful City, especially with advice on
- good location to live
- places to go, entertainment
- job and economy
- etc, whatever comes to your mind

Is Union St/Dorchester St located in downtown area? Is it a bustling commercial or residential area?

Best regards

hairball

Jul 25, 2005
Vancouver
hi p106_peppy

I know Rothsay is expensive and classy place to live if you have the money.

Can you give your views on Saint John. Is it a bad area with lots of crimes? Where is a good place to rent say $500 - $600 a month?

hairball

Jul 25, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks manda, guess y'all know that we've high crime rates here in lotusland. :oops:

Can anyone tell how much it costs to register for medicare in New Brunswick?

Can I use my BC driving license in NB?

Hope to hear you all soon.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
:) I've lived in Saint John forever,so I have the knowledge on the place. Union & Dorchester, as a place to live-NO WAY! Union used to be part of the uptown business area, but today there are only a number of bars along it's stretch. Dorchester used to be where all the major whorehouses existed,now torn down and nothing to replace them.4 to 5 hundred a month would get you a decent rental on the West Side. Your driver's license is good here for a fewe months,but you have to change over to ours eventually. Medicare cardsare isssued free here,probably you'd have to contact them and get a replacement. There are jobs,too,but mostly in the Call Center industry..but that depends of your range of skills .The major employer here is The Irving Group[refineries,newspaper,machines shops,ship chandlers,gas stations,convenience stores,building supplies[just about any industry you can think of..Irving has control of it]

hairball

Jul 25, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks missile :D
Wow y'all are lucky. We've to cough out monthly for our carecard:
$54 for one person
$96 for a family of two
$108 for a family of three or more

I would appreciate you views on the following area please:
- Olive Street (for living)
- Garden St (for living)
- Ritchie St (for living)
- Waterloo St (for living)
- Atlantic Av (for working)

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
hairball said:
Thanks missile :D
Wow y'all are lucky. We've to cough out monthly for our carecard:
$54 for one person
$96 for a family of two
$108 for a family of three or more

I would appreciate you views on the following area please:
- Olive Street (for living)
- Garden St (for living)
- Ritchie St (for living)
- Waterloo St (for living)
- Atlantic Av (for working)
Olive St. is over on my side of the river..very quiet & lots of greenery all around it. Nice houses,too. Very few houses on Garden[mostly just a thruway to get to Rothesay Ave,,lots of traffic]Waterloo St...lots of beautiful houses on one end,but some dilapidated wrecks on the other,but the part leading on to Union is pretty nice & you are right uptown[near the market and the 2 Shopping Centers] Ritchie is also an iptown area and is nice enough[less traffic,tho]On Atlantic Ave? Businesses? It is a very short street that crosses the bottom of Westmoreland Avenue and I only remember there being 3 0r 4 houses along it. But,in that same area,there are quite a few small to mid sized business-Monument Sales,Insurance brokers,a medical Clinic,Credit Union,etc. Oh,if you choose Olive..don't move into the large hovel on the corner of Prince & Olive.I wouldn't force a skunk to live there!i keep wondering why the City hasn't forced its removal!!

hairball

Jul 25, 2005
Vancouver
Good morning missile :)
Oh,if you choose Olive..don't move into the large hovel on the corner of Prince & Olive.I wouldn't force a skunk to live there!i keep wondering why the City hasn't forced its removal!!
Are you referring to this corner? Please see the map on this link
[size=1]http://uk.multimap.com/map/...&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=1&scale=5000[/size]

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Can't access it! Sorry! Think the address is 311 to 315 Prince St.West. I was sort of shocked to notice that there is at least 3 people living in it,as there are very few windows left ,no front steps,no foundation,etc.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
There was a major fire next door to it last year and the Olive St.Garage burned to the ground..vacant building and kids or squatters set it .We were hoping that this dump was the one burned!

hairball

Jul 25, 2005
Vancouver
you're a kind soul, missile.

1) can you name a few streets in the West Side.
Is it the area from Market Pl to Lancaster Ave and Duke St W to St John St?

2) what is this area called? from Union St to Broad St, and Water St to Crown St?

3) for $60k to $100k, what is a good residential place to buy?

http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=-7353000.5939505&Y=5633000.39088077&width=500&height=300&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&db=CA&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=25000&up.x=186&up.y=3

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
No problem. On the West near me is Winslow,Tower,Charlotte,Watson,Duke W.,Market Place,St.John is a long,long St-from St.Pat's School down to the docks[I'm on Rodney between Watson and Ludlow-whixh runs from St.John St. to Prince St. I noticed at least 3 houses for sale on Olive St & nice ones,too. Sure that most of them would run in the price range you mentioned. Question #2. those streets would be called part of the uptown core. most of the houses there are multi family and owned by absentee owners. As long as you keep away from King,Charlotte,King E.,you're out of the Heritage Preservation area and not subject to the silly rules about keeping the properties like they were when originally built[and they're darn expensive,too. I've seen some rents in the uptown area at 1200 per month!Hope I've been a bit of help.

hairball

Jul 25, 2005
Vancouver
Thank you very much, missile. :D You’ve help me a great deal. It’s almost like a virtual tour in verbal instructions to the various street directions. All I need now is to sit down and go through the street map and remember all that you have said.

Hope you have a nice weekend. We’ve a long weekend here as Monday is BC Day, with fireworks sponsored by HSBC Celebrations since last week.

Warm regards.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Holiday here,too..but for some odd reason,we call it NB Day. Like the old music hall tune,"Everyday is a holiday with me". Does your browser have the map feature where you just type in an address and get a map showing all the routes to the area? Mine does, and it is helpful.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I can give you a couple of real estate agents...what are you looking for? Where will you be working, how far do you want to commute????

Millidgeville is a nice part of town, but can be pricey depending on what you're looking for.