Anti Chinese Actions

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Over 100 young Chinese students attending our local university have reported certain incidents involving eggs thrown at them and rottten fruit tossed.Add in the usual racial slurs and we have ourselves a nasty little situation here. I have seen many groups of these students here and on the whole,they are very pleasant and well mannered and eager to learn. Here's hoping the police do their jobs and arrest a few of those yahoos who are harrasing the Asians.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
A good punishment for dickheads like that is to send them over to China for a year and live with the same discrimination to learn what it's like to be picked on for no bloody reason.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Another incident last night,a Chinese student had a container of ice cubes thrown at her[probably the dregs from a Big Gulp!].I am 100%certain that we would be not treated this way if visiting China.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Believe it! I would be very careful about opening my big mouth over there. They just stopped the internet and put blocks against any Western journalists working in China.Even bloggers have to register with the govt or stay off the Net.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
On the other hand, archaeologists who have been in China looking at the dinosaurs there are gushing about how well they are treated once they past the government red tape. That's likely closer to the situation university students are in when they come here, being a long-term academic situation, so the way the students are being treated here becomes even more embarrassing.

Prejudice against foreign students is even stupider and more self-defeating than most prejudice. They pay a lot more tuition, so they are helping to keep rates down for other students. They are going to be the educated ones who have the most effect on which way their country goes in the future, so treating them well will benefit us 20 years from now.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Here in Surrey I've had the misfortune to hear white canadians complain that the indo canadians are buying up their (white canadians) land and houses and tearing down the houses and building horrible monster homes.

The white canadians feel they are being pushed out of their communities and dislike finding themselves a minority.
the indo Canadians are buying land and building houses...they are tearing down crappy little former crack shacks....and building large multi family homes.

I think that many white Canadians feel threatened when they find themselves surrounded by people of different colours. They are uncomfortable being the minority. They prefer to be the majority. They've been the majority for sooo long and apparently for most change is difficult and therefore to be mistrusted.

Rather then learn from these experiences...they become defensive....and complain.

On the mainland you will hear Vancouver being referred to as Hongcouver. Which is really funny since Vancouver's asian population is mostly Japanese. Richmond is mainly chinese. Most people can't be bothered to learn to tell the difference.

Surrey has the highest Indian population outside of India. Yet it also has an Fijian, Pakistani, Philipian, Iraqi, Iranian, Armenian, etc.etc population. Yet I've been asked how I can "stand to live in Surrey with all the expletive indians there". I usually respond with " Cause I was raised to see beyong my own nose, thank you very much"

There is a real small mindedness to some people. I think it's unfortunate that others don't realize how marvelous it is to be able to talk with people from all over the world and hear stories and learn about traditions and customs from far off lands.

It's like traveling the world. The only difference is that the friends I make are easier to stay in contact with....

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
missile said:
Over 100 young Chinese students attending our local university have reported certain incidents involving eggs thrown at them and rottten fruit tossed.Add in the usual racial slurs and we have ourselves a nasty little situation here. I have seen many groups of these students here and on the whole,they are very pleasant and well mannered and eager to learn. Here's hoping the police do their jobs and arrest a few of those yahoos who are harrasing the Asians.

I'm sorry to say that Pei high school students caused some immigrants that owned a local resturant the same kind of problems. They and the resturant were pelted with snowballs and iceballs, food, garbage and whatever the little punks could get their hands on. these poor people ended up closing the resturant and returning to China. It is a most unfortunate situation that these people have suffered at our hands, but unfortunately, they don't see that many of these brats are disrespectful to everyone, and not just those of different racial background. I think a good healthy dose of reform school would help matters improve, and quickly

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
What is really sad about the attacks here is this: the victims are all young,pretty, and small chinese women who are the targets. I can't understand why any red blooded male would hurt them!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I live in the area where the students live and go to university, and i'm disgusted and pissed off about it. I used to live right in the middle of the area where most of the students live, and when out for walks would often say "ni hao" to the students....which usually brought lots of giggles, but a smile and a "hello" back....

I'm willing to bet that the people doing this are 16-20 year olds, and they need a big smack on the head. It's emabarrassing and insulting to the rest of us who live here. If I witness anything like this, I'll be getting license plate numbers and doing what I can. It's totally unacceptable.

Jamieedwards

Feb 14, 2006
northampton u.k
I unfortunately have a minor disagreement with all of your statements. I live in the UK and seven weeks ago while walking back from a friends dorm in my local university i was set upon and injured badly by chinese students , i had three broken ribs and damged vision to my right eye as well as cuts and bruises. I had done nothing to provoke the said individuals , however i do not hate their culture what i do hate is that these people set on me because i am fat. They kept saying fat is bad fat is bad over and over as they kicked me and humiliated me, but this is not the worse part by far during the stuggle i grappled one of the boys to the floor and using my elbow and forarm shattered his pelvis and was investigated for racial assault hows that for justice?

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Providing that this is true, that's bullshit. A simple fight shouldn't be considered a race crime. It's a fight. That happens.

... Now getting eggs and buckets of ice hurled at you from cars... when these things are ONLY happening to Chinese people.. That is a race crime.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: Anti Chinese Actions

Twila said:
I think that many white Canadians feel threatened when they find themselves surrounded by people of different colours. They are uncomfortable being the minority. They prefer to be the majority. They've been the majority for sooo long and apparently for most change is difficult and therefore to be mistrusted.

Of course they feel threatened, but rightfully so. Being one of those damn Indos I couldn't even fathom living in Surrey or Bramladesh (Brampton) here in the GTA. Caucasians have slowly learned to be accomodating and inclusive of other cultures. They are not perfect mind you.

Can you imagine how white populations would fare in India and China and Iran, Egypt and so on? Do you think those populations would allow you do drastically change the society already in place? Do you think they would welcome you into their neighbourhoods and at the workplace?

Whites have learned how to manage being the majority, other cultures haven't. When other ethnic groups become the majority in a community, they tend to cater to only their own kind. They don't know how to be the majority in a multicultural society.

My parents left India to live in Canada, not to build a chillier version of the place. What is wrong with Canada as it is? Why must it change? Why can't we retain the Canadian way of life, it must be pretty good otherwise why would all these folk come?

I can understand how many Caucasians feel. Rather than enhancing and adding to current communities, ethnic groups are invading and taking over.

It is easy to criticize whites, almost all worldwide migration has been to traditional Caucassian nations.

Do you really think racism is one way? You only hear what the whites say cause they say it in English/French. When you understand the other languages, you see how racists non-whites are too. I would say more so than whites.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Jamieedwards said:
I unfortunately have a minor disagreement with all of your statements. I live in the UK and seven weeks ago while walking back from a friends dorm in my local university i was set upon and injured badly by chinese students , i had three broken ribs and damged vision to my right eye as well as cuts and bruises. I had done nothing to provoke the said individuals , however i do not hate their culture what i do hate is that these people set on me because i am fat. They kept saying fat is bad fat is bad over and over as they kicked me and humiliated me, but this is not the worse part by far during the stuggle i grappled one of the boys to the floor and using my elbow and forarm shattered his pelvis and was investigated for racial assault hows that for justice?

If what you're saying is true, then there's soemthing wrong. If you, as a single person, was "set upon" by a group of students, then the police would have figured that out, wouldn't they?

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Re: RE: Anti Chinese Actions

As usual Dasfx, you're a beacon of (un)common sense and seemingly devoid of bias. You're getting a beer in the mail!

The people who are attacking these chinese students should be brought up on charges of verbal or physical assault, or harassment. I don't really agree with charging people with "hate crimes" because that implies double standards within the law. Assaulting someone because you don't like their hat is the same as assaulting someone because you don't like their skin, or accent. All crimes should be treated the same.

Jamieedwards

Feb 14, 2006
northampton u.k
I would not lie about something as serious as what has happend for one . two in the u.k you can be called a racist for practically anyting. i came on to share an experience not be branded a liar.

Jamieedwards

Feb 14, 2006
northampton u.k
Oh and tenpenny just so you know i came out with minor injuries just three broken ribs and blurry vision in my right eye as well as a few cuts etc like i said i shattered a pelvis thats classed as grievious bodily harm. Basically i wrecked my chances of justice by fighting back