LNG PLANT

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The big topic in our city is the sweetheart deal our Mayor reached while dealing with the Irvings on their proposed LNG plant.The city will receive 500 thousand per year for 25 years. While the city does need the money desperately,most of us feel we could have gotten a better,more lucrative deal and that the mayor shouldn't have circumvented council and the city attorney in doing the deal.Maine recently voted down a proposed LNG facility-even though it would have brought them 1 million per year in taxes. myself,I worry more about the location of our plant[inside city limits] and all the possible effects this may have on our already endangered environment.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
hey missile - where is the plant located? it's not down by the waterfront is it? remember where the old oil burning plant use to be? (i use to live in halifax a long time ago)....although i would imagine that area is now high end housing.

i don't understand why they don't harness either wind or use the bay of fundy for more power. it has always amazed me the 'sweetheart' deals that constantly go on with the irvings. very scary - but such same ol' stuff. when will they wake up to some fundamental changes? i guess irvings basically run the maritimes anyways, although i thought they had backed off some of their interests. update me!

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Yeah, I heard that on the Radio. The Irving co. pretty much told the mayor that if they don't get the tax reduction that they will take their ball and go somewhere else.

From what I remember the land taxes that Irving should be paying was about 4-5 mil, but would rather pay 500k instead...or else. The Irvings pretty much own NB, along with most of the maritimes, it's great to see that they are healthy contributors to their gov't and communities. *sarcasm*

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Re: RE: LNG PLANT

mrmom2 said:
LNG is very dangerous ,Highly explosive are they using under ground storage missile?
No,above ground facilities are what the Irvings have on their drawing boards.Another problem could be our infamous high tides as this Gas is coming in by sea.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
galianomama said:
hey missile - where is the plant located? it's not down by the waterfront is it? remember where the old oil burning plant use to be? (i use to live in halifax a long time ago)....although i would imagine that area is now high end housing.

i don't understand why they don't harness either wind or use the bay of fundy for more power. it has always amazed me the 'sweetheart' deals that constantly go on with the irvings. very scary - but such same ol' stuff. when will they wake up to some fundamental changes? i guess irvings basically run the maritimes anyways, although i thought they had backed off some of their interests. update me!
It's supposed to be going in near where his giant oil storage tanks are located in the eastern part of the city. Our waterfont is fairly well cleaned up now and there is some of those high priced condos in part of it.The old Sugar Refinery location is about to be given the same treatment..most of the uptownn area is reallydead.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
we use to live on bishop street right off of barrington (i think) near the lt. govenor's place. you could walk to town, but it was in pretty rough shape around there. we had a three storey walk up - wood - you could see outside thru the corners of the walls. cold water flat and i think we paid about $80 month. that was good considering at the time most apartments were around $500. you can imagine what it was like! good times....i remember it well.

they use to clean the flues of the oil plant behind us in the morning and it made a terrible sound, and of course the whole building just shook to the core. if you put anything outside it was covered in black dust. yeah, the good ol' days. :wink:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Before they were forced to put "scrubbers"on the Pulp mill stacks,most of the West Side would have a fine white residue over their houses,cars,grass,nearly every day.Naturally,the Irving spin doctors told us it was harmless! And the fumes from the Refinery out East-some days you don't want to dare light a match! In our first apartment here,we had an indoor pool every time it rained and the mice used to sit by us and watch our old black and white Tv with us.Cute litle buggers they were :)

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Hey missile, are the cruise ships still coming into Saint John? It seemed to give quite a boost to the economy there, no?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
They should be starting the season here soon. I wish we had more to offer the tourists though-but the cruises do add quite a bit to the local incomes as they are.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Just a kind of update to this: According to Provincial Law,the City doesn't have the right to set tax rates yet,so the whole deal is up in the air.