Legalized Cat Killing

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
In 2 American states,the hunting of cats without collars is legal-providing much needed practice for the average hunter before he heads into the woods in search of the deer or moose. Several people here have trapped roaming cats and turned them over to the Animal Rescue League where they were euthanized.I'm neither for or against this idea,but just wondering if such a law would work here.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
What is wrong with people? If they catch them thats fine, but hunting them? The way people treat animals is sick. Animals need stonger protection under the law.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
How anyone can even consider hunting an animal exclusively kept as a pet is beyond me. There are plenty of wild animals to hunt if that's your hobby. And there's always Deerhunter in the bar to sharpen you shooting skills.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
why were the cats euthanized when turned over to the animal rescue league? wouldn't they want to find them good homes? or are stray cats a huge problem out there?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
galianomama said:
why were the cats euthanized when turned over to the animal rescue league? wouldn't they want to find them good homes? or are stray cats a huge problem out there?
I used to deliver to the rescue league,and there was a sign posted stating over 3000 cats and just over 1000 dogs were killed there in the average year. Yes,we do have a problem with strays,but most of that would go away if they only had responsible owners.

NickFun

Electoral Member
Cat's are tasty if prepared properly and are a delicacy in China and India (Not that I could ever eat it). Feral cats are not the cuddly creatures that curl up in your lap but nasty things that bite and cause disease.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Wisconsin was the 3rd US state to bring in this type of legislation[voting on it yesterday]Part of their reasons for it were the estimated millions of song birds these cats kill.Note: There once were many stray cats roaming by the small mall in my area,until a Chinese restaurant opened up.None there now[could just be a coincidence,but I won't eat any meat products there]

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'd like to see open hunting on irresponsible pet owners.

I feed feral cats that live near the Patullo bridge. They are not nasty they are not mean. They simply learned that humans are unpredictable and irresponsible.

I also volunteer at a no kill shelter where I have to witness the atrocities people put cats under. It's enough to make any caring human become a people hater.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I have to witness the atrocities people put cats under. It's enough to make any caring human become a people hater.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, there are things that people do for fun to animals which is repulsive. There were issues with animal abuse on PEI a couple years ago, and the kicker is, is that there are no laws protecting pets here from that kind of abuse. The only law that have regarding animal cruelty is for comercial farm animals, not domesticated pets. :?

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Note: There once were many stray cats roaming by the small mall in my area,until a Chinese restaurant opened up.None there now[could just be a coincidence,but I won't eat any meat products there]

That'd be almost funny if I didn't think it was true. That is :angry7: :puke:

Jo Canadian said:
I have to witness the atrocities people put cats under. It's enough to make any caring human become a people hater.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, there are things that people do for fun to animals which is repulsive. There were issues with animal abuse on PEI a couple years ago, and the kicker is, is that there are no laws protecting pets here from that kind of abuse. The only law that have regarding animal cruelty is for comercial farm animals, not domesticated pets. :?

AHHH. I see. So, it's only a crime to torture an animal if there can be a profit made off of it?!! Twisted.
So, you have successfully burst my bubble- PEI's not perfect after all..... 8O

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Re: RE: Legalized Cat Killing

missile said:
4 words about how terrible P.E.I.is: Anne of Green Gables :twisted:

Contrare...that's one of the best things to come out of Canada, period. dude.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
4 words about how terrible P.E.I.is: Anne of Green Gables

They may have overkilled it just a little bit here, but what can you do when it helps you make money? There's nothing much else to do. A surplus of potatos in canada has reduced the price to where they just sit in wharehouses now, and our fisheries...well, as seasonal as they are and the decline of sea life in general. The new outrage at the fur industry has caused some distributors in the States to boycott seafood. Somehow I guess they should be related but if they are it's circumstantial at best.

So in the end, when the Japaneese flock over to the island with a rabid & fanatical obsession for Anne. YEAH! I'd pimp out Anne for a few $$$. :lol:

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
What's the deal w/ the "PEI.....for now"?
You looking to get the heck out of dodge, so-to-speak?

Not Particularly. Family is all here but I've been living all over the place and never know when I'll move. So far (in order) it's been: Inuvik (born),Ft. Norman, Ft. Smith, Edmonton, Cambridge Bay (two moves within), Kugluktuk, Cam bay again, Yellowknife (three moves), Kugluktuk, Kelowna (three moves), Kugluktuk, Ft. Mcmurray, Athabasca, Halifax (two moves), Charlottetown (two moves), Edmonton (two moves), Athabasca, Colinton, Cornwall PE, now York PE.

I've come to the understanding that I hate moving, but if my wife ends up having to do Skool in Manitoba, I guess I'll be adding more to the list.